2013 fz8 break in with garage mods......

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
@Banky2112 Did you get a new Front Master Cylinder? The brakes may be a little more squishy than you're used to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

No I didn't, but I plan on getting a Brembo master cylinder eventually anyways......
Just one more thing to modify :D

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Gotta change out the front tire tomorrow and then take her for a spin if it's warm enough......

Also I will have my 2013 forks, brakes, wheel (no tire) up for sale.....
I'll start another thread for that though.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
So! Now I got my tire changed and I will be going for a test ride cold or not tomorrow to see how the ecu reflash and the new suspension feel.....
:D

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Hey guys I'm finally gonna get to take the fz8 for a spin with the new reflash and new suspension on it!!! Let you know how it goes.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
So, the bike feels strong, I think having the flies back in actually helps midrange. The suspension feels good, but I ant really stretch it out cause of all the water and sand on the roads still..... But! Nothing Broke! And that's always good!

FZ8Ryder

It did however take some creative relocation of the voltage regulator and the rear brake reservoir, but I managed to do it without cutting or drilling anything so it turned out nice. Also of note is the 1.5 inches of drop it gave my rear, my kickstand is almost straight up and down lol.

Hey Banky I know you did this a while ago and have since changed to the R1 shock but how much did the R6 shock improve the ride feeling compared to the stock set up? Thanks!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Well basically the r6s shock is pretty much the same as an r1 shock.... Except you get more adjustments with the r1.

It helps a lot in my opinion, but! You had to make it really really soft because of the front springs, but it still helped.

It seems to be....... That
50$ - fz1
120$ - 150$ r1 with adapter.
600$? - ohlins.....

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Sorry, got off topic, the r6 shock felt....? "Sporty" I guess. But it was a bit squirly on bumpy roads (really bumpy not like not nice roads) but in the mountains on RT 33 it was really smooth on the slightly uneven tight u shaped turns and degrading radius turns.

BUT you couldn't get to the adjustments once it was bolted in, and an r1 shock is like 10$ more.... So don't even bother, I did it cause it was free lol

FZ8Ryder

Sorry, got off topic, the r6 shock felt....? "Sporty" I guess. But it was a bit squirly on bumpy roads (really bumpy not like not nice roads) but in the mountains on RT 33 it was really smooth on the slightly uneven tight u shaped turns and degrading radius turns.

BUT you couldn't get to the adjustments once it was bolted in, and an r1 shock is like 10$ more.... So don't even bother, I did it cause it was free lol

Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it. Only thing with the R1 shock I was hesitant about was then having to get the satan shock adapter and cutting parts.
So adjust-ability on the R1 shock is a lot better and better feel? Not too much of a shock for a 150lb rider like myself? I do two up occasionally and will be a bit more. Or would the FZ1 shock be a better choice? Sorry for all the questions.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it. Only thing with the R1 shock I was hesitant about was then having to get the satan shock adapter and cutting parts.
So adjust-ability on the R1 shock is a lot better and better feel? Not too much of a shock for a 150lb rider like myself? I do two up occasionally and will be a bit more. Or would the FZ1 shock be a better choice? Sorry for all the questions.

Well you need the adapter for both. The adapter adjust the "eye" to "eye" level. Which is the two bolt up spots for the shock. If you don't use the adapter both the r6 shock and the r1 shock will lower your bike by about 1.5 inches.

I did the r6 shock with no adapter, the r1 with an adapter.

If the spring rates aren't right, call racetech, it's a 70$ fix I think. They will match it to how you ride and your weight.

Yes! It is so a worth while upgrade, the 2008 r1 shock has high and low speed compression, plus regular rebound and compression dampening, so it really is way more adjustable than I can mess with, I'm going to take it to a shop and pay like a measly 50$ to have them do a baseline suspension tune for normal riding and I'll adjust from there.

In the long run I think the r1 shocks with the SATAN adapters are the best way to go for those of us that don't want an ohlins.

And the different year shocks require different adapters so make sure you talk to SATAN666 before you buy one to see if he has another adapter.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
OKEY DOKEY!
So I've ridden the bike a few times in between the snow :mad: and it is a whole different bike! I'm so digging it now, I mean hey.... I loved it before but now....wow

So, 3rd gear wheelies, no problem.
Holeshots, no problem.
R1 front brakes are KILLER.
Have had NO fuel issues or limp mode issues since the re-flash.

I do need to adjust my rear set for my shifter though.... I'm getting my foot snagged inbetween the kickstand and the shifter. Causing me to mis shift.

So, next project for me I think is to do a sprocket change with a speedo healer.
Then maybe a RSM clutch lever, and a Brembo brake master cylinder.
Then powdercoaters the wheels and maybe the sub frame support bars under the seat......

Hmmmm :sinister:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
The rear is a little Brembo master cylinder. But I'm talking about basically a racing brake lever.

Since I put r1 6piston brakes on, I would like to do SS lines and a Brembo lever, just cause :D