2011 FZ8 on its way....mod suggestions?

H

Hoover

Is the stock suspension really that bad?

In a word, no.

Sure it is a little soft at both ends, crank the rear up a couple of clicks and I doubt you will have any issues for regular spirited riding.
I know CW did a feature on it and said it was way too soft, however, these guys are professional riders, riding twisties they ride all day every day on a number of different bikes. It is their job to spot the differences.
I consider myself to be a decent rider and here in Wisconsin, we have some great roads that I know quite well, and although occasionally felt that the suspension could be better, I have never felt that I couldn't push the bike to either its or my limits.
If anything, the tires are the true weak link. Not bad, but certainly not the greatest. I will wear them out before I replace them though. Again, this is not a big sports track bike. Take it for what it is.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Decided that a LED integrated light is better avenue for the look I want. As far as I know, there are no options for undertail kits for the FZ8 yet. License plate relocation to left axle looks good IMO.

H

Hoover

Decided that a LED integrated light is better avenue for the look I want. As far as I know, there are no options for undertail kits for the FZ8 yet. License plate relocation to left axle looks good IMO.

Doesn't need an undertail kit, it is already filled in. There are plenty of "tail tidy" kits available for it.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Doesn't need an undertail kit, it is already filled in. There are plenty of "tail tidy" kits available for it.

Yeah, I have seen all the fender eliminator kits. I just like the idea of having just a tail light that has signal lights integrated.

Frengo

Is the stock suspension really that bad?

Well, it's a matter of opinion, after all...

One could ride for thousands of miles and feel comfortable. Instead, I can notice the rear shock "squeezing" too much when wide opening the throttle exiting from turns... This always results in turns wider than expected. Furthermore, when riding with pillion and hitting large bumps the rear shock often reaches the lower stroke limit (not very comfortable for your butt!).
The main reason for these problems is the fact that this unit has no adjustments but the spring preload. At least a rebound adjustment should be present, just to balance the unit when loading the spring...
Please notice that I'm just 150 lbs, and my wife is 100: just the average values used by all the bike designers.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Well, it's a matter of opinion, after all...

One could ride for thousands of miles and feel comfortable. Instead, I can notice the rear shock "squeezing" too much when wide opening the throttle exiting from turns... This always results in turns wider than expected. Furthermore, when riding with pillion and hitting large bumps the rear shock often reaches the lower stroke limit (not very comfortable for your butt!).
The main reason for these problems is the fact that this unit has no adjustments but the spring preload. At least a rebound adjustment should be present, just to balance the unit when loading the spring...
Please notice that I'm just 150 lbs, and my wife is 100: just the average values used by all the bike designers.

Hmm, thats food for thought. I am 200 and my GF is 120. Do you have the spring preload adjusted?

Frengo

Hmm, thats food for thought. I am 200 and my GF is 120. Do you have the spring preload adjusted?

Yes, but adjusting the spring preload is just a "static" adjustment, it sets the point where the unit will start to work. No influence on the dynamic performance (that's what really counts)... For that, you should have some hydraulic adjustments and a good overall quality (on a low-quality unit, the adjustments are generally useless, because the related components are too cheap and then inaccurate).

impostor1981

I agree with Frengo and will say that again. Rear shock is ok for Sunday ride outs. If you want to have some fun on the bike and push it a little bit it will lack of performance.
Not even that when I went for week trip and the bike was loaded (no passenger) on the humps the shock was either bottoming out is set to hardest or jumping all around the place if set to softer (not softest)

Definitely either spring or all shock needs some upgrade

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Ordered so far.

Givi A287 Windscreen
Integrated Signal LED Tail Light (Smoke)
Rumble Concept Ghost Flush Mount LED Signals (Smoke)
Rumble Concept L.E.D. Flash Controllers Easy Plug Relay
Black Shogun Frame Sliders
Kuryakyn License Plate Helmet Lock with Mount
License Plate Relocation Frame (Vertical on Axle)
(2) Black Universal Motorcycle LED License Plate Light Bolt
Bar End Mirrors

I will be taking that gigantic mudgaurd off the back of the bike and will be tail-less.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Rear shock is ok for Sunday ride outs.

I don't have any aspirations for anything more than a Sunday ride out to be honest. I don't plan on tracking it or taking "spirited rides" if you will. I have a healthy fear of riding motorcycles in general and don't particulary care for taking it to its limits. No offense towards others who do, just not my thing.

C

Camo

I don't have any aspirations for anything more than a Sunday ride out to be honest. I don't plan on tracking it or taking "spirited rides" if you will. I have a healthy fear of riding motorcycles in general and don't particulary care for taking it to its limits. No offense towards others who do, just not my thing.
Why not just buy a scooter? :slap:

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Why not just buy a scooter? :slap:

So because I don't want to break the law and possibly kill myself means I don't want to have fun on the bike?

If you truly need to go beyond the stock suspension setup, you are either
a.) going well above the speed limit.
-or-
b.) racing on a track

Just my opinion, you may disagree if you like. Here in the United States, we have speed limits and I plan on keeping my license. ;)

C

Camo

So because I don't want to break the law and possibly kill myself means I don't want to have fun on the bike?

If you truly need to go beyond the stock suspension setup, you are either
a.) going well above the speed limit.
-or-
b.) racing on a track

Just my opinion, you may disagree if you like. Here in the United States, we have speed limits and I plan on keeping my license. ;)
You've stated you're modding the fuck out of your FZ8 but you're going to cruise around on Sundays on it?
I just think you bought the wrong bike. It's a naked sports bike, not a cruiser. Spirited riding is just getting your bike and yourself to your safe limit while getting your lean angle on? Modding your bike to make that experience better is a worthwhile pursuit. But what you're saying is, you're going to mod that bike and ride around waving to folk as you gently cruise through the suburbs?
I don't get it man but each to their own. I'm not here to judge but it just seems a tad strange I guess.
No offence.

impostor1981

Well if I stick to the speed limits all the time I would only need first and second gear. Sorry but just opening the throttle on this bike makes u a speed offender.

C

calscrazy

i have a friend with a 999r and i dont think that thing has ever broken the speed limit. alot of people just "cruise" around. any jerk off can go fast in a straight line. just watch the news here in DFW for proof of that. the key is if you are doing 60 in the straights can you take that 20 mph curve at 60?!

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
You've stated you're modding the fuck out of your FZ8 but you're going to cruise around on Sundays on it?
I just think you bought the wrong bike. It's a naked sports bike, not a cruiser. Spirited riding is just getting your bike and yourself to your safe limit while getting your lean angle on? Modding your bike to make that experience better is a worthwhile pursuit. But what you're saying is, you're going to mod that bike and ride around waving to folk as you gently cruise through the suburbs?
I don't get it man but each to their own. I'm not here to judge but it just seems a tad strange I guess.
No offence.

Not here to judge? You could have fooled me.....

I think we are just on the wrong page. I am doing mostly aesthetic mods first of all. The only "performance" mod I am planning on is exhaust, and that is mainly for sound. All I am saying is that I am not going to be doing anything too crazy. Sure, I will take a couple entrance ramps in a spirited manner, or a couple back roads at a reasonable speed, but I don't intend on doing 25 mph backroads at 60+ mph. If I wanted a sportbike for speed and handling, I wouldn't have got an FZ8 either. That's what CBR's, R1's, and R6's are for in my opinion.

I got this bike for the ergonomics and looks. But as you said, to each their own.

Speedo007

I think the important is to do with the bike what you enjoy doing. That simple. I had a Triumph Scrambler with upgraded suspensions and would scrape the crap out of the pegs on entrance ramps...was also cool for just cruising around. The bike wasn't intended for sport riding, but that's how i used it when I felt like it. :)

And hutru I wish I was like you. I'd have better chances at keeping my license. I always thought with time I'd calm down, but it seems the minute I hear my Yoshimura begging for more I just can't resist and go back to having the judgment of a teenager hehe

Last edited:
C

Camo

Originally Posted by hutru01

And then
Not here to judge? You could have fooled me.....

I think we are just on the wrong page. I am doing mostly aesthetic mods first of all. The only "performance" mod I am planning on is exhaust, and that is mainly for sound. All I am saying is that I am not going to be doing anything too crazy. Sure, I will take a couple entrance ramps in a spirited manner, or a couple back roads at a reasonable speed, but I don't intend on doing 25 mph backroads at 60+ mph. If I wanted a sportbike for speed and handling, I wouldn't have got an FZ8 either. That's what CBR's, R1's, and R6's are for in my opinion.

I got this bike for the ergonomics and looks. But as you said, to each their own.

Could have fooled you? Yeah ok.
Do you even know what you're saying?

Last edited:

K-Gr.

It's a naked sports bike, not a cruiser.

That is US influence. Nakeds are sold in US labeled as "sport bikes". Just because they are hell of a lot faster then Harleys, does not make them a sport. In Europe such bikes like FZ are sold simply as "naked bike", or "standard". They are meant to be affordable everyday "do-it-all" bikes. Not sports. I know, i know, it is just naming. But from a sport bike one expects a sport performance, where do-it-all should... well, do it all :) And if something is good for everything, it is basically not brilliant in anything.

So Hutru01, cruise around, have fun, don't listen :)