2011 FZ8 on its way....mod suggestions?

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Ok, I have to admit, I am a bit excited about getting my new FZ8 (this one has 300 miles on it, but basically new). The paperwork has begun for the title, bill of sale, etc

It is bone stock and has a factory warranty until 2013.

What I have in mind for modifications.

1.) Givi A287 Smoke Windscreen
2.) LED Integrated Tail Light With Turn Signals
3.) License Plate Relocation to Axle
4.) Bar End Mirrors
5.) Frame Sliders (Brand suggestions?)
6.) Belly Cowl

Last edited:

K-Gr.

3.) I like the stock one to be honest. Isn't it better to invest the money elsewhere?

7.) Does exhaust void the warranty in US? If not - do yourself this pleasure and swap it for something that will unleash the sound somewhat :)
8.) Blinkers?
9.) Grips and levers? ( match them both with bar ends and the bike will look much more expensive :) I suggest a mix of black and gold )

10.) Mirrors? I am planning to swap mine - i cant see c**p in stock ones. Plus they do not look too good...

D

DJK1505

Def want to get an exhaust, stock it sounds like a sewing machine.

rear sets, stock ones look cheesy as hell, and I hated the rubber on top. Never felt like I had good footing.

new blinkers

new shorty levers

stainless steel brake lines

PCV

gut the cat

radiator protector

-1 front sprocket

take the crappy metal weight off your wheels, go buy some dyna balance beads

the list goes on man......

hypo

suggestions?

1. Mirrors and rip off that rooster tail rear end and put a tail tidy on there with nicer turn signals.... and I went with EOS Frame sliders. super fast response to requests.

THEN RIDE IT.

The rest will come.

it seems when it comes to exhaust everyone has a different opinion... i love my two bros... and if you want to make sure its not crazy loud make sure you pick up a DB killer for whatever pipe you get

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
it seems when it comes to exhaust everyone has a different opinion... i love my two bros... and if you want to make sure its not crazy loud make sure you pick up a DB killer for whatever pipe you get

I have an oldschool Cherrybomb glasspack muffler on my 92 CB750. It makes me happy and isn't too loud in my opinion. It isn't like straight pipes or anything.

impostor1981

Tail tidy, exhaust, braided hoses, mirrors, frame sliders, swing arm sliders, rear sets, front and rear suspension, lower handlebars, short levers

:D

minja714

most important mod this bike can ever get is love. lots and lots of love. that should be primary.

then maybe a yoshi after that.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Frame sliders, center stand is all i added. Loved the bike when i bought it, not going to change a thing, especially the exhaust, love the original black one and hate noise. Oh i did get a set of saddlebags for camping trips. Congrats on the purchase, great bike IMO.

C

Camo

I bought the rear cowl and belly pan with the bike and put a tail tidy on last week. I got some L valve extenders for the tires as the stock are near impossible to get to. I'm sizing up end cans in a month or so and for me, the Mivv is looking like the clear choice. Braided brake lines front and rear will also happen this year at some point.

I've also noticed the rear is getting softer and softer as the Km's go by. So maybe in time (after i buy a house later this year) I'll swap that out and have the front reworked at the same time.
I'm hoping the exhaust clears up the flat spot between 5 and 7000rpm, If not I guess headers and a power commander maybe on the cards.
That or I'll sell the bike, cut my losses and buy something that suits better right out of the box, I dunno?
Don't get me wrong, this is a great bike but I often wonder if I shouldn't have bought the FZ1.

packnrat

been looking at mufflers. and they are all too fat.

does any out there make a good sound level (as in NO tickets) , say about 100 dbs? and it is not a fat or big turd looking thing?

i know...i know, little = noise. and big fat turds = quiet. i like a nice rumble. not a ear splitter.

even on my little buell blast (500 cc) one can here the vance and hines lack of muffler, 10 miles away. when i am on the top of the hill north of the little dragon.

would hate to open it up in down town sf..:eek5:
it would disturb some of the suits...then a new law would be made just for me :spank:

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Looks like I will most likely pick the bike up on Saturday. This one is bone stock with 300 miles.

Frengo

The very first mod should be a serious suspension setting... Throwing away that... thing at the rear, mounting a good shock absorber unit and finally balancing the front fork as well.
After achieving a good handling, one cold think about fashion and sound... IMHO

impostor1981

Agree, thats why my front has already been changed to FZ1 forks and just waiting for appointment to get my rear shock replaced by custom made Maxton RT10 :D

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
The very first mod should be a serious suspension setting... Throwing away that... thing at the rear, mounting a good shock absorber unit and finally balancing the front fork as well.
After achieving a good handling, one cold think about fashion and sound... IMHO

Is the stock suspension really that bad?

kbrink

In my humble opinion, the rear suspension works fine, for "normal" street riding. I do admit that I've dialed it in a bit to my likings and I do not run it on a track, but for me (being 150 lbs.) its fine.
On a different note, don't be afraid to take a closer look at some DANMOTO pipes, I bought the "JISU" slip on for $150 and like it very much. :D
Check out the link below:
http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/405-danmoto-jisu-exhaust.html?highlight=danmoto

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
In my humble opinion, the rear suspension works fine, for "normal" street riding. I do admit that I've dialed it in a bit to my likings and I do not run it on a track, but for me (being 150 lbs.) its fine.
On a different note, don't be afraid to take a closer look at some DANMOTO pipes, I bought the "JISU" slip on for $150 and like it very much. :D
Check out the link below:
http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/405-danmoto-jisu-exhaust.html?highlight=danmoto

I am 200 lbs. I guess I will just have to see how it feels. I will be coming from a 92 Honda CB750 that had two rear progressive shocks.