180hp FZ8?

Sinooch

yea it could be. im seriously interested in this but the thing is. i dont want to spend that much money on a kit for the wrong year

Umyaya

I don't know if all that power could be used on the street... I'm working towards getting faster in the corners and not in the straights. I feel like the FZ8 is enough bike if you spend the time developing riding skills.

Sinooch

In my area because we dont really have any long windy roads its mostly straights. You can find long windy roads around here but you have to travel a bit out of the way

elim70

yea it could be. im seriously interested in this but the thing is. i dont want to spend that much money on a kit for the wrong year

07-08 r1 cams gears etc. I got my cams with gears on eBay for $40 shipped, used of course. Gonna try this next season. 143 rwhp with stock r1 components seems like a reach to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elim70

It's not that special. It's called the R779 conversion. Basically it's just the top end works of an R1 shoved inside the cylinder head of the FZ-8. Cams, valves, the works. My set up comes from the Yamaha Performance Package built for the R1 (most people just use the stock R1 cams). I got lucky because I knew a guy who happened to be parting out his totaled R1, and already had them installed. I also have a custom exhaust, and an ECU flash.

Are the valves a direct fit or is machine work necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhyno54

Wish i could do those mods, living in Cali kinda sucks can't even get a full exhaust system shipped here

El Clarko

i have a 2011 fz8, and was wondering what are the costs of doing a mod like that with the stock r1 components you mentioned and if i put a full exhaust system on it what kind of horsepower and torque would i be getting? thanks for responding.

With just the stock R1 parts you would make around 115-125, with the full exhaust and proper tune, i would predict damn close to 130. I make more because I use race cams, and what not

Last edited:

El Clarko

M/C upgrade suggestions - Page 4 - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

This guy has the r1 cams and produces 110 bhp. Not questioning your integrity. Why wouldnt he produce the 115-125bhp? Whats the missing link? Ecu or exhaust not tuned right? He doesnt mention valves. I dont see how valves could produce much more power.

Making horse power is really simple. Basically you change the rate of how much air and gas is inside the combustion chambers. Valves play a huge part in how much gas and air is put into the cylinder head. Longer, thicker intake valves allow more gas and air into the cylinder head which creates a higher combustion ratio which gives it more power, while the the longer, thicker exhaust valves cycle the leftovers from combustion out of the cylinder head at a faster rate. Why he makes 110, it could be that his exhaust is too restrictive, it's tuned differently, or really anything. Remember this too, when I said 115-125, I was estimating off of what I've heard and what I have. My guess is, that he didn't use the valves. to be honest I don't really hear about people using the valves either. That was my little experiment. They just happened to fit with some minor machine work.

kevweez

I agree and am really interested in this mod but as a shade tree mechanic, I would like full details and what sacrifices in reliability etc. It's a really interesting deal that I would like a lot more info on If possible. Thanks!!!!

Ready4Launch

So I'm looking to get some big power out my FZ8. I've already done the R779 using Yamaha performance cams, valves, valve springs, ect ect. for the R1. Now it rates 143 hp to the wheel on premium pump gas. I'm looking to get around 180hp on pump without using a turbo or nitrous. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried that. I know it wont be the easiest project, but it's not impossible either.

Come back and give better details, please! Your link to the Yamaha site is not right.

Satan666

Call Me A Skeptic . . .

So I'm looking to get some big power out my FZ8. I've already done the R779 using Yamaha performance cams, valves, valve springs, ect ect. for the R1. Now it rates 143 hp to the wheel on premium pump gas. I'm looking to get around 180hp on pump without using a turbo or nitrous. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried that. I know it wont be the easiest project, but it's not impossible either.

With just the stock R1 parts you would make around 115-125, with the full exhaust and proper tune, i would predict damn close to 130. I make more because I use race cams, and what not

Making horse power is really simple. Basically you change the rate of how much air and gas is inside the combustion chambers. Valves play a huge part in how much gas and air is put into the cylinder head. Longer, thicker intake valves allow more gas and air into the cylinder head which creates a higher combustion ratio which gives it more power, while the the longer, thicker exhaust valves cycle the leftovers from combustion out of the cylinder head at a faster rate. Why he makes 110, it could be that his exhaust is too restrictive, it's tuned differently, or really anything. Remember this too, when I said 115-125, I was estimating off of what I've heard and what I have. My guess is, that he didn't use the valves. to be honest I don't really hear about people using the valves either. That was my little experiment. They just happened to fit with some minor machine work.

Hmm, 'R779 Conversion' only Googles to this forum. Included links don't work. No photos. No certified dyno charts. No specifics. '180 HP' + 'at the rear wheel' + 'not impossible' (220 Hp/liter un-asperated w/o nitrous!). Can't even begin . . . 'Move on, nothing to see here . . '

Mom's calling, your dinner is ready!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
DJ is the only guy I know that did this mod, he used the cams from the 2008 R1...... And had Marthy help him doing Autotune on a PCV.
With this being said, he DID NOT get any where near 140hp......

If you want more power, you need more than just the cams....

1. the ECU needs to be unlocked so you can control timing.
2. you need the Cams for more RPM, so you can concentrate on top end.
3. you need to get a bigger Bore plate.
4. need bigger pistons for the bigger bore plate.
5. need 2008 R1 head, because your new bore plate will exceed the dimensions of the valves on the head.
5. Need to read the Italian thread on THIS FORUM where a guy did all this that im talking about...... and use google translator lol
6. use the search a little bit more.........
http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-technical/3845-fz8-big-r1-heart.html

Last edited: