180hp FZ8?

El Clarko

So I'm looking to get some big power out my FZ8. I've already done the R779 using Yamaha performance cams, valves, valve springs, ect ect. for the R1. Now it rates 143 hp to the wheel on premium pump gas. I'm looking to get around 180hp on pump without using a turbo or nitrous. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried that. I know it wont be the easiest project, but it's not impossible either.

Bagman

Damn - you must really love the FZ8. All the money could have just gone into a faster bike right from the get-go.

bimmertech12

So I'm looking to get some big power out my FZ8. I've already done the R779 using Yamaha performance cams, valves, valve springs, ect ect. for the R1. Now it rates 143 hp to the wheel on premium pump gas. I'm looking to get around 180hp on pump without using a turbo or nitrous. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried that. I know it wont be the easiest project, but it's not impossible either.
Could we get more details on your build?

El Clarko

Could we get more details on your build?

It's not that special. It's called the R779 conversion. Basically it's just the top end works of an R1 shoved inside the cylinder head of the FZ-8. Cams, valves, the works. My set up comes from the Yamaha Performance Package built for the R1 (most people just use the stock R1 cams). I got lucky because I knew a guy who happened to be parting out his totaled R1, and already had them installed. I also have a custom exhaust, and an ECU flash.

El Clarko

Damn - you must really love the FZ8. All the money could have just gone into a faster bike right from the get-go.

It's not that I have a special love for the FZ8 itself, It's my particular FZ8. We have a connection, and she's become a part of me. She's literally like a prosthetic extension of me, and I'm just as much a part of her.

bimmertech12

Do you have part #s, tune info, etc? The only R779 build ive seen was in italian and poorly translated. I think alot of members would be interested, including myself

El Clarko

Do you have part #s, tune info, etc? The only R779 build ive seen was in italian and poorly translated. I think alot of members would be interested, including myself

Like I said, I got the parts from someone who previously bought them from the factory. This link will take you to the sight where he got them Yamaha Racing Parts. Or you could just use the top end parts from a stock R1. You'll get a little less power but it's much cheaper. You cannot use the actual cylinder head though, it wont work. The stroke and bore from the R1 won't match up with the FZ8. I't actually not very hard to do, all the parts from the cylinder head of an R1 will fit with relative ease. It's a win win, because you don't sacrifice revs for power like you do with some builds.

El Clarko

This link will take you to the exact top end set up I have. The cheaper option is to use The stock top end, but I'll leave that up to you. Yamaha Racing Parts You'll get less power but save money.

The actual cylinder head from the R1 will not match up with out a bore job, but all the parts will fit inside the FZ8 head with relative ease. The valve clearance has been good too.I was worried about that when I put her together, but she's been running fine with no tapping or valve knocking. I double checked the pistons, and there's no marks so the valves aren't hitting the pistons. As for the actual build, It's really easy. It's literally just putting the top end parts of an R1 inside the head of an FZ8.

El Clarko

Here's the link to the top end set up I have Yamaha Racing Parts It wont be cheap, but a cheaper option is to just use the stock R1 cams. Less Hp in the end, but it usually costs an average of 500 bucks and is good for around 120hp.

The build its self is easy. Just take the top end works of an R1 and cram them inside the head of an FZ8. To my knowledge an R1 head it's self wont work with the difference in bore, but everything inside the head will fit with relative ease into the FZ8.

El Clarko

I keep trying to post the link to the site, but if you Google Yamaha racing parts, you'll find everything I have in my bike. The cheaper option would be to just use the cams and all from a stock R1. A little less power, but unless you can find someone with a totaled R1 who happens to have that package, it's the cheapest option. It's good for around 120 if you use stock R1 components. It's an easy upgrade because everything fits inside the FZ8 head with relative ease.

Bagman

It's not that I have a special love for the FZ8 itself, It's my particular FZ8. We have a connection, and she's become a part of me. She's literally like a prosthetic extension of me, and I'm just as much a part of her.

Ya - that's not healthy. lol.

TorontoAlex

Is it just me or is the YEC racing site sketchy? I see terms like "Shaft Cam" and sentences like "must be used together with kit camshaft". No images for half the parts. All in euros, no USD etc. The site appears cheap in general.

b-eock

If I ordered parts, it's gonna be from a website and company that I know to be reputable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

cmurder

Pillion
bring that sucka to raleigh on of these days would love to see it ... gonna try to do the 779 conversion maybe this year still but will prob have to wait till next spring

Umyaya

That would be unreal.. I can't even imagine it.. There is a Youtube video of a FZ1 with like a turbo on the internet in Europe.. Wheel is off the ground through like 6 gear!

Rhyno54

i have a 2011 fz8, and was wondering what are the costs of doing a mod like that with the stock r1 components you mentioned and if i put a full exhaust system on it what kind of horsepower and torque would i be getting? thanks for responding.

Sinooch

i have a 2011 fz8, and was wondering what are the costs of doing a mod like that with the stock r1 components you mentioned and if i put a full exhaust system on it what kind of horsepower and torque would i be getting? thanks for responding.

well in his original post he did say he made 143 HP to the wheel