1000KMS check

JSP

Administrator
just wanna know what they do for your first check at the dealer, and what did they charge you

Charge you a stupid amount for a glorified oil change. They will check chain slack, clutch lever free play, change oil... maybe check some bolts, etc. All things you can do for $40. They will charge 4-5x that much. I have never let a dealer service my bike unless it was for a warranty issue. Do the work yourself, get to know your bike, and you will KNOW it was done right. Everything is in your owners manual for when and what needs to be "checked" and when service items need to be done.

grimm_reaper

I just did my 1000km service last night. Cost me $48 for 4 litres (manual says it hold 3100ml with a filter change) of Yamalube 10W-40 and a Yamaha oil filter. I wouldn't normally pay the extra money for Yamalube over another brand of 10W-40 conventional motorcycle oil, but because it's new and still under warranty this should help avoid any disputes should there be a warranty claim.

My dealer said the first service would be $130-$140 for what took me 15 minutes to complete. I was also told that as long as I kept my receipts and documented the service it shouldn't be a problem.

G Chase

Pillion
Paid $140.00. I know... there's one born every minute. Did it for warranty sake only. Hurt like hell to submit myself to this waste of $$$. Only thing I can verify that was done is an oil change and a probable 'round-the-block' thrashing because mileage was higher when I picked it up. Plus I was told all my little complaints and concerns were normal conditions for this machine.
In hindsight I should have loosened up some hardware or made something out of adjustment like tire pressure or brake light switch to see if those items were checked and corrected.

Oh well, that was the first and last time my FZ8 will see the inside of a MC shop except maybe to get throttle bodied sync'd because unfortunately I don't have the tools for that. I'm sure that will be another 'cha-ching' experience too.

RoadKill

Paid $140.00. I know... there's one born every minute. Did it for warranty sake only. Hurt like hell to submit myself to this waste of $$$. Only thing I can verify that was done is an oil change and a probable 'round-the-block' thrashing because mileage was higher when I picked it up. Plus I was told all my little complaints and concerns were normal conditions for this machine.
In hindsight I should have loosened up some hardware or made something out of adjustment like tire pressure or brake light switch to see if those items were checked and corrected.

Oh well, that was the first and last time my FZ8 will see the inside of a MC shop except maybe to get throttle bodied sync'd because unfortunately I don't have the tools for that. I'm sure that will be another 'cha-ching' experience too.

try $228 at New york Motorcycle in Queens.

I had to talk them down from $255.00 anything they do to your bike is $90 an hour. I didnt want to pay that much but as you said warranty etc...

JSP

Administrator
really? damn, they even have on the web site.

"REMEMBER, TO MAINTAIN YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR SCHEDULED SERVICES PERFORMED"

Whitey's Motorsports Group. New York's most trusted powersport dealer.

Yes, you need to do the service. It is against the law to require them or any shop to do it. By law they cannot void warranty for you doing your own work. Just keep a log book and keep receipts. ;)

Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs: Is Using the Dealer a Must?

AUTOPEDIA®:Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - United States Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

RoadKill

And if you do it yourself you can save the money for a torque wrench so those numbers in the manual can be put to use. :)

yeah i usually do all my services except keys ones like 1st and when valves are done. the FZ8 is actually my 10th MC ;)

This is the most i have ever paid for a first service by far though.

The Arsenal

It's my 1st Brand New bike I ever bought. So; like the lemming I am, I did what the manual said. I did what the dealer told me to do. And I got ram rodded for $165. Nice, eh?

H

Hoover

Dealer...Is that the place I bought my bike from?
Never been back...never will.

To all of you that are not that mechanically inclined, do a little research.
A simple oil change is not that difficult or expensive.

Not trying to be a dick, but it really is ridiculously simple and it will not void your warranty

lancercanada

this is my first time getting a brand new bike, the last 6 yrs ive owned a different bike every year and did all my own upgrades, oil changes and so on. i just want something different coming for a sport bikes.

if that the case ill do the work myself and keep all the documents.for that price i can do it myself and by a 24 of beer lol.

thanks guys

grimm_reaper

I justify spending money on upgrades by keeping track of how much I saved by doing my own maintenance versus getting it done at the dealer.

My wife seems to buy it..... :rolleyes:

:bs2:

JSP

Administrator
Now the laws that I posted are for United States. I am not sure if any other countries have the same laws regarding warranties, etc. Please verify that.

V

Vapordan

Now the laws that I posted are for United States. I am not sure if any other countries have the same laws regarding warranties, etc. Please verify that.

How did you become a super moderator? Any cash change hands under the table? :eek: i kid i kid

V

Vapordan

:D I am a super mod on the FZ6R site (also owned by Dennis) so I am helping out over here too since I have a FZ8 now. :tup:

was just drawing you out into the open, didn't quite provoke the reaction i was after :D.