Yamaha Rear Carrier - incompatible with Givi 366kit

mrtrumpy

Hi, just a heads up I've got the rear carrier fitted to my Fazer8 2012.

Decided to fit PLXR366 from Givi to take v35 side cases as well. I Didn't want the Givi monorack as already got the rear carrier attached and it's much more attractive than the Givi.

Turns out when I go to install, the Givi 366kit(required if you're not using the mono rack) the brackets are not compatible with the rear carrier as they share a mounting hole, and the rear carrier mounting hole surround is slightly different from the standard handle.

I could find nothing on web about this, apart from an Italian web site (that Google helpfully translated), where some guys had "modified" i.e. chopped out a bit of aluminium from the rear carrier to enable the bracket to fit. The results looked ok, and I'd hope that it doesn't affect the integrity or strength of the rear carrier?

I'm going to do this myself and will post a guide to the modification (providing it goes well!.

I've already done some shots of the rear carrier install, where you have to carve up your rear cowl (what were you thinking Yamaha?!?!) which I'll post as well.

I've advised/complained to Givi who say they'll update their site to advise the incompatibility, after they told me the retailer should have advised me. Although I pointed out how would the retailer know if Givi, doesn't tell anybody on their site or in the instructions.

I know this will only affect a minuscule number of people if any apart from me, but if you have the Yamaha rear carrier and plan on fitting Givi side cases (Givi 366kit for use without the monorack) be warned. Get your Dremel ready, get rid of your rear carrier and add the monorack as well or look for another luggage solution.

HeadFX

Hello fellow 'shire dweller! My work collegue has an FZ8 (so have I) and I think encountered the same problem. He certainly has the Yamaha rear carrier and *I think* the Givi side carriers. I'll see him tomorrow and ask him what he did to get it all to fit. It wasn't exactly a five minute job and I think he probably saw the same Italian instructions that you've found!

mrtrumpy

Thanks HeadFX, If it was the plxr366 for the v35 side cases , I look forward to hearing how he did! Hope his Italian translation was better than mine!