Yamaha LED turn signals installation problem

rawgee

So like the title says, i've bought two pairs of Yamaha LED turn signals for both front and rear. I've installed the fronts easily, the only thing was that the motorcycle had 3 cables, black, color and gray and the yamaha led had two, color and black so i had to leave the gray unconnected which results in the turn signals not always on... Pissed me off but i can live with that. (if you have a solution i am all ears ;) )

The problems is in the rear. I removed the cowl and the fender (i am installing a tail tidy as well) and then i noticed the cables aren't the same... I just don't get it so i'm stuck, i am really not got with electrical stuff...

So here is a few pictures so you can see it by yourself and help me if you can?

The Yamaha LED i ordered:

I know its in french but the gray is left, the black is right (totally different connectors) and the other two are the same as the LED but these are for the light of the license plate:

Is something wrong with my motorcycle? I've never seen that anywhere else, everybody has no problem with those, its plug n play and thats it... I don't understand...

What should i do?

Martin

(Please forgive my english)

Bagman

The Gray & Black funky connectors are the stock connectors. Completely OE spec for the motorcycle. I have the same connectors on my 2011 FZ8 Fazer. I just recently installed the Yamaha Tail Tidy, but kept the OE rear turn signals. The OE rear turn signals have the matching connectors, so I only needed to disconnect & reconnect.

Unfortunately (and freakin'-you-gotta-be-stupid-Yamaha), it appears the OE Yamaha LED turn signals are only using the bullet style connectors. If this is the case, I suspect you'll need to cut off the stock connectors (gray & black) from the bike's side, and crimp on bullet connectors to match up with the connectors the LED signals use.

THOUGHT: Be damn certain that Yamaha does not list DIFFERENT PART NUMBERS for front & rear LED turn signals. Perhaps you mistakenly (or parts guy ordered for you) two sets of front turn signals.

Hope that helps ya.

EDIT - for what it's worth, see this link. From your picture of the box, versus what this site lists specifically as REAR LEDs, you're missing a "-00" on the end of the part number. Interestingly, I can't locate a listing specific to front LEDs. lol. https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/det...upId=1&subGroupId=9&categoryId=172&itemId=795

Last edited:

OdinSon

Hey Martin, I'm taking a look at the service manual now, it looks like the grey connector is for the right turn signal the pair of connectors is the license plate tail light and the black connector is the left turn signal.

A quick check of google translate confirmed this.

The turn signals apparently only have the front signal connector and the rear turn signals use a different one. Its not really an issue but I believe whats going to have to happen is some splicing. There's a bunch of ways to do this. You could cut the connectors off and solder them together and wrap in electrical tape or shrink tube. Or you could buy some crimp style connectors and wrap them in electrical tape or shrink tube. Or you could cut the connectors off the old turn signals and new turn signals, then solder or use crimp connectors to attach the original turn signal connectors to the motorcycle. I personally would do option three.

OdinSon

Sorry I've been drinking so I forgot/didn't process the left and right information you posted.

Don't worry, splicing wires is a piece of cake. If you don'w know how to solder buy these from any auto parts store, harware store:

([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-RVBC-18-Gauge-Connector/dp/B0058TV05M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398482407&sr=8-6&keywords=wire+connector"]Amazon.com: Install Bay RVBC 22/18-Gauge Vinyl Connector, Red (100-Bag): Car Electronics[/ame])

You'll need wire cutters, wire strippers, and crimpers or plies and electrical tape also.

Cut the old connector off the old turn signals (you need this). Leave yourself at least and inch or two of wire from the connector. Use the wire strippers to strip about 3/8" to 1/2" from the end of the wire.

Cut the connector off the new turn signal and strip the same length of wire. Use those connector things to attach the old connector to the new turn signal. There should be a black wire and a colored wire. The black wires need to match, the other color doesn't.

You stick the wire into the connector and crush the metal part of the connector onto the wire.

Wrap electrical tape (or use a piece of shrink tube) over the wire and completely cover the connector. Working in a spiral and going over the whole thing works fine.

I only simplified this all out because you said you weren't good with electrical stuff, hopefully I didn't come off as condescending or anything. If So I didn't mean too.

Sorry the units aren't in metric. (I wish the US used metric, such a better system).

Bagman

...or you could cut the connectors off the old turn signals and new turn signals, then solder or use crimp connectors to attach the original turn signal connectors to the motorcycle. I personally would do option three.

Good thinking! This is your best option if you have to go the route of splicing/crimping. Leave the bike's side connectors all intact. Much easier and FAR more wiring to work with by cutting off the OE connectors from the stock turn signals and solder them on to the LED turn signals you bought. Naturally, you'll cut off the bullet connectors from the LED signals and expose some wire to solder them together. Buy a bit of shrink tubing and slide that on first so after you have soldered wires you can slide over the tube and lightly use a lighter to shrink the tubing over the solder job and protect it all better (and neater) than electrical tape.

rawgee

Wow! I never thought I would get these great answers and so much details this fast! Seriously guys thank you very much, I really appreciate it! Not sure which way ill go yet and I have a busy weekend coming up with the kids but thanks again ill keep you guys posted!

Martin

rawgee

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the situation and i'd like to thank Frederic (Zikolai)! I cannot believe there is still people like this on this planet in 2014. He, by himself, go to the post office to put the wiring kit I needed in the mail, and all that for free. That is just amazing!

Merci beaucoup Frédéric, j'espère qu'on va se croiser un de ses jours sur la route! J'ai beaucoup de respect pour les gens comme toi, si jamais tu viens dans le coin de Québec fais moi signe! Merci encore!

Martin

View attachment 3356

Last edited: