Yamaha Grab bars

12marsFZ8

Anyone installed the Yamaha grab bars for the passenger? if so, what kind of "modification" do you need to do to the rear cowl?

D

DJK1505

It is super easy. Once you take the tail piece off there are lines already in the plastic that you take a dremmel t,o and just follow the lines. Stay on the inside of the lines and trim once you test fit. I love the way it looks, and it gives me something to tie my pack up to, instead of having to wear the dang thing.

DJ

mano1192

yea its easy, takes about an hour with the dremel if you go slow and do a nice job. It does leave gaps which can allow water to get in. Check out my mods thread, I have pics in there showing the gaps. That was the only downside to it.

David3

Just ordered the passenger grab bars. Anyone pistures of the tail piece with the gaps but still without the mounted bars?

My dealer offers to do all the work for about 120 CHF (= about 125 USD / = about one hour of work) - do you think that would be a good deal?

David

mano1192

The money is worth it depending on what you value your time at, its all subjective. I personally do not think the dealer would do a better job than you can do yourself. If you have a dremmel have at it! :D

Just ordered the passenger grab bars. Anyone pistures of the tail piece with the gaps but still without the mounted bars?

My dealer offers to do all the work for about 120 CHF (= about 125 USD / = about one hour of work) - do you think that would be a good deal?

David

ZeeKdaGreeK

Have you guys left the bike in the rain? how much water gets into the bike? I'm using the bike year round as its my only means of transportation, i love the look but wouldnt wanna do it if the bike really starts to take in water

Levek

Have you guys left the bike in the rain? how much water gets into the bike? I'm using the bike year round as its my only means of transportation, i love the look but wouldnt wanna do it if the bike really starts to take in water
The pillion compartment is not water-tight to begin with. When I wash my bike I take the seat off and the compartment certainly gets soaked. There is no sign of corroded parts, water damage, or anything else that would cause me concern about water getting in there. Of course you must be mindful of what's stored in there... I have some tools and my laminated reg+ins, so no problems.

toothycardus

i ride my bike all year (only vehicle) never had an issue with water, i would imaging that some does get in but it has never affected the bike or the tool kit under the seat.

Wnwn4650

:tup::tup:
The pillion compartment is not water-tight to begin with. When I wash my bike I take the seat off and the compartment certainly gets soaked. There is no sign of corroded parts, water damage, or anything else that would cause me concern about water getting in there. Of course you must be mindful of what's stored in there... I have some tools and my laminated reg+ins, so no problems.