Yamaha FZ-09?

AlCab

Wow, on paper, I think this is quite an improvement over the FZ8, notably:

Bigger motor yet 53 lbs lighter.
More torque and horsepower (65 lbs•ft (the top of its class) and 113 hp) .
Has a gear indicator.
Costs $900 less.

I don't like the digital tach, the one piece seat, or the blue wheels on an otherwise black bike. Also, the suspension loses the compression damping adjustability compared to the 2013 FZ8.

If I was in the market today, I would hold out for the FZ-09 for sure.

thor

Looking forward, I wonder if they will use this new 3 cylinder platform and build a light new 850cc Adventure bike to compete with the Triumph Tiger 800xc dirt version. Now that would be bad ass. Sign me up!

+1

That would be a fun bike!

IceBerge12

Loos wise, I prefer my FZ8, it just looks mean and angry and this 09 isn't creating the lust that I had when I first saw the 8. However an inline three will probably sound bada$$ and it weighs less as well, good stuff, sucks that the tank is even smaller. Gone from a 5 gallon in my old FZ6 to a 4 gallon in the 8 then essentially a 3.5 in this 09, gotta give me at least four gallon for touring. Have to see/sit/ride one in person before I make a real decision on how I feel however.

decooney

IceBerg,
I look at it in a similar way. FZ8 does look mean. I get compliments on the bike all the time, every time I take it out people asking "what is that". Also wondering come 2015, there will be others coming along with similar bikes and improvements to the FZ 09, like a tad larger gas tank, interesting colors, slight engine tweaks again, etc. ;)