Yamaha FZ-09?

TheDogsWeed

Thoughts? Inline 3 for less than 8k with ride by wire tech?

Kind of sad to see the 8 go so quick, but the replacement is pretty sweet.

I'm torn on the looks though, not the instant love/lust I felt for the FZ8.

master paper clip

I like everything but the headlight and the seat and tail layout, I love the exhaust and frame, looks very nice and can't wait to hear a triple cross plane motor with unequal length intakes, gonna have a unique sound for sure

Last edited:

TheDogsWeed

And again with the non-adjustable suspension. Only turn off for me.

The Yamaha site says "adjustable preload and rebounding" front and rear? Is this not adjustable suspension?

The tail light looks tacked on, similar to how the Bolt's rear light looks too. The seat looks wafer thin, then again I'm looking at this bike as a light touring bike like I use my current 8 for. LoL.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
And again with the non-adjustable suspension. Only turn off for me.

The Yamaha site says "adjustable preload and rebounding" front and rear? Is this not adjustable suspension?

It is adjustable...I have seen multiple comments that they aren't adjustable. Not sure if people are just missing that or what.

The headlight is something that can be changed...and I am sure that it will help my business, because it is pretty fugly. Thanks Yamaha!

Last edited:

RoadKill

it doesn't look as sporty. maybe they will change that in 2015.
I like the way the FZ8 looks much more.

JSP

Administrator
I dig it. Adjustable suspension is on it..

But 3.7 gallon tank? Almost a gallon smaller than the 8.

Weighs less with more power.

Tank size is my only downfall with it. Of course it needs the exhaust, bar end mirrors, get rid of the big signals, and fender...

And about $1k less than the 8.

jkl76

ehhh this bike isnt catching my eye like the My FZ8. as people have stated the headlight does look weird. almost the FZ8 with non of the plastics and the fuel tank is small. I do like the gauge display though. Looks very futuristic. but other than that FZ8 for the win

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Hmmm, doesn't do anything for me. IMHO, the FZ-09 is to the FZ8, like the Suzuki Gladius was to the SV650.

Bajaedition

Hmmm, doesn't do anything for me. IMHO, the FZ-09 is to the FZ8, like the Suzuki Gladius was to the SV650.

could be
but with the magazines fawning all over speed triple and the twins
maybe Yamaha is on to something
personally I like 4 cylinders but I am just me not the majority.

would be nice to keep them all

would be nice for America to embrace naked bikes like europe has

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
could be
but with the magazines fawning all over speed triple and the twins
maybe Yamaha is on to something
personally I like 4 cylinders but I am just me not the majority.

would be nice to keep them all

would be nice for America to embrace naked bikes like europe has

I agree. Whether it's the FZ8 or the FZ-09, I hope they sell well here. I don't have anything against the FZ-09, but I prefer my FZ8 and won't be trading it in.

decooney

Not so hard to believe the FZ8 was discontinued and replaced with this FZ-09.

If I had to guess, it was the higher cost to produce the niche' FZ8, engine,etc.. and we might learn later that profit was likely marginal on the FZ8 as compared to building a cheaper scaled down 3 cylinder version of itself. If this is the case it would not be the first time something nice get discontinued and revised to keep build costs down and profits up. Sorta noticed the same thing on the old FZ6 compared to the newer version of it self.

I'll be curious to see what happens to the used market value of the FZ8 since it was produced in limited numbers and the perfect size streefighter if you like 800cc bikes. Extra thrilled that I bought my 2012 FZ8 now that I see what it will be replaced with. The more I ride my FZ8 the more I like it.

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
The 8 made me do a double...no no...a triple take when I first saw it on the show room floor. I then couldn't stop staring at pictures of it on Google as I day dreamed of one day owning such a beauty. I think I read every single review and watched every single youtube video out there on it.

One look at the Fz-09...and I don't even care to continue reading the article. I'm sure it's a great bike, just not my taste.

Random-
The only other bike that has made me salivate: CBR1000 RR Repsol Replica

One day...I will have you to look at...and maybe even sit on...but that's it. hahah

cxa0897

I'm with cambo. When i saw the 8 on the showroom it definitely caught my eye, and the more I looked at it the more I liked it. I probably read every review on the internet as well. This new one does none of that for me, I just don't think its attractive. Not something I'll be looking into much, if at all

thach1130

Saw the 8 during my search for a used Buell XB9S on craiglist. Went to search for streetfighter and it's what showed up. I then debated for awhile to either spend 4500 for a used Buell or add another 1500 for a used FZ8. Test drove a Buell which vibrate like crazy and therefore I went with the 8. Lol the Buell was parked on kickstand sideway on an incline and the vibration from the idle slowly worked the bike down the incline, it was frightening.

TheDogsWeed

Yamaha seems to be outputting bikes with big engines (read cc's) but in small, tidy packages. Look at the Star Bolt, 950cc engine in that small frame? 850cc in a package that is more compact than the FZ8.

Couldn't they just call it "FZ9" instead of "09"?

[start of rant]
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Yamaha is creating beautiful and powerful machines, but where are their efficient bikes? Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki is flooding the market with affordable, fuel efficient, fun, good looking machines and so far Yamaha has not contested.
[end of rant]

Bajaedition

Nice rant
I have always thought Yamaha was a quality bike. A bit ahead of S and K.
But behind Honda a bit. And not worried about spread in the lineup. And they do have a nice lineup including Star
So I need a bit to think on that rant