Why do most people have more than one bike?

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I could see having one for commuting, one for sport, one for touring, one for on-off road and one for light duty, i.e. a scooter for taking to camp grounds. :D

H

Hoover

I have owned 4 at a time before.
My restored '78 Kawasaki Z1R, Suzuki Bandit streetfighter, Suzuki TL1000S and Honda XR100.
Every one had a purpose and I rode them all.

C

calscrazy

not excessive, not expensive and why not have more than one.

SpunkyTheTuna

Horses for courses, my man. The same things that make one bike a hugely enjoyable corner carving tool may make it an utter misery if you're interested in riding it from Seattle to Daytona. Or taking the spousal unit to dinner.

Lee_533

I've got three. But only 2 of them are in running condition. I am a fan of old bikes so I have my 78 Honda CX500 in mint condition, my 82 450 nighthawk that I am in the process of rebuilding, and my FZ8 which is my daily rider. I think it's a good idea to have more than one just because if something goes wrong with your daily, then you have a back up

V

Vapordan

So why not get 1 bike that can *mostly* serve all these purposes? Just the insurance payments on 3 or 4 bikes got to be tough. Plus those that are financed. Figure in maintenance, gas, registration etc. It's not a one-time cost, it's ongoing. I also get that some people ooze money out the ears, I'm not addressing those people, I'm addressing Joe the plumber. I must be missing something here.

K-Gr.

Absolutely nothing wrong! I"d love to be one of those people.
I clearly see there is a place in my garage for a naked bike (everyday and spirited rides, I kinda have one already:)), a (power)cruiser (I still like the "I dont care" riding attitude), something to show off and pamper (like ducati sportclassic) and perhaps a touring enduro for one of those day when I wish to go as far as I can.

C

Camo

Well, I've got a family car that the wife and kids ride around in to school and work and I own my FZ8 for everyday riding which can and does include a short run to work and a quick blast on the twistys after work.
After tax time I'll be buying another car/ute (a truck for the americans) so I can pick up the kids from school and also in preparation for track days. (Couple of grand in total)
It's about an hour and a bit to the track from my place and it's a friggen long day if you ride...Also there is no insurance on the track so rather than keep risking my everyday bike, this time next year I plan to have a dedicated track bike. Likely be doing track days twice a month so an initial outlay of 6-7k for the bike with all the work done already, couple of hundred for my man to strip it down and rebuild it and 1500 bux worth of tires and I'm sorted for a while. Mates have tire warmers and I already have an esky and tool box ;)
Only cost will be petrol and track day entry (125-150). No rego costs, no insurance costs and the upkeep will be done in the garage at home :)

Believe me, If I could afford more bikes I'd have 4 or 5! One for every condition lol

Sschwar4

Simple fact, one bike doesn't do all!

The last group I had was an R1, FZ8, and WR450f (dual sport mod). If I could have combined them into one bike, it would have been perfect.

hypo

my wife would nag me endlessly if I had more than one, but OH how I'd love to have a stable full of them.

V

Vapordan

After reading this thread, I'm convinced I need a track bike! I want to start tracking!

D

DJK1505

Ummmmmm why not? If you can get two, or three, or four, why not! I love my FZ8, but I also like my chopped vstar, and the XR650 is a lot of fun. Now i am tinkering on a Kawasaki ZR7, its just fun to ride different bikes. And the 8 doesn't do it all, I could never take my 8 through the trees when I am cutting through because traffic sucks! Most people I know that have more than one, have a touring bike, a commuter, a track, and another either something like their first bike and its sentimental, or something they are building.

DJ

Scott H

I bought the FZ8 to go ride with the boys or when I just want something sporty to ride. When the wife goes with me or I feel like a leisurelyv ride I take the cruiser. She likes to ride and I can guarantee that would change if she had to get on the back of the FZ. Next bike will likely be a dual sport to trail ride up north. I've had race cars and boats and bikes are a relatively cheap toy.

TeleRob

I'd like another bike for backup when one/other is down. Need a new rear tire on the FZ8, so can't ride and its gorgeous out today. the bike shops are closed Sun/Mon.