Wheelie

Bigman32hockey

Just curious if anyone out there has any pointers on how to wheelie their FZ8. I kno the bike has the power to do it, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the front wheel off the ground. I simply cannot get it to power wheelie at all, and even when I clutch it, I am barely getting the front an inch off the ground. For those of you out there who can pop this thing up easily, can you tell me exactly how you are doing it? Thanks.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
When you figure it out I wanna see
I have no desire In doing stunts, But sure like watching people do them!

Mrpacis

I made a short video of a tiny wheelie on YouTube lol. But I recently made another with the gopro mounted on the engine guard on the left side. Im still at work so I'll be uploading it later on YouTube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnGlb8365bA&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Mini wheelie take off on fz8 - YouTube[/ame]

lyric911

Know what I hate about videos like this? Seeing that people live where it's not so damn flat. I hate Indiana.

V

Vapordan

I made a short video of a tiny wheelie on YouTube lol. But I recently made another with the gopro mounted on the engine guard on the left side. Im still at work so I'll be uploading it later on YouTube.

Mini wheelie take off on fz8 - YouTube

When learning, avoid first gear wheelies, it's likely to get away from you cus there's too much power in first. Put her in second and give it a lot more gas. It will come up slower and more manageable but you can still loft it pretty high to ride it out. I can't wheelie though so take it with a grain of salt. I wrecked many bikes standing them straight up and then losing control tehehe, like somebody else said. My time has passed. I'm at the age where I just admire folks like you.

Nice roads though. Toronto is a square grid, shitty real shitty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrpacis

When learning, avoid first gear wheelies, it's likely to get away from you cus there's too much power in first. Put her in second and give it a lot more gas. It will come up slower and more manageable but you can still loft it pretty high to ride it out. I can't wheelie though so take it with a grain of salt. I wrecked many bikes standing them straight up and then losing control tehehe, like somebody else said. My time has passed. I'm at the age where I just admire folks like you.

Nice roads though. Toronto is a square grid, shitty real shitty.

Ill be honest I've tried second gear wheelies. I can barely get the front tire off the ground. Im more comfortable with first gear wheelies maybe cos I do it all the time lOl. But I have yet to practice doing second gear wheelies.

Mrpacis

Know what I hate about videos like this? Seeing that people live where it's not so damn flat. I hate Indiana.

Lol I live in Cali. This particular place is called Azusa canyons. I have a video ride up the canyons too but I'll hve to upload it later. I actually scraped my front peg I guess I leaned too much but I think I'll have to get an adjustable rear sets because the one on our fz8 are too low

Wolf_Hook

Lol I live in Cali. This particular place is called Azusa canyons. I have a video ride up the canyons too but I'll hve to upload it later. I actually scraped my front peg I guess I leaned too much but I think I'll have to get an adjustable rear sets because the one on our fz8 are too low

I thought it looked familiar, I was there on Sunday. I'm in Hesperia if you ever want a riding buddy. I'm always on Glendora ridge road, HWY2, or up in Bear.

Edit: Just got back from lunch and doing some wheelies in the alleyway behind work, first gear wheelies are super unpredictable unless you have really good throttle control and and smoothly apply it to balance and not have to bump it up and down to keep the wheel in the air. Second gear wheelies are where its at, granted you have to be around 45mph then clutch it up, seems scary since your moving faster but its a lot more stable. I think I'll stick to the DRZ400sm for wheelie fun :p

Last edited:

kbrink

How does rear suspension setup, effect how easy or not we can wheelie our bikes? Is a stiffer suspension setup better for wheelies or softer?

D

DJK1505

get a thousand dollar bike with a huge rear sprocket and have fun.

Run your 8 up to about 7 grand, let off the throttle and then hammer the throttle, comes up like no other.

oh and -1 +2 sprocket set up helps tremendously. When you lay it down practicing on your new bike, I dont think too many people on here will have too much sympathy. LOL

Crest a hill while at about 6K, once at the peak of the hill give it a bit more throttle and the front end will stay up while you are coming down the hill.

DJ

Mrpacis

I thought it looked familiar, I was there on Sunday. I'm in Hesperia if you ever want a riding buddy. I'm always on Glendora ridge road, HWY2, or up in Bear.

Edit: Just got back from lunch and doing some wheelies in the alleyway behind work, first gear wheelies are super unpredictable unless you have really good throttle control and and smoothly apply it to balance and not have to bump it up and down to keep the wheel in the air. Second gear wheelies are where its at, granted you have to be around 45mph then clutch it up, seems scary since your moving faster but its a lot more stable. I think I'll stick to the DRZ400sm for wheelie fun :p

I go up there every Sunday just to practice cornering and such. Yeah eventually I'll practice second gear wheelies. I tried it a few times. it seems so hard to lift the front tire.

V

Vapordan

I go up there every Sunday just to practice cornering and such. Yeah eventually I'll practice second gear wheelies. I tried it a few times. it seems so hard to lift the front tire.

You're just scared to give her gas. Go ahead, twist the throttle really hard. The harder you twist the higher it comes off the ground. In second, it's unlikely to stand straight up. i think...

Mrpacis

You're just scared to give her gas. Go ahead, twist the throttle really hard. The harder you twist the higher it comes off the ground. In second, it's unlikely to stand straight up. i think...

Fine I'll try that out tomorrow lol

Aussie

How to get it up

I know it's an old post, and you've probably worked it out for yourself, but if you haven't, here's how I wheelie on my fz8, no sprocket mods or anything. Believe me when I say this bike loves to stand on one wheel, you just got to find where the sweet spot is, here's a hint, it's in first gear, around 7000rpm, just where it opens up and starts to wail.
Find suitable area, like an industrial allotment. Long straight wide road.
From standing start take off normally in first and without snapping the throttle open increase throttle up through rev range:- this is just to get a feel for the power increase through the rev range. So, ride the bike up through first and then back off slowly when you get near the peak red line.
Do this numerous times to get a feel for the torque curve, it is very important you get this feeling right. Hint:- most important Is learning how to smooth out the power to reduce unpredictability, in other words, don't be snapping the throttle on or off like a madman or squeezing the brakes haphazardly.
Use the clutch to iron out power surging and Learn to match the revs in any gear with your road speed.
Ok- so now you comfortably rip through first and can feel the power surge at about 6500 rpm and rapid increase from there to the redline, it's like a whoosh feeling. So the trick here is to build up to 7000rpm (by now you shouldn't be looking at the tacho, you should just be feeling the surge), and when the bike hits this sweet spot, snap the throttle off quick as you can (imagine this in slow motion) what happens is as the bike surges the back shock compresses a bit and the front shock extends, and then when you snap the throttle off the front springs dive rapidly and naturally want to bounce or push back up, it's all about TIMING, as the front springs push up, you open the throttle back to where it was when you chopped it off quickly, and you should have lift off. Keep in mind when you come up, it comes up quick, and If you panic and back the throttle off while you are lifting you will come down hard. When the bike comes up, after a while you will learn to hold the throttle steady and it will lift predictably, and ride the wheelie out to redline where it will slowly come down to two wheels, or change gears and stay up. So to refresh, ride bike up to 6500-7000 where it surges, then chop off throttle and concentrate more on getting the nose to dive hard, (that's the secret, don't be thinking about pulling it back or up with strength)and chop the throttle back on in time with the rebound and you'll be leaning forward and riding on one wheel. You'll get it with practice. Get all that right one step at a time and you'll be popping wheelies from every set of lights or coming out of every corner. Good luck. If you want to know a bit more or want me to get a bit more in depth just hit me up, there's nothing cooler than seeing a naked bike on one wheel

mrthompson

I find it easier and more control able to be doing between 25-30 and dump the clutch. It you dump it hard with high rpms it will come up quick. I usual rev to 5-6k to dump it then roll the throttle forward to control height, then ride it out.

Ben1105

honestly wheelies are incredibly easy on the 8, like its been said before get it up to about 7k rpms let off the throttle a bit then hit it, I've done it as low as around 5-6k rpms, and I got decent wheelies out of that, but as soon as I had the balls to do it at 7-8k I was pretty much perpendicular with the road.

Guillaume

:eek: How to get it up

I know it's an old post, and you've probably worked it out for yourself, but if you haven't, here's how I wheelie on my fz8, no sprocket mods or anything. Believe me when I say this bike loves to stand on one wheel, you just got to find where the sweet spot is, here's a hint, it's in first gear, around 7000rpm, just where it opens up and starts to wail.
Find suitable area, like an industrial allotment. Long straight wide road.
From standing start take off normally in first and without snapping the throttle open increase throttle up through rev range:- this is just to get a feel for the power increase through the rev range. So, ride the bike up through first and then back off slowly when you get near the peak red line.
Do this numerous times to get a feel for the torque curve, it is very important you get this feeling right. Hint:- most important Is learning how to smooth out the power to reduce unpredictability, in other words, don't be snapping the throttle on or off like a madman or squeezing the brakes haphazardly.
Use the clutch to iron out power surging and Learn to match the revs in any gear with your road speed.
Ok- so now you comfortably rip through first and can feel the power surge at about 6500 rpm and rapid increase from there to the redline, it's like a whoosh feeling. So the trick here is to build up to 7000rpm (by now you shouldn't be looking at the tacho, you should just be feeling the surge), and when the bike hits this sweet spot, snap the throttle off quick as you can (imagine this in slow motion) what happens is as the bike surges the back shock compresses a bit and the front shock extends, and then when you snap the throttle off the front springs dive rapidly and naturally want to bounce or push back up, it's all about TIMING, as the front springs push up, you open the throttle back to where it was when you chopped it off quickly, and you should have lift off. Keep in mind when you come up, it comes up quick, and If you panic and back the throttle off while you are lifting you will come down hard. When the bike comes up, after a while you will learn to hold the throttle steady and it will lift predictably, and ride the wheelie out to redline where it will slowly come down to two wheels, or change gears and stay up. So to refresh, ride bike up to 6500-7000 where it surges, then chop off throttle and concentrate more on getting the nose to dive hard, (that's the secret, don't be thinking about pulling it back or up with strength)and chop the throttle back on in time with the rebound and you'll be leaning forward and riding on one wheel. You'll get it with practice. Get all that right one step at a time and you'll be popping wheelies from every set of lights or coming out of every corner. Good luck. If you want to know a bit more or want me to get a bit more in depth just hit me up, there's nothing cooler than seeing a naked bike on one wheel

:eek: How to get it up, huh? That's a lot of work... This here seems much easier.