Whats wrong with my bike? :(

ChuckPeazy

I recently bought my (new to me) FZ8. It's a 2011, and I loved it from the first ride. However, something in the back of my mind kept haunting me.

The previous owner texted me the day after I bought it with this message, "Just want to make sure that everything ok with bike, any issues?"

Now it's a new bike to me so I'm not sure if these are issues or not, but his message made me worry even more about them.

1. Feels like it runs fine after it warms up, but it smells like it runs really rich.
2. It also stalls sometimes on cold start, takes multiple times to start it.
3. I can't rev the bike after starting it without it acting like it's going to stall.
4. Gas gauge doesn't read correctly. It blinks empty when I have 1-1.5 gallons left.

Overall I'm happy with the bike, but it makes me sad that these things are happening to such a new bike.

I already upgraded to the Two Brothers exhaust, and fender eliminator, and I would love to make it perfectly reliable for me. Any thoughts on what the issue is?

I have attached a link to a video I made to show the problem.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8hBdkGtOjk]2011 Yamaha FZ8 Cold Start Issues - YouTube[/ame]

On a side note, I attached two pictures of a button on the left hand controls. is this how this "button" is supposed to look? Is it supposed to be pushed in? Also what is it?

Marthy

I recently bought my (new to me) FZ8. It's a 2011, and I loved it from the first ride. However, something in the back of my mind kept haunting me.

The previous owner texted me the day after I bought it with this message, "Just want to make sure that everything ok with bike, any issues?"

Now it's a new bike to me so I'm not sure if these are issues or not, but his message made me worry even more about them.

1. Feels like it runs fine after it warms up, but it smells like it runs really rich.
2. It also stalls sometimes on cold start, takes multiple times to start it.
3. I can't rev the bike after starting it without it acting like it's going to stall.
4. Gas gauge doesn't read correctly. It blinks empty when I have 1-1.5 gallons left.

Overall I'm happy with the bike, but it makes me sad that these things are happening to such a new bike.

I already upgraded to the Two Brothers exhaust, and fender eliminator, and I would love to make it perfectly reliable for me. Any thoughts on what the issue is?

I have attached a link to a video I made to show the problem.
2011 Yamaha FZ8 Cold Start Issues - YouTube

On a side note, I attached two pictures of a button on the left hand controls. is this how this "button" is supposed to look? Is it supposed to be pushed in? Also what is it?

Oh no! You broke the mystery button!!! LOL It should not be that hard to start... but ya, let it warm up... it get better.

Last edited:

socal

does it have a power commander or the like, hidden somewhere? if so he could have mapped it odd. also go around check for incorrectly spliced wires, broken connector clips, loose grounds on the frame side, thing of that sort. for reference mine fires after half a crank.

ChuckPeazy

does it have a power commander or the like, hidden somewhere? if so he could have mapped it odd. also go around check for incorrectly spliced wires, broken connector clips, loose grounds on the frame side, thing of that sort. for reference mine fires after half a crank.

I bought it completely stock from previous owner. The only things I added was the Two Brothers Exhaust and the fender eliminator with integrated tail light blinkers.

Having said that, it did this before I added all that stuff so I know that isn't the issue. I will check for the broken connectors and loose grounds though.

I'm wondering if it is a fuel issue, or if it is something else? I read somewhere that it could possibly be the battery not being charged fully? Not sure if that makes sense to me however.

DanS

Commuter
You need to keep the starter engaged longer... until it actually lights off. Mine is the same way if I let off of the start switch too soon. And after a failed first attempt it takes longer to start. And :welcome: to the forum

Last edited:

charris247

What occurred in that video is definitely not normal. Also, without physically doing it myself I cant tell whether you are holding the starter button long enough but mine is pretty instantaneous.

Did you have it checked out by a motorcycle mechanic before buying it? If not, I would take it in and have them do a once over.

As for the button, as previously said, it does nothing on the 2011 US model (believe it acts as the hazard button on the 2012's and Euro models), but does appear to have been pushed in.

The scary thing about buying used is that you really have no clue as to how the bike was treated before you got it.

Did the seller give you a reason why he was selling? Also, would you mind telling us how much you paid.

Thanks

Larry P

Yeah just hold the starter button in longer, it's not like a car push to start button. Revving it right away after it starts isn't really a good way to test it until it warms up for at least a few seconds first. I'll also agree the gas gauge is always overzealous on how much fuel you have left. I can pull out 45-50 miles on the reserve. Welcome to the streetfighter club!

RoadKill

I don't believe the spark plugs were ever changed. And I'm using premium gas. The bike has 5000 miles on it.

stop using "premium" gas. the FZ8's engine is built to run on 87 octane(USA)
higher octane takes more compression to ignite properly than the FZ8 has.

Larry P

Yeah, most people have the misconception that a higher grade is better in quality when it's not. I was thinking it would want a mid grade in but the owners manual was very clear about 87 grade.

ChuckPeazy

What occurred in that video is definitely not normal. Also, without physically doing it myself I cant tell whether you are holding the starter button long enough but mine is pretty instantaneous.

Did you have it checked out by a motorcycle mechanic before buying it? If not, I would take it in and have them do a once over.

As for the button, as previously said, it does nothing on the 2011 US model (believe it acts as the hazard button on the 2012's and Euro models), but does appear to have been pushed in.

The scary thing about buying used is that you really have no clue as to how the bike was treated before you got it.

Did the seller give you a reason why he was selling? Also, would you mind telling us how much you paid.

Thanks

The seller said he was moving and didn't have a garage to store it at the new place. I paid $5,500 for it with 4,550 miles on it.

I took it to out local motorcycle shop and the guy said, "I would feel guilty taking your money right now. These FZ8's are flawless. Ride it a couple weeks and then come back to me of the problem persists."

Well it's been a couple weeks and its gotten worse. Looks like ill be taking it back.

stop using "premium" gas. the FZ8's engine is built to run on 87 octane(USA)
higher octane takes more compression to ignite properly than the FZ8 has.

Could this be my problem? Putting the "good" stuff in it?

tjfisher

This is way out there but coming from a old carb guy its acting like the carb pack are no were close to sync . I know we need to do it on the these thottle bodies but not sure if they act like old carbs that way . just my :2cents: