What to do now?

ktmrider

Good day everyone!
I am a proud new owner of a 2012 and from what I have seen in the last 2 days I have found the right location to ask questions. This past weekend we had warmer temps and I was able to get 130 miles put on the new scoot. It feels like there is extra power that is locked up in the bike that I'm not using (I think because I'm under 6 grand in RPM)?
What types of mods other than a softer seat would be advised to unleash some of the power? Hopefully these will not break the bank and I'm also hoping in doing some of them myself.
Thank you very much and I'm looking forward to some great advice for the new ride.

C

cracker0309

Welcome & Congrats on ur New ride.

Personally I would do the air box mod (free) along with k&n filter($50)
Get rid of that throttle play either with pvc throttle mod ($6) or just get a 2010 R6 throttle tube. What I did cost me $25..

Exhaust ($120-600)
POWER Commander ($300)
Sprocket kit will give you insane acceleration but you'll lose a little top speed.

And if you want real power and speed than you have to get the FZ8 Forum Stickers...They'll knock your pants off

Sent from my Evo LTE

Last edited:

Jacek3743

Welcome & Congrats on ur New ride.

Personally I would do the air box mod (free) along with k&n filter($50)
Get rid of that throttle play either with pvc throttle mod ($6) or just get a 2010 R6 throttle tube. What I did cost me $25..

Exhaust ($120-600)
POWER Commander ($300)
Sprocket kit will give you insane acceleration but you'll lose a little top speed.

And if you want real power and speed than you have to get the FZ8 Forum Stickers...They'll knock your pants off

Sent from my Evo LTE

Decals should give you about +5hp and about +8lbs/ft

Reactions: JSP

JSP

Administrator
Absolutely if you are keeping it under 6k. Wait until you are able to open her up to the real power and you will change your mind. Then start modding ;).

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
:welcome: And like Jay says, wait till you can crack on her. Cracker has a good list all I'll add though is the factory muffler mod.

Reactions: JSP

krillz

Like the two above me stated. When your in 3rd in get her up to 9-10k rpms you'll see a mean machine. It will make you say HOLY CRAP!!!

ktmrider

This is very good news to hear for sure!!! It is very nice to hear that with small mods this bike will open up its throat a bit from where it is now, along with the additional rpm's. I'm coming off from a 1800 VTX and so far I'm totally impressed at how this bike feels when runniing down the road. How long before I call it good for break in and get the R's up there?
Thank you all very much!!!! for all the information that was given, I'm looking forward to the warmer temps to get some miles on her.

C

cracker0309

You gave a 600 break in period. At 600 mile take it back to dealer and have them change the oil and adjust whatever needs to be adjusted.

After that you can have some fun.

1st 600 miles for me was brutal and seemed like it took forever.

Sent from my Evo LTE

melbfz8

dont take it too easy. your piston rings will become lazy and not bed in against the cylinder walls properly. best to be assertive with the throttle. but dont bounce it off the limiter. the run in oil cant take that sort of abuse. you want to give it enough gas to pressurise the rings against the cylinder walls. and thats where it "beds in" for your compression. if not. and you take it too easy. so you baby the throttle your compression levels will be down.

Tiffy

there are free mods and a couple cheap mods to help you out also

Thanks for the advice - I now have a K&N Filtre, a D&G tail tidy, a Devil Red Spot exhaust and I'm about to change the Battle axe's for Michelin P3's. Now I'm hungry....come on guys give me more :)

ktmrider

Once again I know I'm in the right place for info with the new ride. Thanks gents!!!
It looks like this spring will bring a few mods my way. The worst part is I have to wait for the snow to melt off fromthe roads first.