What preload setting do you use on your stock shock?

FZ8canuk

What shocks are peeps using to upgrade the stock shock? What kind of coin am I looking at?

I just ordered a Nitron shock to replace the stock, awesome shock for about $550.00 custom built to your weight. I know its a bit expensive but still cheaper than an Ohlins and very, very well built. its a company in the UK but they now have a USA distributer that ships free in the us they have been a nitrion supplier for only a few months we were order #10.
They are also building a factory in the us so you will see a lot more of them I'm sure.
They are worth a look.

rug_burn

200 lbs, I got mine on 6, and it sticks pretty well around town, but feels like it floats a little once you get it up around or above 100mph

pigdog

ramped up from 4 to 5 & noted better overall front to rear handling. ill try 6 tomorrow. when i get it right for my 160lb weight ill post.

pigdog

i set the preload back to 5th ramp & added 3 clicks of rebound. on the forks i added 4 clicks of rebound & the preload i left alone as well as the compression screw. it sticks to the road better. not perfect but noticeably better.

F3NIX

i set the preload back to 5th ramp & added 3 clicks of rebound. on the forks i added 4 clicks of rebound & the preload i left alone as well as the compression screw. it sticks to the road better. not perfect but noticeably better.

I have never played with the suspension. What does it require to adjust the suspension?

Sent from my phone

ultimate_walrus

I've never messed with the front suspension, but the rear is pretty simple. Check your owner's manual. There is a wierd shaped hook looking tool in your kit that you use to adjust the preload. As for the rebound damping, there's a screw accessed under the bike on the left side. I believe it's just forward of the pegs, but I don't have my bike nearby to check. Standard size screwdriver will do it, though the angle is weird as the adjustment screw is just about level with your chain. You can easily make out the audible clicks as you turn the screw one way or the other. Left to reduce damping, right to increase. Same for the preload, clockwise to increase, counter to decrease (make the shocks... Fluffier)

ultimate_walrus

I'm 220 and have always gone with the stock preload while riding alone. It's always felt fine, but maybe I'll do a bit of experimenting when I start riding again in the spring (stuck out of the country till December... Not a great month to be riding in the midwest :-()

pigdog

look folks,,,..,its like a new cell phone. no matter how many mistakes you make, you're not gonna break it. if your starting with stock settings (owners manual) go for a ride with a screwdriver & that little hooky thing in your tool kit (spanner wrench) & play. oh ya,a 17mm open end box wrench for fork preload

correction,front preload wrench is 14mm

Last edited:

cmbcp

settings

I weigh 200-ish. Dropped setting 5 to 4; rubbish. Put it up to 6; better. Put it up to 7; incredible difference with roadholding, and power to the road. I'm staying with 7.

860Rider

Hey guys. Does anyone have any updated experiences? How things felt before and after their adjustments? Im a bigger guy 6'2" 250 and Im reading about the preload fore, and aft changes. Just curious. Thanks in advance!

-Tony

blues hurler

Just to clarify, preload acts on the spring, not the shock. I weigh 175 and have rear preload at 7, but that may still be too soft. I also added 2 clicks of rebound to the front suspension to balance out the rebound better. I'm still working on refining the setup when weather permits.

mckshred

I have the 11 model that got ripped off when it came to suspension adjustment :mad:.
- have since replaced the stock rear spring with a Race Tech (170 lbs). Front forks have Race Tech Springs and Gold Fork Damping Valves. I run rear shock pre-load at 8 clicks (one click from firmest). Back end will lift a little under pretty strong braking, but I haven't had any issues on street or track. I may drop a click and see if it makes a difference. I wish I had the Nitron shock, but too much other sh*t getting in the way of bike spendage!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I have the 11 model that got ripped off when it came to suspension adjustment :mad:.
- have since replaced the stock rear spring with a Race Tech (170 lbs). Front forks have Race Tech Springs and Gold Fork Damping Valves. I run rear shock pre-load at 8 clicks (one click from firmest). Back end will lift a little under pretty strong braking, but I haven't had any issues on street or track. I may drop a click and see if it makes a difference. I wish I had the Nitron shock, but too much other sh*t getting in the way of bike spendage!

I have 2013 forks you can buy :D

Woody146

Banned

12's too..how much did all the race tech run you? Gonna be one of my next mods.

rug_burn

About the general stock suspension on my 2011 FZ*: I gotta say I feel it's pretty good for the street or road. T he roads I ride on have dips, occasional potholes, manhole covers, etc. They're pretty far from flat sometimes. I don't think I'd want the suspension any stiffer. After years of off-road riding as well as road, I appreciate the benefits of having some useful suspension travel.

FZ8canuk

I got my Nitron just before the end of the riding season only had it out twice before putting it to bed for the winter but holy crap what a difference in the handling can't wait for summer so I can really put it to the test.
I am also talking with the guys from Traxsion for the front end, they don't have a set up for the FZ8 but they are sure the FZ1 set up will work if the shock tube are the same which I think they are. they can build the adjustment caps in their shop will check into it more in the summer.