What oil do u recomend

master paper clip

Im due for an oil change I'm at about 2500, what would u all recomend, like weight. Regular, semi synthetic or full synthetic and also what brand.
I only ask because this is my first bike and just checking base on what is best for my baby

lyric911

Im due for an oil change I'm at about 2500, what would u all recomend, like weight. Regular, semi synthetic or full synthetic and also what brand.
I only ask because this is my first bike and just checking base on what is best for my baby

Shell Rotella T6.

H

Hoover

I changed my oil at 500, 1000 and 2000 with Repsol non synth.
Switched to Repsol full synthetic at 3000. I now have 4500 miles on and my oil is as clear and clean as the day I put it in.
I find that full synth makes the bike shift smoother and it runs quite a bit cooler also.
I will not change it now untill 8000. 5000 miles between changes on full synthetic is perfectly acceptable. So spend a bit more during break in and you will be rewarded.
Brand to brand there is almost nothing in it. Pretty much all major oil brands are as good as each other.

IceBerge12

I've always used Amsoil full synthetic since I started riding, works well and like stated earlier pretty much all full synthetics are gonna be about the same, just get the right weight.

D

Deleted member 438

I just switched back to Mobil1 4T after using Rotella T6 and I have noticed that it shifts smoother with the Mobil1. I'm going to see how the oil analysis on the rotella looks compared to the Mobil that I did earlier.

RoadKill

I havent done an oil change on my new 2012 yet. the manual calls for 3.2 quarts when you change your filter. so i guess i need to buy 4 quarts?

JRider

I just switched back to Mobil1 4T after using Rotella T6 and I have noticed that it shifts smoother with the Mobil1. I'm going to see how the oil analysis on the rotella looks compared to the Mobil that I did earlier.

Switched back to T6 after using Mobil, first thing I notice is smoother shifting. Seems that happens after every oil change. Also seems my bike runs warmer with T6, oil analysis def. the way figure this out.

H

Hoover

I havent done an oil change on my new 2012 yet. the manual calls for 3.2 quarts when you change your filter. so i guess i need to buy 4 quarts?

Actually, 3 will be spot on.
Not sure why the manual staes that. If you put 3.2 in it will be slightly over full.

rail

Actually, 3 will be spot on.
Not sure why the manual staes that. If you put 3.2 in it will be slightly over full.

This man speaks the truth. I feel like I've been draining oil out of the filter every day since my oil change this past weekend, where does it keep finding oil?!? lol

D

DJK1505

Like Ams Oil the best. Bike seemed to idle smoother and shift a bit better.

If I am in a bind I will run to Wal-Mart and get the Rotel T6, or if Advanced Auto is open I get Mobil 1. But usually I keep a case of Ams on the shelf.

DJ

Ignacio-Arg

Motul

More info here Welcome to Motul[range]=21

AlCab

Slo this is my first motorcycle in quite a while and am coming up on my first oil change. I noticed in this thread that two synthetic oils are being recommended - the Mobil 1 4T and the Shell Rotella T6. I further noticed that the Mobil 1 4T is designed for motorcycle applications and the Shell is not.

So is it essential to use motorcycle specific oil since it is shared by the transmission or is that just a marketing gimmick?

I have used Mobil 1 in my cars and Shell Rotella in my boat so I am comfortable with either brand. I guess I am leaning towards the Mobil 1 4T since it is designed for motorcycle use.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 438

Slo this is my first motorcycle in quite a while and am coming up on my first oil change. I noticed in this thread that two synthetic oils are being recommended - the Mobil 1 4T and the Shell Rotella T6. I further noticed that the Mobil 1 4T is designed for motorcycle applications and the Shell is not.

So is it essential to use motorcycle specific oil since it is shared by the transmission or is that just a marketing gimmick?

I have used Mobil 1 in my cars and Shell Rotella in my boat so I am comfortable with either brand. I guess I am leaning towards the Mobil 1 4T since it is designed for motorcycle use.

Thoughts?

Both will work. I have run both and I prefer mobil1 4t.

W

WARPTH

Thoughts?

you can use any oil in it with the wet clutch as long as it doesnt have friction modifiers.
but, anything with jsa ma stamp on it is whats recommended for motorcycles with a wet clutch.

i use yamalube, i buy the yamaha road oil change kit which comes with the 10 40 yamalube, yamaha filter, crush washer and a instruction leaflet with step by step instructions on how to perform the change...
so i guess i would recommend the yamalube.

Last edited by a moderator:

xtasysids75

rotella t 15w40

i'm still in the break-in (less than 600 miles) and would like to stick with a oil that is not synthetic. which rotella have you used during break-in? and how did it work out for you? i would like to use rotella t 15w40 for the break-in.