What gear around town

RS1

I know this subject has probably been beaten to death and then some on other forums.. but just wanted to see some more opinions for my specific situation.

Right now I'm all gear every time... For me that is:
Full Face Snell M2010 Helmet (RS1, lol)
Joe Rocket Super Ego Jacket (shoulder, elbow, forearm, back armor.. not sure if any is CE or not, but it feels pretty good)
Hood ND4 Jeans (1 piece kevlar all the way past knees, and CE Knee and Hip armor)
Bilt I think (cheaper) Leather riding gloves with gauntlet and stiff knuckles (I will upgrade these soon)
Speed and Strength Hard Knock life boots (Ankle cover only)

I know for ripping it up I probably should consider some higher boots, and I will.. Also looking into a full mesh or textile suit for summer rips and long distance rides. Perhaps a Tour Master, or Olympia...

My question is this.. I want to use the bike for some errands, and be somewhat practical about it. We're talking under 25mph, within 2 to 4 miles tops, urbanish suburban setting.
To me in this situation, the most important things are:
-The helmet is a no brainer every single time
-Boots since the bike is 450+ lbs (protect from crushing feet), plus the traction they give..
-Gloves since they can just be thrown inside the helmet when you get to where you are going..
-Regular jeans at the very least (because boots and shorts probably look stupid), and 1 fraction of a second of abrasion protection is better than 0.

Other than those things, is a jacket and leg/hip armor riding pants really necessary? I see people riding mountain or road bikes at these speeds with shorts, tennis shoes or biking shoes whatever, and a cheap pedal bike helmet.. I myself ride road or mountain bikes with just a helmet on and street clothes, probably hit almost 30 mph on some hills..

What do you guys think? This isn't squid worthy is it?

You can just say use the car for those runs, but that's what I'm trying to avoid.. I view motor-bikes as utilitarian AND leisure.. Not common view in America, where people use 9 passenger SUVs for 2 kids and a bag of chips (puke).

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
I know this subject has probably been beaten to death and then some on other forums.. but just wanted to see some more opinions for my specific situation.

Right now I'm all gear every time... For me that is:
Full Face Snell M2010 Helmet (RS1, lol)
Joe Rocket Super Ego Jacket (shoulder, elbow, forearm, back armor.. not sure if any is CE or not, but it feels pretty good)
Hood ND4 Jeans (1 piece kevlar all the way past knees, and CE Knee and Hip armor)
Bilt I think (cheaper) Leather riding gloves with gauntlet and stiff knuckles (I will upgrade these soon)
Speed and Strength Hard Knock life boots (Ankle cover only)

I know for ripping it up I probably should consider some higher boots, and I will.. Also looking into a full mesh or textile suit for summer rips and long distance rides. Perhaps a Tour Master, or Olympia...

My question is this.. I want to use the bike for some errands, and be somewhat practical about it. We're talking under 25mph, within 2 to 4 miles tops, urbanish suburban setting.
To me in this situation, the most important things are:
-The helmet is a no brainer every single time
-Boots since the bike is 450+ lbs (protect from crushing feet), plus the traction they give..
-Gloves since they can just be thrown inside the helmet when you get to where you are going..
-Regular jeans at the very least (because boots and shorts probably look stupid), and 1 fraction of a second of abrasion protection is better than 0.

Other than those things, is a jacket and leg/hip armor riding pants really necessary? I see people riding mountain or road bikes at these speeds with shorts, tennis shoes or biking shoes whatever, and a cheap pedal bike helmet.. I myself ride road or mountain bikes with just a helmet on and street clothes, probably hit almost 30 mph on some hills..

What do you guys think? This isn't squid worthy is it?

You can just say use the car for those runs, but that's what I'm trying to avoid.. I view motor-bikes as utilitarian AND leisure.. Not common view in America, where people use 9 passenger SUVs for 2 kids and a bag of chips (puke).

What are going to be the first things to hit the solid hard pavement/car? Usually your knee/forearm/elbow.

I think you need armor more at slower in town speeds. A knee to the pavement is a nasty thing.

Just a thought. It is all in how much risk you want to take. Most accidents happen close to hope in town. Look at most wrecks... Those not in proper gear usually have really jacked up knee and arm injuries.

lyric911

I was going to answer 2nd or 3rd, usually. :D

As for a real answer - the pavement isn't any softer if you fall at 5 mph or 105 mph. You just have less of a chance of major road rash in town. But hitting a car or the ground still hurts. I separated my shoulder in a 7 mph crash with shoulder pads. I'm pretty sure I'd not have the use of my left arm still had I not had my jacket on that day.

cambo

Avid Rider
I totally get where you're coming from RS1...I've stood over my bike contemplating the same thing: bah...I'm just going to the gym 2 miles away. What could POSSIBLY go wrong lol. And especially now, with the temperature really starting to crank up, the temptation to just ride in minimal gear for those short trips is even greater.

But then, I imagine worse case scenarios. There I am, on the pavement, bike has already crushed my foot, shin bone is sticking out (think Ware from Louisville), right shoulder is popped out of it's socket, and the left arm is pinned underneath a semi (not sure what a semi is doing in my neighborhood...), but I can't feel pain because I'm paralyzed from the neck down. My boss is there, for whatever reason, and fires me on the spot because I'm now useless, my wife tells me she's going to divorce me, and my 2 year old son, even though he can't form sentences, has disowned me as a father and rubs his poopy diaper in my face.

Anyway! my point is...had I worn all my gear...shit...I don't even know how that would've helped me in my horrid scenario...

G'damnit, what I was trying to get to, was that I don't want to be in a situation where I wish I would've taken that two seconds to throw on that extra gear, because you just never know.

thach1130

Get a bicycle, add an electric brushless hub motor on it, 100V controller and you'll have a great commuter bike. 60lb, 45mph. No license, no insurance, no registration. As far as the damage that can do, i have hurt myself more on my bike than on a motorcycle. The pictures below occurs around 25mph with one wearing a thin hoodie and other wearing a short sleeve shirt.

DanS

Commuter
I totally get where you're coming from RS1...I've stood over my bike contemplating the same thing: bah...I'm just going to the gym 2 miles away. What could POSSIBLY go wrong lol. And especially now, with the temperature really starting to crank up, the temptation to just ride in minimal gear for those short trips is even greater.

But then, I imagine worse case scenarios. There I am, on the pavement, bike has already crushed my foot, shin bone is sticking out (think Ware from Louisville), right shoulder is popped out of it's socket, and the left arm is pinned underneath a semi (not sure what a semi is doing in my neighborhood...), but I can't feel pain because I'm paralyzed from the neck down. My boss is there, for whatever reason, and fires me on the spot because I'm now useless, my wife tells me she's going to divorce me, and my 2 year old son, even though he can't form sentences, has disowned me as a father and rubs his poopy diaper in my face.

Anyway! my point is...had I worn all my gear...shit...I don't even know how that would've helped me in my horrid scenario...

G'damnit, what I was trying to get to, was that I don't want to be in a situation where I wish I would've taken that two seconds to throw on that extra gear, because you just never know.
You crack me up Cambo :D

cambo

Avid Rider
DanS- lolol...what starts as a simple response often ends up getting way too carried away lol.

Get a bicycle, add an electric brushless hub motor on it, 100V controller and you'll have a great commuter bike. 60lb, 45mph. No license, no insurance, no registration. As far as the damage that can do, i have hurt myself more on my bike than on a motorcycle. The pictures below occurs around 25mph with one wearing a thin hoodie and other wearing a short sleeve shirt.

G'damn Thach! An electric bike though that's baller status. Pedaling's for the birds!

Also, picture 1: "SHORRRYUUUKEN!"

MikeC

Weekend Rider
It sounds like the only place where people really have a resistance and skimp on the armor is around their legs since the head, hands and body are usually covered and accounted for. At least, that's my problem.

I don't mind wearing my clothes under my jacket, but ask me to wear overpants and I'm like whaaaaa, you're crazy. And i feel like changing into pants is the most troublesome thing. It kind of is.

With that said, for the ultimate in utilitarian protection, perhaps consider some externally worn knee guards that come on and off with straps. I'm thinking about just throwing style to the wind and strapping a set of of knee protectors on in the same way that gloves go on.
Maybe something like this? Alpinestars Vapor Knee Guard - RevZilla

RS1

It sounds like the only place where people really have a resistance and skimp on the armor is around their legs since the head, hands and body are usually covered and accounted for. At least, that's my problem.

I don't mind wearing my clothes under my jacket, but ask me to wear overpants and I'm like whaaaaa, you're crazy. And i feel like changing into pants is the most troublesome thing. It kind of is.

With that said, for the ultimate in utilitarian protection, perhaps consider some externally worn knee guards that come on and off with straps. I'm thinking about just throwing style to the wind and strapping a set of of knee protectors on in the same way that gloves go on.
Maybe something like this? Alpinestars Vapor Knee Guard - RevZilla

I was actually thinking that.. full helmet, knee, elbow guards, low riding boots at least.. they can just as easily be thrown inside the helmet and carried in.. abrasion at 10 - 20mph is bad I'm sure.. but probably just as bad as riding a mountain bike at that same speed, and I don't seem to feel the need to gear up when I ride the mountain bike (aside from a helmet)...

Is this what you plan on doing for around town utility rides on hot days?

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I was actually thinking that.. full helmet, knee, elbow guards, low riding boots at least.. they can just as easily be thrown inside the helmet and carried in.. abrasion at 10 - 20mph is bad I'm sure.. but probably just as bad as riding a mountain bike at that same speed, and I don't seem to feel the need to gear up when I ride the mountain bike (aside from a helmet)...

Yeah, I think some removable guards would work a hell of a lot better than nothing at all.

It's a no brainer that the hot weather is less than ideal to ride in with full gear, but that doesn't mean that I'd wear less gear persay. what that does mean is that I'll probably be picking up a summer mesh jacket and a helmet with better ventilation. Or just...not ride until the evenings.

Killawatts

Black wife beater, stylish black helmet, some gloves (black also) and jeans. You'll most definitely end up maimed (but who knows you might get lucky), if you have an accident, however the ladies will be totally in love with your alpha male status.

Who wants to live forever, anyway?

RS1

Yeah, I think some removable guards would work a hell of a lot better than nothing at all.

It's a no brainer that the hot weather is less than ideal to ride in with full gear, but that doesn't mean that I'd wear less gear persay. what that does mean is that I'll probably be picking up a summer mesh jacket and a helmet with better ventilation. Or just...not ride until the evenings.

I'm with you on the mesh jacket.. It's the pants that I'd probably skimp on for a 2 mile ride at low speeds. The jacket is easy to hang up somewhere... Also the boots and gloves go without saying.. Boots you can get a nice pair that's ankle height only and comfortable enough to walk around in, while still having good protection..

Jacek3743

Omg... I missed the part where you said "I imagine..."

Jacek3743

Black wife beater, stylish black helmet, some gloves (black also) and jeans. You'll most definitely end up maimed (but who knows you might get lucky), if you have an accident, however the ladies will be totally in love with your alpha male status.

Who wants to live forever, anyway?

We have so much testosterone riding around here that I feel like it's hard to not find a squid

Jacek3743

For your riding boots, check out Icon. They have some options where they take a simple street shoe and make it for the motorcycle.

This one is the one I want to get:

Icon 1000 Truant boots

ssky0078

Has anybody tried the Bohn Body Armor? It looks pretty sweet to be able to put under jeans and just have a light t-shirt or Under Armour shirt on under it.

onesonofamitch

Has anybody tried the Bohn Body Armor? It looks pretty sweet to be able to put under jeans and just have a light t-shirt or Under Armour shirt on under it.

I have the Bohn adventure pants and they are fantastic. I was worried they would get hot or be too bulky, they are neither. I can wear them with any pair of jeans, which for the fashion conscience is nice, and I really get the feeling I'm protected. They have shin/knee guards, thigh guards, hip guards, and a butt pad that is all ce rated armor. So even if my jeans did rip through i would still have a lot there to go through before i had to worry about contact with the pavement.

Jacek3743

I have something similar mesh top like that but by fox. I got the chinese knock off but let me tell you, that thing is really good for a knock off. It breathes really well and I got to try on the real thing and it felt I was naked underneath it but with gear on so I never felt hot in it