What brand of gear do you wear?

J

jer

As a somewhat new rider of just under 2 yrs, I feel like I got lucky with my local motorcycle gear shop where I took my MSF course coupon and they helped me get the proper size Scorpion EXO 1100 helmet and I started with matching gloves which had little protection. I then bought waterproof boots but not motorcycle specific.

When I bought my used Ninja 500R a month later at a large dealer, I bought a Cortech GX Sport Air 3.0 Mesh jacket with 3 layers for 25% off, I was learning as I went and did not know any brand names to look for or stay away from. I was more concerned with learning about the motorcycles as I was new to everything. I soon upgraded to the matching Cortech gloves which are super comfortable but maybe not that protective. I upgraded my boots to a pair of Alpinestars waterproof riding boots.

Last season I bought some riding pants with stretchy sections and cheap knee pads but they shrunk and now I am considering making upgrades of all my gear except for my helmet. Protective under shorts and knee pads vs. protective riding pants. Most people seem to prefer Alpinestars or Dainese, at least on other forums. Icon seems to be nice but it gets a lot of hate on other forums, but then some motovloggers seem to love Icon. I just want some real opinions of what you use, what you like or don't like. This info could help many new riders.

HeresMyMind

HJC helmet - Only helmets that fit my head right, (round head) and it is also high vis
ICON jacket - best looking high vis jacket I could find
Victory Gloves - best gloves I could find (were free when I bought my bike)

-B

Bagman

I have a mix of brands, but that's alright. An HJC helmet has served me well for 3 years, but I can now afford a Shoei GT-Air (buying very soon). ICON for the leather jacket. Revzilla was blowing out Teknic Lightning gloves last year (full gauntlet). TCX X-Cube boots, because they fit amazing, and actually offer protection without being storm-trooper boots.

bpassmore8

Shoei RF-1100 helmet, Icon textile and leather jackets, alpine star boots. I really like the jackets and boots. This is the only motorcycle helmet I have ever had so can't offer much on it.

D

Deleted member 3631

I have an HJC Rpha (primary) and a AGV skuline (backup) for helmets, Dianese Zen evo jacket and dianese pants to zip up together, My gloves are sedici (cyclegears upper house brand) i chose these because they felt more comfortable than my old alpinestar gauntlets, they also have a lifetime wawrrantee, ive replaced mine twice already for minor stuff like velcro or something dumb. My one piece suit i use at the track is a Frank Thomas (cyclegears old brand) id wear my dianese but i dont like the thought of zipping a suit together, my boots are alpinestar smx5,

tout1jn

I'm currently using a Shoei GT-Air and a Speed and Strength "Speed Strong" jacket. I chose the jacket because it came with shoulder, elbow, and back protection for like $150ish. It also has minimal branding, which I like (the jackets that have the brand huge across the chest or back look pretty lame IMO). The helmet and jacket have been great, good venting, comfortable, good looking. I have some sub par Oakley gloves that I'm looking to replace this season, I've been looking at Icon, S & S, and Dainese.

Imp88

I roll with: shoei rf-1200 helmet, dainese air frame jacket, alpine stars Gp air gloves, speed and strength jeans and shoes. Overall I love my gear! Great for hot weather riding(jeans are a lil heavy but I'll take the protection) and works well for early spring and fall weather too. I'd like to get alpine star shoes and another pair of riding pants eventually. Need my exhaust and fuel tuner first... :D

J

jer

Thanks for the replies so far, not too surprising to see a bunch of Dainese, Alpinestars and Icon mentioned plus a variety of others too. It turns out I have been very lucky so far because my Cortech jacket is XXL but it's larger than I should have been wearing by a size or two. Nobody told me how snug a jacket should be and how the protective padding should fit, only from watching tons of Anthony (Revzilla) videos did I decide to check that out. I bought a new closeout Alpinestars leather jacket on eBay, if that fits well I will be looking into new gloves next. I'd like to stick with Alpinestars, maybe SP-2's?

J

jer

Still searching for a new jacket and wondering which hi-viz Icon jacket you did get and how it fits? The Alpinestars leather jacket didn't end up to fit me and now I have to pay fees to return it. Should have gone to Revzilla or a local shop for apparel.