What are your shifting habits? Please help

eru000

I dunno. I've never gotten it completely drained (though I do take a 1L jerry can with me on long trips). I've gone 145-ish miles on a full tank once. That's the farthest I've gone.

Davor_

I'd it's a brand new bike with 1600mi on it and it's been like that since the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umyaya

Do you have a speedohealer ? Also you have to go by the odometer the plan trips read faster. Because stock isn't accurate. If you are getting 40 to 50 you probably aren't ripping on it I assume?

eru000

I actually get better mileage when going balls-out in the mountains than I do commuting in the city.

dabner

YES!!! I thought I was crazy when I was ripping along a very hilly and twisty Gaspe Peninsula and getting an honest (speedoDRD) 5.7L / 100km. That equates to 41mpg, which was my all time best... as seen on

FZ8 (Yamaha FZ8) | Fuelly

And I'd wager that my calculations are one of the most accurate!!! I can stretch a tank to 250km, or 155 miles.

Last edited:

eru000

Yep! It has to do with the fact that you aren't stopping. It's the starts/stops and the idling which kills fuel efficiency.

dabner

Yep! It has to do with the fact that you aren't stopping. It's the starts/stops and the idling which kills fuel efficiency.

I'm not convinced of that, because even on relatively flat, long distant riding I wasn't getting that good a fuel milage. I think it's because I was doing 80-90km/h (50mph), versus 130km/h (80mph).

eru000

I'm not convinced of that, because even on relatively flat, long distant riding I wasn't getting that good a fuel milage. I think it's because I was doing 80-90km/h (50mph), versus 130km/h (80mph).

Sure. Speed is a huge factor.

618FZ8

Tapatalk brought me here.. :p So I read it and here's my response to OP. I always ride around between 4-6k being stock exhaust to make some noise.. Shift right after I bump the throttle obviously. And when I'm cruising and don't feel like reaching for the bar/clutch, just bump the throttle a bit and shift er' up.

myklobe

If there's room on the road, I use the lowest gear possible. I'm not super nice to my bike, but I don't hump the rev limiter either. I figured if it didn't want to see 9-10k all the time, it would have the red line drawn more left on the tach :)

frogger

i lost my license for 6 months and when i got it back i felt like i couldnt rev the bike as i was really paranoid of speeding. i found wearing earplugs helped. but i have a custom M4 pipe that is loud. i also ride to work at an average speed of 60kph and its a 5 mins ride and i sit at about 3 to 4k rpm. these bikes are not top end screamers they are more low end for around town. i get about 240km to a tank. running on 98 octane fuel as a standard.