Well, this sucks... (hit a serious pothole on the BQE in Queens, N.Y.)

eru000

I just hit an at-least-one-foot-deep pothole on the Westbound center lane just south of exit 39 at about 60mph. Dented the front wheel (hoping I can save that, it's holding air), severely bent the rear wheel, which isn't holding air, and bent the rear suspension linkages. Almost came off, but managed to get the tank-slapper under control and the rear tire held air long enough to get to the side of the road. Slowly rode about 1000ft to the next exit on the flat, and waited for the tow truck. Insurance deductible is $1000, so this repair is all me. Hopefully the rear tire isn't damaged, since it's only a few months old.

As I've been waiting two cars exited with flat tires from this pothole. I've reported it to 311, and I'm going to pursue filling a claim against the city to pay for parts (I'll be doing the repairs mostly myself).

I've seen prices for the rear wheel at $200-250 on ebay. Still looking for other options. Anyone know if the FZ1 wheel will work?

PICTURES: FZ8 pothole damage - Imgur

VIDEO: Hit a major pothole on a motorcycle on the W/B I-278 (BQE) in Queens, NY - YouTube

Last edited:

pae58

FZ1 rear wheel fits (but it's 6", the F8s 5.5"). FZ1 front wheel is 3.5" as the FZ8s but the axle wont fit.

Axel

Rotaryknight

holy crap dude, thats a huge pot hole.

I dont know of any aftermarket wheels for the FZ8, but I think the stock wheels would be a better choice.

I mean, if the rim isnt cracked a rim repair shop can probably fix it.

I dont know about pothole laws in New York but in Pennsylvania the state isnt allowed to pay for damages to the wheel, tires and such. They will only pay out if say you hit a pot hole and you crash into another car or something like that. They will work with you on the claim to see if they can help you. My cousin actually tried to file a claim for tire and wheel damage and was straight up denied.

eru000

I mean, if the rim isnt cracked a rim repair shop can probably fix it.

The front I think is repairable, but the back is pretty damn bent. I mean, I'll still have the shop look, but with the rear on a paddock stand, the wheel looks out-of-round as well.

Sinooch

Im kind of seeing a pattern going on here. I went down 2 weeks ago and slid my bike. Banky crashed yesterday. you hit the nasty pothole and thank god you didn't go down but still the bike took some damage. Is there something in the air or water? It just seems odd to me. hopefully nothing happens to anyone else and everyone stays safe. glad your okay

eru000

Is there something in the air or water? It just seems odd to me

Nope, just the normal bullshit people (and municipalities) think is okay.

And thanks. I'm fine other than a scratch on my hand from it scraping the throttle tube assembly (through my ****ing glove).

pae58

The 6" rear wheel fit's perfect. We have some FZ8s with this and 190/50 tyre running in our german forum.

Axel

eru000

The 6" rear wheel fit's perfect. We have some FZ8s with this and 190/50 tyre running in our german forum.

Axel

Ah, I saw elsewhere that the 6" is the rim width. I was thinking of the hub width, for some reason. I'll have to look into it, since I saw a gold FZ1 wheel for $40 cheaper than the FZ8 on ebay.

Do the brakes and sprocket match up? I *just* replaced the chain and sprocket and I'd rather not have to buy a new one.

pae58

Just change the wheel. Axle and nut, brake disc, hub/sprocket are fitting. And of course the 180/55 tyre can be used.

eru000

Just change the wheel. Axle and nut, brake disc, hub/sprocket are fitting. And of course the 180/55 tyre can be used.

For the FZ6 or FZ1? For the FZ1, the wheel is a half-inch wider, which means that unless you use a wider tire, it's going to be a little flatter and completely change the handling characteristics.

pae58

... the wheel is a half-inch wider, which means that unless you use a wider tire, it's going to be a little flatter and completely change the handling characteristics.

Right. But changing the tyre type from touring to sport or other way around changes the handling very much more than this half of an inch ...

Axel

eru000

Right. But changing the tyre type from touring to sport or other way around changes the handling very much more than this half of an inch ...

Axel

Correct, but assuming the same tire (which I would buy if I had to replace), 10mm is a big difference. Basically, my though process here is that if the shop deems my tire safe to use, I'll pick up an FZ8 wheel. If not, and I have to buy a new tire anyway, I'll get the cheaper FZ1 wheel and a 190 tire.

eru000

Also, does anyone know what years an FZ1 wheel will fit? They're much more common than FZ8 wheels. I found a 2005 model for under $100...

Do any of the R6/R1 parts work?

npeifer2308

Damn man, glad to see you're ok but that really sucks about your bike. Hopefully you can get it up and running again for a decent buck. I've hit some pretty decent sized potholes driving around the tri-state area but nothing that big. Anyways, good luck with the repairs.