Well I guess this means oil-change

Nstr_FZ8

Just reached the 600 miles.
Will bring her to the mechanic this week.
Any suggestions guys? Questions i should ask him, things I should tell him before-hand? Things I should check after he does the service to make sure he was thorough? .. Any way of checking he did everything needed to be done on the first service?...
I mean, i dont know this guy, but hes close with my best friend so... I should be ok right? Idk, kinda nervous here, lol

Last edited:

Kardiac996

I always make them walk the bike over with me. Point out all fluid levels etc.

Look at your owners manual and go over the 600 mile service with them on completion. pretty straight forward service and nothing thats major to be worried about.

I usually am worried they don't do the things they say they do, oil and filter change etc... Oil sight window should show goldish color oil not the old black oil. and I always put a red paint marker line on my filter to make sure they had changed it.

On my 600 mile service I walk the bike my self with the provided tools and make sure all screws etc.. are tight on the bike.

Have fun and keep all your paper work!!!

Bajaedition

600 mile is kind of important you let the dealer you bought it from to do it. It gives them time to check the bike over and see if anything is not adjusted right or is going wrong.
Believe it or not, you will want to have that paperwork if you want to have a warranty claim. They can not deny having had it back to check all that stuff.

AlCab

When I had mine done, I printed out the checklist from the manual that shows what should be done during the 600 mile service and gave that to them. One thing is that they did not put on the plastic trim piece on the front of the gas tank correctly. If you have ever taken that off, you will know that there is a trick to getting it on and off - you kind of have to twist it on and twist it off for the plastic mounting tabs to line up correctly. I didn't notice it until I got home. Luckily, they didn't break any of the plastic tabs even though they screwed it back on with the tabs not properly aligned/engaged.

This was an independent shop so they probably don't work on a lot of FZ8's and were not aware of the rather unique procedure of removing and installing that trim piece so I don't hold it against them. I will use them again.

MotoZen

. . . One thing is that they did not put on the plastic trim piece on the front of the gas tank correctly. If you have ever taken that off, you will know that there is a trick to getting it on and off - you kind of have to twist it on and twist it off for the plastic mounting tabs to line up correctly. I didn't notice it until I got home. Luckily, they didn't break any of the plastic tabs even though they screwed it back on with the tabs not properly aligned/engaged. . . .

I had the same problem from the dealer. I went to install a cell phone charger on the bike and when I took off the "batwing" to lift the tank, the little tab that hooks under the bracket was bent up and not on properly. At least they didn't break it though and all I had to do was bend it down a little and it's fine now.