way over priced center stand

packnrat

looking to add a center stand but as it is only in "steel" does any out there know enough about another metal that could be used for this item?
just looking to reduce the weight of the item, sure only something like 6 or 7 pounds. still needs to be strong. not flimsy.

could one be made in say titanium? that would work not be a problem, and weigh in say under 4 pounds? right now not worried about cost.. but if built then YES worried about cost. what would it cost?

packnrat

with "other" mods the bike will be loosing more than enough to compensate for the weight. but right now just looking to see if a alt would work.
with a different muffler and add a steel stand. the bike has a net loss of one pound just there. and no noise penalty. :eek:

how fast do you want to go...........just add money.

how light do you want to go...........just add money.

how much bling do you want...........just add money.

how broke are you........................just add money.

:bday:

lothodon

Super Moderator
i'm gonna be "that guy" but if you're concerned about weight why get a center stand at all? how about some swingarm spools and a rear stand?

mckshred

I agree. Replace the stock pipe and add the center stand and forget about it. It'll be there with you all the time (better than spools and stand IMO).

H

Hoover

I have taken the center stand off EVERY bike I have ever owned. I see no usefull purpose in them. Bulky, heavy, awkward to use. Pit stands have been around for years, both spooled and non spooled. Some of them are quite inexpensive.
I know several people who have had their bike knocked over by blind car drivers backing into them when they were on center stands. That won't happen on a side stand. I carry a puck in my pocket or under the seat in the summer, so no sinking.
On most standards, the first thing to touch under hard cornering is the center stand and I sure as shit wouldn't like to be the one on that bike when it digs in.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Centerstands awkward? No sir... not at all. The technique is simple and effortless done correctly. And with nothing more than the OEM stand and a block under the headers, you can have both wheels off in minutes without having to wheel two stands out of storage.

I've seen as many bikes over on a side stand as a center stand. How can you possible say it won't happen? Sure, less likely IF the driver hits it on the right but on the left? Your bike is taking a nap. :( I've also seen a bike pushed sideways on a center stand by a car without falling over. The debate can go either way. ;)

As for track days, nearly all riders remove it for that day. :D 10 minutes and done.

packnrat

not looking for the merits of a center stand..or not.

just about how and with what kind of metal.

if i was into dragging my knees around every corner i would just get a R1.

looking at doing some distance riding. so a center stand would prove use full at times. yes the track stands are great...at the track. but are less then useless for a problem on the rd 500 miles from home.

probley the stand would just gather rust in a corner of the shed. but if and when needed could install.

but back to the question...

Sschwar4

Haven't had a center stand on a bike in almost 10 years. Can't say I miss it either. Have a front and rear pit bull that work just fine. And much more stable than any center stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lyric911

Haven't had a center stand on a bike in almost 10 years. Can't say I miss it either. Have a front and rear pit bull that work just fine. And much more stable than any center stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And those are great for a garage or track. Center stand is always with you. Think 2000 mile trip - center stand for chain service.