Videos

Awesome vids,

Might I ask what were your speeds and gear selection, Sounded like 2-4th and you were going 45-85 (maybe to 100).

I liked the first vid the most where you could really see your body position, made it feel like being on the bike.

Also,
What camera? What settings? What editing software?

I think I am definitely going to proceed with getting some track time in after watching that. The main AMA track group here in Scottsdale says it will make you a better street rider and I believe it now after seeing that.

The crash I just had actually was similar to your back tire breaking lose, only that I hit gravel as the cause at low speed 20-25 mph maybe. I couldn't recover in time to stay on the road way but almost got tossed high side when the tire regained traction.

Awesome vids,

Might I ask what were your speeds and gear selection, Sounded like 2-4th and you were going 45-85 (maybe to 100).

I liked the first vid the most where you could really see your body position, made it feel like being on the bike.

Also,
What camera? What settings? What editing software?

I think I am definitely going to proceed with getting some track time in after watching that. The main AMA track group here in Scottsdale says it will make you a better street rider and I believe it now after seeing that.

The crash I just had actually was similar to your back tire breaking lose, only that I hit gravel as the cause at low speed 20-25 mph maybe. I couldn't recover in time to stay on the road way but almost got tossed high side when the tire regained traction.

I was mainly in 2nd or 3rd through the corners, on the front straight I was in 5th. My speedometer is off (like all of ours) but on the front straight it was reading 140mph and though most of the turns it was reading about 80mph. The first turn after the front straight was reading 100mph, and one of the long turns on the back part of the track was at 128mph. A lot of people disconnect the cluster, but I like seeing the speeds that I'm going because it tells me that I can always go a little faster.

I'm using a GoPro Hero HD. I got mine at Walmart for like $200? You can find them cheaper online but I needed it fast for the track. As for Editing software, Windows movie maker. And the as far as the settings go, unless you already have a GoPro, it wouldn't make any sense lol.

Lee, I love reading about and watching your track day stuff. Do you really have time to look at your speedo?
I have only ever ridden on a track once, and that was Road America at the AMA supers, years ago. The first year they did it, it was a free for all and I remember thrashing my 78 Z1R Kawi around as fast as I dared. I didnt look down once..Just focused on listening to the engine for shift points and keeping it on the track. I did have a blast though!
I'm too old and lazy to ride like that anymore!!

I always look at my speedo even though I know I'm not suppose to lol. If I'm in a long sweeper I always glance at it to see how fast I'm taking it, then I lean a little further and roll on the throttle a bit more. It's how I set goals for myself.

I did a driving experience Team Texas at Texas motor speedway it had a dash cam. they gave us a dvd of us running laps and watching it seemed so slow compared to the driving. My eye's were glued to the track and blow's my mind how calm the pro's are. they did not do timing either because they didn't want people running out of talent.

Here are a couple videos of my track days. I just thought I would post them up to show the difference after changing out the rear shock. The first one is completely stock and I was running 2:20 to 2:25 lap times. The second one was with the Ohlins rear shock and my fastest lap was 2:09. Not sure if you are able to tell the difference. I'll upload one with where my rear shock sagged and my back tire broke loose later.
I enjoyed watching that a lot but how I wish you'd left the music off. But really enjoyed them anyway! :D

No music? why not? I add music to most of my videos. I love the sound of the bike, but after a couple minutes of the exhaust during a video, it all sounds the same lol

I was mainly in 2nd or 3rd through the corners, on the front straight I was in 5th. My speedometer is off (like all of ours) but on the front straight it was reading 140mph and though most of the turns it was reading about 80mph. The first turn after the front straight was reading 100mph, and one of the long turns on the back part of the track was at 128mph. A lot of people disconnect the cluster, but I like seeing the speeds that I'm going because it tells me that I can always go a little faster.

I'm using a GoPro Hero HD. I got mine at Walmart for like $200? You can find them cheaper online but I needed it fast for the track. As for Editing software, Windows movie maker. And the as far as the settings go, unless you already have a GoPro, it wouldn't make any sense lol.

I asked about the speed and gearing because I've made a couple videos and know exactly what you mean about the apparent speed in the video being a lot slower feeling than the actual event.

I got a GoPro Hero2 ($200 at costco) and run it at 720p60fps. I like the quality of your vid is why I was asking. Also curious about rendering settings (I keep mine at 720p60fps).

As for the music I liked it. If you don't, you can mute it,right?. The drone of the engine gets old after awhile. If you get more proficient at Movie Maker it allows you to alternate between music and bike sound (I started messing with that in my last vid and sucked but I can see potential) to where you can increase and decrease the volume to some pretty specific levels along the way (Like a couple of scenes you could have decreased the volume on the music as your revs climbed coming out of a corner or opening into the straight, then bring the music back, LOL) Still great vids and keep em up. I should sub your channel

Cool vids. I've recently been scraping my pegs and getting frustrated with them! Is just removing the feeler an option? I'm not really in a situation to drop 300$ on new rearsets, but I'd most likely move to a more race ready machine if that seems to be my best option. How much higher are the vortex sets than stock?

Cool vids. I've recently been scraping my pegs and getting frustrated with them! Is just removing the feeler an option? I'm not really in a situation to drop 300$ on new rearsets, but I'd most likely move to a more race ready machine if that seems to be my best option. How much higher are the vortex sets than stock?

Yes, you can remove the feelers. If you remove them you can get quite a bit lower before hitting the peg. The Vortex rearsets are a lot higher than stock. I have mine all the way back and up so I get my feet as far from the ground as possible. But like I said, take the feelers off and you get a lot more clearance. Just grab them with some pliers and unscrew them.

I asked about the speed and gearing because I've made a couple videos and know exactly what you mean about the apparent speed in the video being a lot slower feeling than the actual event.

I got a GoPro Hero2 ($200 at costco) and run it at 720p60fps. I like the quality of your vid is why I was asking. Also curious about rendering settings (I keep mine at 720p60fps).

As for the music I liked it. If you don't, you can mute it,right?. The drone of the engine gets old after awhile. If you get more proficient at Movie Maker it allows you to alternate between music and bike sound (I started messing with that in my last vid and sucked but I can see potential) to where you can increase and decrease the volume to some pretty specific levels along the way (Like a couple of scenes you could have decreased the volume on the music as your revs climbed coming out of a corner or opening into the straight, then bring the music back, LOL) Still great vids and keep em up. I should sub your channel

I'm running mine at the 960P 30FPS setting. It makes the best slow motion videos and give a great range of view.

I'm running mine at the 960P 30FPS setting. It makes the best slow motion videos and give a great range of view.

I agree on the FOV setting at 960 but respectfully disagree about the FPS. Check out the video below in someones backyard comparison of the settings

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE0J8UJSW9w]GoPro HD Hero 3 Black Edition Slow Motion Comparision - YouTube[/ame]

Or the even better video only watch the last minute:D:D:cheers::yes::yes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZf7W8Az9qY]GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition Slow Motion 240fps Test NO TWIXTOR - YouTube[/ame]

I agree on the FOV setting at 960 but respectfully disagree about the FPS. Check out the video below in someones backyard comparison of the settings

GoPro HD Hero 3 Black Edition Slow Motion Comparision - YouTube

Or the even better video only watch the last minute:D:D:cheers::yes::yes:

GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition Slow Motion 240fps Test NO TWIXTOR - YouTube

....I'm sorry, what did you want me to look at? Got a little distracted from the second video :D Hmm...so the higher the FPS the better the slow motion? Makes sense, but also gotta think of range and memory. I think I tried mine at the 1080P setting but if I remember right, the video seemed worse. I'll have to play around with mine again.

stock tires?

No No No...I would never try to run these speeds on the stock tires. Not saying that the Bridgestone Battleaxes are bad or anything...just don't trust them. My first track day I ran the stock tires and after they heated up, they started slipping. Now before everyone else gangs up on me defending the stock tire, let me say this. It was 100F outside so think of how hot the track was and it was 20 minutes of continuous riding at a time. They start marbleizing after a while which makes the traction crap. I'm running the Michelin Pilot Power Pures. Great all around tire. Heats up fast, great traction, and it's rated for wet weather. I believe they are discontinuing them though because they are coming out with something better. Next year I will probably be running the Bridgestone S20s

Yes, you can remove the feelers. If you remove them you can get quite a bit lower before hitting the peg. The Vortex rearsets are a lot higher than stock. I have mine all the way back and up so I get my feet as far from the ground as possible. But like I said, take the feelers off and you get a lot more clearance. Just grab them with some pliers and unscrew them.

I was hoping the pegs would make a difference. Think I can get a knee down with the feelers gone? There's a minature race track (empty residential 1/4 mile loop) near my house. Might throw my leathers on for lunch and go try again :p

....I'm sorry, what did you want me to look at? Got a little distracted from the second video :D Hmm...so the higher the FPS the better the slow motion? Makes sense, but also gotta think of range and memory. I think I tried mine at the 1080P setting but if I remember right, the video seemed worse. I'll have to play around with mine again.

LOL, I knew I'd get your attention.

If you have the original HD Hero you may be limited in your options and successful efforts to mess with the settings. I think there was a big leap from the HD Hero to the Hero2 in setting adjustibility and quality of image. Your videos look good as is, but if you want to do more slo-mo stuff I would consider the upgrade. On your near crash video you could tell how the video capture began to break down due to the FPS.

Here's one more vid to check out if you do consider an upgrade.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvPBBHAuiI]GoPro HD Hero3 Black vs. Silver vs. Hero2 Visual Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

After doing a lot of research you begin to see the difference in quality of camera and how the higher video settings can give you more room to play with in editing.

Where is that track BTW? I want to get some track time in this upcoming year.

To be honest, you should be able to touch knee even with the feelers. Are you hanging off the bike? I'm usually a little more than one buttcheek off one side and my upper body hanging off. If you are crossing up you will lean the bike more than you have to and still won't touch knee. Also where are your feet on the pegs? You should have your toes on the pegs, not the center of your foot. I was told to act like you were holding on to the pegs with your toes lol. Anyways, body position is important if you want your knee to touch, otherwise you could run out of tire and wreck the bike. Also make sure your tires are nice and hot. If you are running stock tires, I would suggest riding for about 2 to 3 miles to be safe while accelerating hard and braking hard so the tires get nice and hot.

LOL, I knew I'd get your attention.

If you have the original HD Hero you may be limited in your options and successful efforts to mess with the settings. I think there was a big leap from the HD Hero to the Hero2 in setting adjustibility and quality of image. Your videos look good as is, but if you want to do more slo-mo stuff I would consider the upgrade. On your near crash video you could tell how the video capture began to break down due to the FPS.

Here's one more vid to check out if you do consider an upgrade.
GoPro HD Hero3 Black vs. Silver vs. Hero2 Visual Comparison - YouTube

After doing a lot of research you begin to see the difference in quality of camera and how the higher video settings can give you more room to play with in editing.

Where is that track BTW? I want to get some track time in this upcoming year.

That track was Thunderhill Raceway. It's in Willows CA. which is only like 45 minutes from my house.

Back