Video cameras... HD / VBloggers... what are your choices?

hypo

My wife has been stalking a few vbloggers on youtube and I've seen some pretty good video's that she's shown me.

She's really interested in at least getting a camera for our road trips, but having the option to do audio probably interests her. I was wondering if any of you have played with whats out there? Got any loves or hates?

She likes the DRIFT: Action Camera - Drift HD170 - Drift Innovation

I kinda like the contour: Contour | Products | Compare Cameras

I don't like the GOPRO just because its a box/boxline/not aerodynamic and have heard horror stories about configuration settings...
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-cameras/

anyone got 2 cents? :2cents:

Last edited:

mckshred

ContourHD

My mtb buddies are all using GoPros. There are pros and cons to both, I just couldn't do the same thing they were doing. I also borrowed a GoPro for a mtb trip and thought I was recording, when I got home I had like 847 still shots taken at 5 second intervals. I vowed against the GoPro right then.
  • GoPro has chest mount for hands free, Contour has no chest mount
  • Contour has XL Bar mount for handlebar mounting, GoPro handlebar mount is a cluge
  • Contour has good full face helmet mount, but I've only tested dh mtn biking, not on a motorcycle at 80mph.
  • GoPro has toggle start switch can't tell if it's on/off video/still mode
  • Contour has slide on/off and sound (one =on and two=off)
  • Contour video quality is slightly better IMO

Both have good waterproof cases. Contour is smaller and lighter and pretty durable without the extra waterproof case.

You'll need editing software if you want to get fancy at all, as oem software is not very functional

I posted this in the 'other forum'. I'll try to post footage so you can see what the final results are like.

I use a Contour HD - already owned one for mountain bike filming, so it was an easy cross over to motorcycling. I have a handlebar XL mount and use it to record my rides. The 16gig micro card gives me about 4 hours of recording. The battery last about 2.5 hours, so I have two.

Contour | Products | Contour Roam

packnrat

contour roam is a through away unit. when the batt can not hold more than 3/4 charge you can only dump in in the garbage.
go-pro can install new batt and they are cheep.

go-pro's can handle a crash.
contours can not
(from crash reports )

lots of ways to mount a go-pro
not as many ways to mount a contour.

go-pro does not have gps, (maybe the new mod might)
just found out the new gopro has gps, and there is now a controller works even with the hero. NOT the original model the 9XX something unit.
contour has one model with gps.

go-pros look stupid on the helmet..(side or top). has adjustable mount
contours not as bad. no adjustable mount

go-pros customer support is great.
unknown about contour.

go-pros no blue-tooth possible...(maybe the new model?) yes there is now blue tooth for the go-pro. streaming video via the hero2.
contour has blue tooth support...(some models).

i have the go-pro and love it.
no set up issues. do not need THERE program.
contour you MUST have a computer and THERE program to set it up.

both can be seen by varied viewer programs.

in the box
go-pro gives you many (sticky) mounts, and a head strap
contour only two (sticky) mounts.

this is my take squeak up if you know.."other".

Last edited:

hypo

her folks are here this weekend, and I haven't gotten her out on the twisties yet with it, but we are gonna go hit LIME CREEK ROAD up near Austin in the next two weeks if the weather holds out and I'll let you know. So far she likes it as she's tested it and played with it some. really easy to use it seems.