Velocity Stacks

D

DJK1505

So has anyone played with their stacks yet?

I have my bike running awesome now, and finally got my tune dialed in, and now its time to do something else. I am saving for the headers so I was looking into something cheap in the mean time. I ordered a set of 2007 R1 stacks, they are 140mm but not positive on the diameter, paid 20 with shipping so if they dont work out no big deal. I am wanting to even out all stacks to something like 135-140mm and see what that does to the mid power range. IT should increase low and mid a bit, but lose some top end. The stacks should be in today so I will be playing with them tonight and tomorrow. Want to get them installed or whatever I have to fabricate done before sunday, have a 200+ mile ride planned and want to test these out on this ride. So if anyone has done and adjusting to their stacks let me konw, looking for all input.

Thanks
DJ

minja714

not sure but i think there is a bigger performance gain if you added vtec and yamaha powered stickers.

it works on civics so i woudnt see why it wouldnt work on motorcycles, in fact it should work even better since our bike are better with power to weight.

D

DJK1505

Right, and what i have been reading is smaller stacks help with top end and the longer for low end. For 20 bucks and some time tinkering i wanna see what 140mm stacks all across does. When you ran all small did you feel a loss on the lower end?

Thanks
Dj

sinclap2

Lazy
not sure but i think there is a bigger performance gain if you added vtec and yamaha powered stickers.

it works on civics so i woudnt see why it wouldnt work on motorcycles, in fact it should work even better since our bike are better with power to weight.

:rof:

D

DJK1505

So working with that calculator setting the duration at 240, wave degree at 4, optimum rpm 11500, and intake diameter going from 3.5cm to 4.5cm (not sure the exact of ours and too lazy to look it up) it says the desired length should be anywhere from 163-165 mm. Ours stock are 125 and 150 mm, I am way off with my 140mm stacks. I will look some others up and see if I can find any 160+mm sets for cheap to play with.

Thanks for the calculator.

DJ

D

DJK1505

but then working with it on wave lenght 5 and the optimum rpm around 10 and 11K I get it in the 140mm range. Interested in what this turns up. The stacks have not shown up yet. Will play with them and see. Thanks again for the info guys!

DJ

D

DJK1505

Damnit man!!!!!

So the parts just came in, had the bike apart in 10 minutes, went to look at how to install the new stacks, no way in the world will these fit. So 20 bucks down, but it did give me a chance to do the measurements on what I need.

The r1 stacks were 47 mm mounting base and 47 ish mm opening, 84 mm long (guys add on ebay was wrong will email him, it says 140mm in his add)

FZ8
41 mm mounting Outside diameter (it fits into the air cleaner, so I needed the outside diameter measuremet.)
48 mm opening diameter

Now to start looking for a velocity stack around 140 mm long, with the mounting diameter I need.

D

DJK1505

So doing some more reasearch we share the air box with 06-09 FZ1 and 04-06 R1's. There are two options I have found and are a bit out of my price range of dirt cheap mods, right now.

Graves Velocity Stacks
or
Pro Factory

Will keep an eye out for a used set, but I want my header first so money goes towards that fund right now.

DJ

D

Deleted member 438

What I got from that thread on the FZ1 site is that we won't see that much of a gain because we don't have ram air. Do you know what the lengths are on the Graves so that we could compare the to ours?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DJK1505

I really want all stacks the same size in the 140-150 mm range. The Factory Pro are all the same size but not sure what that size is. And a bit pricey!

Hmmmm Doom, I guess Im just gonna have to wait and keep savin for the headers. 300 for stacks (gamble on power gains), or 550 header (proven power gain). Another few weeks for the header I guess.

DJ

F

Fazed

Why not get R1 throttle bodies to match the stacks?

Would there me much point changing throttle bodies?

What year model R1 would possibility fit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthy

So working with that calculator setting the duration at 240, wave degree at 4, optimum rpm 11500, and intake diameter going from 3.5cm to 4.5cm (not sure the exact of ours and too lazy to look it up) it says the desired length should be anywhere from 163-165 mm. Ours stock are 125 and 150 mm, I am way off with my 140mm stacks. I will look some others up and see if I can find any 160+mm sets for cheap to play with.

Thanks for the calculator.

DJ

Use to throttle body dia. and the length are from the valve to the edge of the stack. I used a welding rod to measure, then I measure the rod with a tape.

Check this out!
http://www.velocitystacksonline.com/product/B154-121

I got the tapper one from them. Work good for me and I cut them the length I needed. If you need to go short I suggest you to get the straight one... Since the tapper is 50mm long or so. I have a airbox mod thread on the FZ6R forum... you might like it.

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

How did you secure them in?

That is exactly what I am looking for, these are 120mm, gonna look and see if they have any other lengths.

Are you running all one length?

All the R1 stacks I have seen are much shorter than our. I want longer and equal length.

Thanks for that link!!!!!!

DJ

D

DJK1505

Also you were saying the V stack length is measured from the butterfly to end of stack? So these 120mm stacks plus length from mount to flap will give the total of my v stack? Say its another 8 mm from mounting base to flap then these would be considered 128mm stacks?

Thanks for the info mate!

DJ

Marthy

How did you secure them in?

That is exactly what I am looking for, these are 120mm, gonna look and see if they have any other lengths.

Are you running all one length?

All the R1 stacks I have seen are much shorter than our. I want longer and equal length.

Thanks for that link!!!!!!

DJ

It kind of work out good. On my ride the stack are made of rubber tube. The throttle bodies are 32mm diameter and for some reason the stack are 34mm. Well, the inside dia. of the stack are 32mm and outside dia are 34mm. So I cut off the stock stack just long enough to put a hose clamp then I cut the aluminum stack the length I needed and slide in in there.

I did a little test at first to make sure it all goes in. I had to over side the holes in the airbox so the stock stack can expand a bit since the taper part wasn't going pass that point. When it was all good I put some brake clean on the stack to slide it in. While its wet it slide in and snug the hose clamps nicely but once dry it doesn't move. Mine are all the same length. I can't go any shorter because of the taper is a bit too long. Doing it over I will order the straight one...