USB Charging Port

npeifer2308

I dont know why but I had figured the usb port would of been mounted on the handlebar for easier access/convenience, but it's still a cool little idea I might have to steal.

I dont know why but I had figured the usb port would of been mounted on the handlebar for easier access/convenience, but it's still a cool little idea I might have to steal.
Yeah that was on my mind but I decided against because I would have to get a phone mount, phone case , etc plus I like my handlebars clutter free ;)

Simikin

Here's a similar idea that I did, yours is better positioned for bad weather. I only use mine if it's nice out or if I've fitted my windscreen for a highway trip.
I made an aluminum plate, then had to make a bunch of adjustments before it was finally right and I painted it. I put in a small relay with a fuse near the battery, and switched the relay from an ignition source so the socket's only live with the key on, and ran the wiring up the frame with the original bundle. I mounted a small ram mount ball on the bar clamp, so it's really bare-bones unless I install a mount for my gps or phone.
Hopefully my pictures show!

IMG_20160301_143844.jpgIMG_20160301_143941.jpg

Bagman

Is the switch to provide on/off power to the USB ports? It's a nice install. Do you plan to leave your phone charging under the pillion seat, or run a cable that snakes into your jacket to a phone mount on the handlebars?

Yes I use the switch to provide on/off power for the ports. I prefer to keep my phone under the pillion to charge, I like to keep things off my handlebars and didn't want to fuss with running wires through my jacket. It works great for me because I don't actively need/use my phone will riding, but I wanted a way to keep it charged for long rides.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bagman

Indeed, and if you have (or get) a BT Comm unit you can use your phone while it's charging under the pillion anyways. You can listen to music, make phone calls and hear GPS instructions.

HeresMyMind

i put a small small one on the bars area, i use it to power my phone/gps in mmy ramm mount. that is a nice place to put a 2ndary one though.

-B