US Yamaha Parking Light Mod

Shleeve

I remember somebody discussing this in a thread at some point but I've searched and can't find the post. Anyways, as I'm sure you all know the US model of this bike comes stock with a plastic insert in place of the bulb in the yamaha emblem light above the headlight.
I wanna do this but I'm a total noob on lighting, what kind of bulb do I need and can I wire it to the leftover "running light" wires from my stock front turn signals?
After I get some guidance and get in there to do the mod I will be happy to take pics and create a small walkthrough :)

EDIT:
I said I was gonna make this a walkthrough, so here it is :p

Step 1:
Remove headlight.

Step 2:
Find this thingy on back of headlight.

I chose to dremel off the nipple before I drilled to get the drill more centered.

Step 3:
Drill

Important:
After drilling, be sure to get all of the loose pieces of debris out of the light housing. I used a Q-tip.

Step 4:
Insert your light.

Step 5:
Wire to the running light from a blinker (gray) and a ground (black). Since I have LED blinkers my running wires are unused and I had a male connector laying around so I used that. For the ground I had to splice in a wire.

Step 6:
Finished! Reinstall assembly.

Step 7:

Step 8:
Profit.

Last edited:

djcecil

i feel the same way about the spot, i have a service manual on the way, am very good at electrical and will be coming up with a good solid idea(s) so i will take pictures and pass on what i did/found out.

SpunkyTheTuna

Easy mod. Pick up a single filament socket from an auto parts store, the bulb or LEDs of your choice. What looks like a plug in the back of the headlight housing isn't. At least it wasn't in mine. Sure looked like it, though. You gotta drill through it with a bit sized for your bulb socket. Wire it into the parking light circuit and you're done. Comes on with the rest of the lights.

Mine's yellow, for what it's worth.

Shleeve

I got some 10mm leds but I went to autozone and wasn't sure what to get for the socket. They didn't have any that the 2 pronged leds would fit securely into. What am I looking for in a socket?

trixster8

If you use a bare 10mm LED, you'll need the correct resistor wired in series with the positive side of the LED. Otherwise your LED will last about 2 seconds and burn out. I needed a 470 ohm resistor, which I also got from radioshack. If you go with the bulb style, they should already have the resistance in the base of the bulb to accept 12volts.

djcecil

have not lit yet, but have all parts just deciding what level of light i want, but did put a decal to make the forks show up

minja714

have not lit yet, but have all parts just deciding what level of light i want, but did put a decal to make the forks show up
]

dude.. where did you get that sticker? hook it up

also i have a 10mm led bulb and i dunno how to install it with a resistor. Also i want to know exactly whats a good socket to use for the install

djcecil

any vinyl place (signs now etc) can cut that sticker, wife happens to have one at work. i think superbrightleds.com has a section with what resistor goes with what watt led. in another sight talking about angel eyes dude put the math formula,
R= (Vbatt -Vled)/iLed
Vbatt =12v battery
Vled = voltage rating for led (package should give voltage, 3.6v)
iLed = current rating for led (package again, 20mA or .02A)
formula
R= (12v - 3.6v)/(.02A)
R = 8.4v/.02A = 420Ω
resistor on positive side

minja714

any vinyl place (signs now etc) can cut that sticker, wife happens to have one at work. i think superbrightleds.com has a section with what resistor goes with what watt led. in another sight talking about angel eyes dude put the math formula,
R= (Vbatt -Vled)/iLed
Vbatt =12v battery
formula
R= (12v - 3.6v)/(.02A)
R = 8.4v/.02A = 420Ω
resistor on positive side

i mean like how to connect the resistor to the socket and how to make the led sit in the socket right without looking like a mickey mouse job.

also can i buy that sticker from you? send you paypal and you mail it out? that way i dont have to go to the hassle of another shop or searching it.

FaZerick8

R= (Vbatt -Vled)/iLed
Vbatt =12v battery
formula
R= (12v - 3.6v)/(.02A)
R = 8.4v/.02A = 420Ω

Excellent application of Ohm's law, where resistance (ohms, Ω) equals voltage (volts, V) divided by current (amperes, I): Ω = V / I

minja714

djcecil

i stole the formula, i know how to operate the torque wrench though! if she can get the time i'll have her cut another but she is at a miller beer dist, not a sign store so they don't use the cutter every day. i'll pm if i can get one.

lmracefan

For anyone wondering, I didn't use a standard 10mm LED and resistor etc. because it was too much work. I bought one of these
Dorman/Conduct-Tite 9/16 in. blue LED indicator light (84929) | Indicator Light | AutoZone.com
from autozone and put a big washer on the threaded part and then stuck it through the hole I made and secured it with the nut on the backside. Then you just have to attach a running light wire and a ground to the back.

How did you get the light thru the hole from inside the housing?