Tyre pressure loss - what's normal ?

1eejohnson101

Morning all,

I have a 2012 Fazer8, I dont ride it too hard I don't do high mileage and I haven't hit any potholes or bumps etc.

My tyres are set at 36 PSI at the front and 42 PSI at the rear as per the user manual.

Every week I lose 3 PSI on the front and 2 PSI on the rear. I measusre this cold at the same garage,

So I went to a garage and as a precaution they put a new valve on the front tyre. They couldn't see any issues with the tyre or wheel etc.

I left it a week and this morning I'm again down 3PSI on the front and 2 PSI on the rear.

Can anybody tell me is this normal and what do you see ?

Does anybody have any advice ?

I would call the dealer tomorrow but they're not open on Mondays....

Thanks very much !

Lee

xXAvroArrowXx

I may loose 6-8 psi over winter storage but week to week it's not appreciable at all. I have one of those 12v electric pumps that have the filler that locks to the tire valve. I find if it gets hung up when removing it lets 1/2 - 1 psi worth of air out of the tire not because its faulty but that there's really not a lot of volume in the tire so a little makes a big difference. Perhaps you are loosing air this way?

Last edited:

Ignacio-Arg

same bike here, same "problem". I think it's normal. Every saturday I check the pressure before riding it, and problem solve

HenryT

Yeah, unless for some reason there is a big fluctuation in temperature of the air inside the tire when you measure it, it should not fluctuate that much in a week.

This may be a stupid question but if your measuring them at a garage I would guess your riding the bike there? This would heat the tires for quite a while and give different #s. you did say they were cold....

Get a good gauge for yourself and measure the tire pressure after bike sitting overnight. Nice to see people checking this stuff.

Tango59

Even barometric pressure changes may change the tire pressure a bit. Check the tires cold then ride it a bit to warm them up. Check the pressures when you've heated the tires and see what they are.
What Henry said too.

RoadKill

i loose a few pounds a week. but that has been the case with pretty much every motorcycle i have owned. as the tires get older they loose air slower though.

FZ8canuk

Same here on my second set of tires now and I lose about the same so I went out spent some money on a good quality air tank set up and check the tire pressure every couple of days I can also run air tools of this thing and it beats the hell out of running to a garage every time you want to check tire pressure.

Last edited:

rail

Every set of tires I've had on motorcycles bled air. The stock BT-021s on my FZ8 were stable for several weeks in the heat of the summer but lately with the temperature starting to drop in the mornings and evenings I have had to do more adjustments. At least I would guess that it has to do with the temperature.

DLSGAP

Some car dealerships offer nitrogen as some newer cars actually come with nitrogen now... .
Costco offers it too if you have a location near you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

1eejohnson101

Thanks for the info

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice and experience, very useful.

I bought a quality digital tyre pressure monitor and found (not surprisingly) that the supermarket garage air machine pressure read differently to the monitor I had.....and I had not actually been losing as much pressure as I thought I had.

Anyway I've got a new hobby now, checking tyre pressures vs temperature and time. Boring and nerdy I know but at least I can use my pressure monitor and keep my paranoia at bay.

Take it easy

Lee

pigdog

spray a mix of dish washing soap & water on your rims & tires. if bubbles form, that's where your leak is. patch or replace. if you see bubbles between the rubber & the wheel, air is escaping from the bead that holds the tire onto the wheel & will need to be disassembled to fix. if the bubbles come from the tire,patch or replace