Turn signal issue

scrape

Picked up an '11 with just a few hundred miles on it a couple of months ago. Everything has worked perfectly since I've picked it up. It has a few options added to it, but mainly stock.
It does have Yamaha LED turn signals front and rear with the fender eliminator kit.

Today, the front right signal stopped working and the rear went to a fast flash. The left was normal until I got home and then it went briefly to a fast flash, although everything worked front and rear.

I reseated the relay under the seat, but that pretty much exhausted my knowledge on this. Reseating it did seem to correct the fast flash on the left side, but the front right remains out.

Any suggestions?

Just replace the relay? If so, is there an automotive equivalent or am I waiting for the local parts dude to "order one for me"?

Thanks.

thach1130

Take the turn signal off and test with a multimeter or 12v source to make sure it's not the light that is burned out. Regarding the relay under teh passenger seat, it depends. Are there any inline resistor for the turn signal? If no you need a relay design to work with LED lights to prevent fast flashing. If yes there are inline resister then yes you can replace with a simple automotive relay. They cost almost the same so why not just get one design to work with LED and lop off the resistors. eBay have numerous relay which would work. Search for FZ1 or FZ8 LED relay

socal

either the front bulb or relay went out causing a resistance drop in the system which makes the other blink faster

scrape

Take the turn signal off and test with a multimeter or 12v source to make sure it's not the light that is burned out. Regarding the relay under teh passenger seat, it depends. Are there any inline resistor for the turn signal? If no you need a relay design to work with LED lights to prevent fast flashing. If yes there are inline resister then yes you can replace with a simple automotive relay. They cost almost the same so why not just get one design to work with LED and lop off the resistors. eBay have numerous relay which would work. Search for FZ1 or FZ8 LED relay

I haven't traced the wiring back further than what I can see with the turn signal removed yet. There are no resistors that I can see and it appears to be the OEM relay.

It wasn't fast flashing before the front right signal stopped working. Can this still be a relay issue if just one signal isn't working?

scrape

either the front bulb or relay went out causing a resistance drop in the system which makes the other blink faster

LEDs, not a bulb.
Going to plead ignorance here, but it's a 2 pin relay. Can a faulty relay of this sort cause a single indicator to stop working?

scrape

Just replaced the relay and now the right rear flashes at a normal speed, but the right front is still out. One thing I just realized I did NOT do while I had it apart was to apply 12v directly to the signal. I'm going to do that now, but I suspect the signal is bad.

Is there anything integral to the signal that can be replaced? It looks to be a sealed unit and it is Yamaha brand, for what that's worth. Or is it just a throwaway item if it doesn't light with power applied directly to it?

Edit: And, on the other hand, it's entirely possible that the original installer spent a good bit more time trying to make it look neat and clean than paying attention to whether or not he was pinching the wires to the point of breaking when reassembling the bike. Cut out about an 8" damaged section of wire, soldered it back together and going riding.

Thanks for all the advice above. I'm now 100% more knowledgeable about LED systems than I was 24 hours ago. And got another first hand lesson in always checking the simple sh*t first.

Last edited: