TurboJoe Tuned ECU flash review

dtbrown

Mods:
-Two-bros slip on
-K&N filter with modified air box that his 3x larger opening while keeping the velocity stack design. (I didn't just cut a huge hole)
-Turbo Joe tuned ECU flash

Tune includes:
Map per gear for fuel and ignition timing (91+ octane)
Higher rev
Lower fan operating temp
Injector cut disabled
Air pump disable
Dyno tuned each gear

Joe +1 (917) 238-2050
Flash is $100 and you pay for shipping there and back.
It'll cost about $30-$50 for shipping depending on how fast you want it there and back and insuring ECU for $600.

Some people have said that with an ECU flash it feels like a new bike. I think adding an extra 30hp would feel like a new bike and since an ECU flash won't give you that I wasn't expecting a night and day difference.

I've given it a week of riding to be able to give my observation. My goal was to get some extra low end power between 3-8k since that's the rev range I at ride daily and the range where I felt the FZ8 was missing power the most. Well the flash did that and some. I wouldn't say it's OMG power but so far it's the only mod I've done that I've actually noticed. I couldn't tell much of a difference if anything with the slip on and the K&N for comparison.

Power is very smooth with no jump at 6k and I don't need to be at 6k anymore to get the 8 really going. Starting at about 3k I can feel a difference. Nothing mind blowing but definitely noticeable. Acceleration to redline is noticeable and comes quicker. I'm considering making a a video of acceleration to compare to some videos of stock 8's. Just have to figure out how to do it.

Overall for the money it's by far the best HP per dollar mod and the only mod I've actually noticed a difference with. And hat's probably contributing to my supporting mods too. If you where thinking of doing the ECU flash don't hesitate.

If there are any local 8's in Chicago I'd love to compare or have you test ride.

Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:

NoNine4me

I had the flash done. Not sure if I said it felt like a new bike or not but one thing I will add to the discussion is that if you've cut holes in your airbox, you have, without a doubt, lost low-end and midrange. That's just a simple function of fluid dynamics. You might have gained some top-end if your bike was dyno-tuned with this mod in place.

"Like a new bike" is hyperbole, of course, but what I'm trying to clarify is that the ignition timing and fueling changes in the first three gears strangle the stock bike so much that the Guhls flash, at any rate, does provide a BIG kick across the first three gears. My airbox is stock, with the K&N filter, and the bike is otherwise stock. Like a holed airbox, a pipe and/or slip-on is going to possibly net you more top end, but without careful tuning (and maybe even with it), those mods cause a commensurate loss of low and midrange power.

Just trying to clarify my experience with the Guhls reflash and the state of my bike, 'cause the difference was not subtle. So let's call it an old bike with a new tune.

dtbrown

Correct about the airbox and losing low end torque. I am trying the modified airbox and have a stock one to try after I've driven with this for a bit. But from what I've seen not to much is lost down low. I was going to go with guhls then I was recommended turbojoe because his tune was with my mods and eventually headers. Oh and his tune was half the price too. ;)

I had the flash done. Not sure if I said it felt like a new bike or not but one thing I will add to the discussion is that if you've cut holes in your airbox, you have, without a doubt, lost low-end and midrange. That's just a simple function of fluid dynamics. You might have gained some top-end if your bike was dyno-tuned with this mod in place.

"Like a new bike" is hyperbole, of course, but what I'm trying to clarify is that the ignition timing and fueling changes in the first three gears strangle the stock bike so much that the Guhls flash, at any rate, does provide a BIG kick across the first three gears. My airbox is stock, with the K&N filter, and the bike is otherwise stock. Like a holed airbox, a pipe and/or slip-on is going to possibly net you more top end, but without careful tuning (and maybe even with it), those mods cause a commensurate loss of low and midrange power.

Just trying to clarify my experience with the Guhls reflash and the state of my bike, 'cause the difference was not subtle. So let's call it an old bike with a new tune.

Umyaya

Correct about the airbox and losing low end torque. I am trying the modified airbox and have a stock one to try after I've driven with this for a bit. But from what I've seen not to much is lost down low. I was going to go with guhls then I was recommended turbojoe because his tune was with my mods and eventually headers. Oh and his tune was half the price too. ;)

Is turbo joe a guy or company? How does one contact them for a tune?

dtbrown

Is turbo joe a guy or company? How does one contact them for a tune?

Joe +1 (917) 238-2050
Flash is $100 and you pay for shipping there and back.
It'll cost about $30-$50 for shipping depending on how fast you want it there and back and insuring ECU for $600.