Transporting your bike...

Mr. Man

Besides using a truck or a trailer do any of you guys have any ideas or know of any ways to move your bike from place to place (besides riding it obviously)? ;) Also what do you all think about hitch mounted carriers? I know a lot have a weight limit that is less than the weight of an FZ8. I'm going to picking up an FZ8 a few hours away within the next week or too and don't have access to a truck anymore. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Gary

Ask the dealer to deliver your new bike. I was looking to buy a bike a few hours away and when I told the dealer I found a bike closer to me they offered to deliver it to me for free. Doesn't hurt to ask.

krillz

I use this for my Dirt Bike.Crank it Up!
Says it will hold a sport bike but I haven't tried it since I own a pick up and trailer. You need good springs on the Vehicle.

Besides using a truck or a trailer do any of you guys have any ideas or know of any ways to move your bike from place to place (besides riding it obviously)? ;) Also what do you all think about hitch mounted carriers? I know a lot have a weight limit that is less than the weight of an FZ8. I'm going to picking up an FZ8 a few hours away within the next week or too and don't have access to a truck anymore. Thanks for the suggestions.

I had one of these... NEW Steel Motorcycle Scooter Dirt Bike Carrier Hauler Hitch Mount Rack Ramp on eBay!

I used it i think 3 times going from Nashville to Atlanta. Each time it would take me 30+ minutes to get it all strapped up because I didn't trust that it could handle that much weight (yzf 600r - 460lb wet). I even had an extra steel tube welded in the main tube. It never bent or cracked but it's not worth the nervousness. Thats a lot of money sitting on a tube of steel at 80+mph....Anyways, i gave it to a buddy for his dirt bike and bought a $300 tilt trailer on craigslist and a $30 harbor freight wheel chock and have never looked back. Plus the trailer is useful to have around the house anyways.

Moral of the story. It'll probably work but it's not worth the worry. If i could do it over again i would go straight to the trailer and skip the hitch mount purchase.

Mr. Man

Ask the dealer to deliver your new bike. I was looking to buy a bike a few hours away and when I told the dealer I found a bike closer to me they offered to deliver it to me for free. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm actually looking at two different bikes at the moment. One from a dealer and one from a private seller. I'm not 100% sure which one I'll be getting at the moment. But if I do go through the dealer that may be an option. Thanks

I use this for my Dirt Bike.Crank it Up!
Says it will hold a sport bike but I haven't tried it since I own a pick up and trailer. You need good springs on the Vehicle.

I had one of these... NEW Steel Motorcycle Scooter Dirt Bike Carrier Hauler Hitch Mount Rack Ramp on eBay!

I used it i think 3 times going from Nashville to Atlanta. Each time it would take me 30+ minutes to get it all strapped up because I didn't trust that it could handle that much weight (yzf 600r - 460lb wet). I even had an extra steel tube welded in the main tube. It never bent or cracked but it's not worth the nervousness. Thats a lot of money sitting on a tube of steel at 80+mph....Anyways, i gave it to a buddy for his dirt bike and bought a $300 tilt trailer on craigslist and a $30 harbor freight wheel chock and have never looked back. Plus the trailer is useful to have around the house anyways.

Moral of the story. It'll probably work but it's not worth the worry. If i could do it over again i would go straight to the trailer and skip the hitch mount purchase.

I'll check both of those out but it looks like a small trailer (maybe something from Harbor Freight) is the way to go. Just because of simplicity, no worries and safety. Thanks for all of the info a suggestions. I love forums!

07cobaltLScoupe

yea i've had buddies get bikes delivered. when i picked up my 8 it was middle of February and it just snowed a few inches, so i just hauled it 1 hour home in my dads 2500HD lol