Towing a mountan bike behind an FZ8

AlCab

Hello gents. I haven’t been on here for a while, but I still have my 8 and still loving it. I am an avid mountain biker and typically drive to a trail that is about a 45 minute drive from my house. It’s a very scenic drive in the country so I have been wondering lately if there is a way I can use my FZ8 to transport my mountain bike to the trail instead of using my car. I was thinking of using a lightweight trailer meant to be towed by a bicycle for this purpose. Below are two trailers that I had in mind. I would attach a bike rack to the trailer so that my mountain bike would be held securely on it. I would then attach the trailer where my swingarm stand spools are currently attached.

Has anyone been down this road, or seen someone tow a mountain bike behind a motorcycle? Is this a stupid idea and I should abandon it immediately? I don’t want to spend a ton of money on this project nor do I have room to store a “real” motorcycle trailer so that is why I am looking at these options, plus, I want to minimize the weight of the trailer.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions. Flame suit on just in case.

Burley trailer:

"Bob" trailer:

FZ8Panda

I used to be a MTB fanatic before I got injured so I understand your yearning to use the 8 as a transport for the bicycle. I dunno if your looking to do something custom but there's a company called 2x2 Cycles that sells racks for motorcycles. Bit pricey but it might be a better idea than towing something on the back of your 8. Not entirely sure if it can be done on our 8's but you can contact them and see if it can be done. Seems like it can be installed on just about any motorcycle looking at their picture gallery. Not trying to flame, just my opinion. I would just be iffy about having a trailer hooked up to a motorcycle. Either way I be interested in what you come up with! :)

Motorcycle Bicycle Rack | 2×2 Cycles

http://youtu.be/vGl0ABh3JRw

Last edited:

AlCab

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that rack but I don't like the idea of having my bike cantilevered over the back like that. Plus, the advantage of a trailer is that I can put a lockable tote on it to put my motorcycle jacket, helmet etc. in while I am out mtn biking. Yes, I am looking at doing something custom starting with one of the 2 trailers pictured.

NoNine4me

Those bicycle trailers are meant for bicycle speeds. The tires, wheels, and wheel bearings will fail rapidly (most likely the first ride) at sustained speeds over 30 mph. The wheels are not balanced and the whole thing would be extremely unstable and dangerous. Also not designed for attachment to a motorcycle. The attachment point would have to be modified and would need to be able to withstand the stresses of the acceleration/deceleration/cornering of a motorcycle.

AlCab

NoNine,

You bring up a good point and one I have thought about as well. I do not plan to ride hard, obviously, when towing so I was thinking the bearings and attachment points would hold up ok. But you are probably right in that they will fail prematurely. I had not thought about the tires not being balanced.

thach,

That is an interesting set up he has. I'm not sure how he carries the front tire. In the pic, it is laying on the seat but I don't think that's how he transports it? I still like the trailer option though so I have a place to put a small tote to lock up my motorcycle gear while mountain biking.

Anyway, I probably won't pursue this. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks,

Al