Touring Modifications

Skiman

While I know that this may not appeal to all the FZ8 riders out there, I thought for us that tour it would be nice to have a spot to discuss what we’ve done to our FZ8 to make it a bit more comfortable and packable for touring whether it be for a long day, weekend or extend adventure or for those of you that are thinking about doing more touring and want to know what’s available to set yourself up.

Now I know that others in the riding community would think that the FZ8 is not a touring bike as it’s considered “naked” however, because of the shape of the tank, up right seating position and decent fuel mileage, it’s very easy to economically modify the 8 to tour without stripping stuff away, and most importantly…without having to spend a ton of money and wondering why you didn’t just by the BMW.

I bought my 8 as a 2012 left over with the intent of adding specific accessories to make it a more comfortable tourer and without giving up too much on the “naked” look or spending a ton of money. For me, I was able to repurpose some of the accessories that I had on previous bikes and able to find some other things through friends that were swapping accessories out for new ones or had some left overs themselves from previous bikes.

For me, I was out the door for just under $8k and I think I’ve spent around $1,500 to $1,800 in accessories (not including tires) that make the 8 a very comfortable mid weight touring bike that has just about everything I need and I’m not even close to the $15k that I would have spent on that Beemer!

Right away I knew that I needed to add a windscreen to keep the head from getting bounced around when up on the highway but I also figured out quickly that the shape of the 8’s tank lent itself pretty well to blocking wind down around the waist and upper legs, so wind protection only required the addition of the windscreen.

I also knew right away that I was going to need an area on the handle bars where I could add a bunch of switches, toggles and plug in’s, so I fabricated a dash which mounts directly to the stays that support the windscreen (just happened to work out that the dash I fabricated and mounted allows me to pull the windscreen without having to disassembly everything to service any of the wiring under the dash). The dash now accommodates the switch for the driving lights, waterproof power outlet, amp meter, and air temp. gauge

After riding the bike for I bit I realized that the radiator is pretty open and decided that I really needed to invest in some protection there and purchased one of the Yamaha guards while also investing in a set of frame sliders mounted to the sides of the engine.
After the radiator and sliders came the center stand and I figured that this would be an absolute necessity for any on road maintenance work that may have to be done. I actually wind up using it exclusively in the garage in lieu of the side stand.

I had a set of soft sided panniers that I’ve utilized and use them in combination with the
Shad top case that I mounted on the SW Mototech tail bracket. With the panniers, top
box and tank bag, I’ve got plenty of room for storage.

As I noted above when talking about the dash that I fabricated, I added a set of PIAA
driving lights to the front forks. The lights I got from a friend that had removed them from
another bike along with the complete wiring and fuses for the lights. The mounting
brackets I had to find and purchase.

In order to run the various accessories, I installed a power box under the pillion seat
and run all of the accessories through that except for the lights as they have their own
fusing. To that power box I added a heat troller for the heated jacket liner and gloves as
well as a trickle charger for the battery.

The only physical change that I’ve made to the 8, is to have a custom seat fabricated to
keep me from sliding forward and to sit my butt down a bit lower at the back of the seat.
The padding was completely removed and I had the material they use for people
confined to wheel chairs inserted. This one change has made the biggest impact on the
bikes overall comfort level. While I was at it, I also had the pillion seat reshaped to raise
the front edge so that the passenger wouldn’t slide into my back under braking.

The final addition was a recent switch to Michelin Road 4’s which give a much
smoother ride and hopefully have a more extended tire life.

While I have mentioned a few specific brands of accessories that I’ve purchased and
installed, I’d be happy to share info or photos should anyone care to know something
specific about a particular brand or model. Most everything that I added can be readily
found through a variety of websites including but not limited to: Twisted Throttle,
Competition Accessories, Revilla, Motorcycle Superstore or your local hardware store!

On May 2nd, the 8 is going to get some true distance mileage put on her with
approximately 3,000 to 4,000 miles in 9 days. Several friends and I are doing the Blue
Ridge Highway, Tail of the Dragon, Moonshiners, Claw of the Dragon, and a number of
other rides and I’ll be able to see if everything that I’ve put together works as intended.

Anyways, hope that this inspires some to consider touring modifications/accessories or
at least helps in the start to finding what works and what’s available for those that want
to tour on an FZ8. And to those of us that already tour on our 8’s, congratulations for
making a great choice!

MotoZen

Great write up. I use my bike for commuting, not touring, but what panniers are you using? I have a small Nelson-rigg tank bag that can also mount as a tail bag to their panniers. I'm just not sure of which ones I should really buy?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Skiman

Great write up. I use my bike for commuting, not touring, but what panniers are you using? I have a small Nelson-rigg tank bag that can also mount as a tail bag to their panniers. I'm just not sure of which ones I should really buy?

Moto....

Using the large capacity Nelson-Rigg soft sided panniers. Their not waterproof but I put everything in plastic bags anyways, that way I can pull out only that bag that I really need to get into rather than rummaging through everything.
I tried spray waterproofing on them....did nothing!

MotoZen

My tank bag came with a rain cover, do the panniers not come with them?

Skiman

My tank bag came with a rain cover, do the panniers not come with them?

Yes....they came with rain covers however they're a pain to get on and off. I also found that the bottom of the cover would fill up with water splashing up off the road and they would become soaked that way. Finally one of them tore and I decided to just forget the covers.

JAMF

Nice, I mostly commute, but I’ve done a few trips and am planning on many more. What wind screen is that and does it really help. I don’t mind the no shield, but I would not turn it down for a long haul. If I’m going directly into the wind for a long period of time, it can wear me down, I usually try to ignore it. I’ve put just over 18,000 on my fz8 since Nov. 12th 2011. I love it.

Skiman

Changing Front Sprocket for Increased Mileage

Has anyone changed the front sprocket to +1. Looking to drop the RPM's for highway travel and getting a few more miles per tank.

bschoolz1

fz8 tourer

im like you I found the fz to be a pretty good tourer I added the givi top box and givi saddlebag supports [these work excellent btw ] with moto centric bags I do 700 mile trips everyother weekend I would take it anywhere the only downfall is the seat I just ordered a coleman atv pad that should fix that. im 55 and also own a Suzuki v strom that's been just sitting I picked up my fz a month ago with 1k for 5k I have put almost 3 k on it since I love the motor in this thing.center stand will be my next purchase.

9 Lives

Has anyone changed the front sprocket to +1. Looking to drop the RPM's for highway travel and getting a few more miles per tank.

I did the +1 on the front sprocket not so much for touring, but I spend quite a bit of time on the hiway. But if I were to do some touring this would be my #1 mod, cruising on the hiway is so much more enjoyable when the engine is at a bit lower RPM, mine dropped by about 1000RPM which is about perfect for me. The engine seems to just purr along and doesn't seem to work as hard. This engine has lots of low end torque to compensate for the higher gearing. I haven't seen any big difference in MPG, but I have done other mods such as a slip on and a PCV.

bschoolz1

View attachment 3704
im like you I found the fz to be a pretty good tourer I added the givi top box and givi saddlebag supports [these work excellent btw ] with moto centric bags I do 700 mile trips everyother weekend I would take it anywhere the only downfall is the seat I just ordered a coleman atv pad that should fix that. im 55 and also own a Suzuki v strom that's been just sitting I picked up my fz a month ago with 1k for 5k I have put almost 3 k on it since I love the motor in this thing.center stand will be my next purchase.

Skiman

9 Lives....thanks for the feed back! I'm surprised that the +1 change dropped the RPMs that much and I agree that it should make the highway ride a bit more enjoyable. At the moment I'm getting between 52 and 55 mpg which is great for a bike that's rated by Yamaha to get around 39, but I'd still like to squeeze a few more out of it. Would like to get 175/180 miles before the warning comes on!

9 Lives

9 Lives....thanks for the feed back! I'm surprised that the +1 change dropped the RPMs that much and I agree that it should make the highway ride a bit more enjoyable. At the moment I'm getting between 52 and 55 mpg which is great for a bike that's rated by Yamaha to get around 39, but I'd still like to squeeze a few more out of it. Would like to get 175/180 miles before the warning comes on!

I am running just under 5k RPM at 110 kmph or approx 70 MPH. I have tested the speedo with a gps and its bang on.

You may have trouble finding a 17 tooth front sprocket. I bought my sprocket last year and its an AFAM sprocket but from what the bike shop told me, they have been bought out by another sprocket manufacturer and apparently they don't make the 17 tooth anymore.

Skiman

So I did a little research last night.....

9Lives installed a 17t (+1) front sprocket while keeping the stock rear sprocket at 46t which lowered the gear ratio from 2.88 (stock) to 2.71.

I could not find anyone making the 17t front sprocket (9lives suspected this) so I began looking at rear sprockets and found that Supersprox makes a 41t
(-5) and 42t (-4) sprocket. By keeping the stock front (16t) and going to a 41t rear, I can drop the gear ratio from 2.88 (stock) to 2.56 which should give me substantially more top end speed (which I really don't care about) along with the potential for much greater fuel mileage on the highway. The down side....loss of down low acceleration.

9 Lives

You might find that is a bit too much, There won't be any jackrabbit starts for sure. Personally I don't think I would like anything lower than what I have. If anything I would go with the 42 or 43t if they make it. Of course that's just my option, you may like it.

b8ppj

My Fazer 8 in touring mode in France for the cafe racer festival 2014

Givi soft panniers on lightweight rack, Wolfman tank bag, my waterproofs are attached to the rear seat and gladly were not required.
I also have a Yamaha touring screen that does lower the wind blast but prefer the looks of the standard

screen