Touring Mode: Activate

Evan

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the forum, so I'm posting to introduce myself/my bike, and discuss the modifications I've added so far. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the specific parts listed below.

I come from a Ducati background (Monster 620 and 848), and I recently picked up a 2012 FZ8. Im a huge fan lf this bike--riding comfort (and power) was very important to me and this moto doesn't fail to impress in either regard.

In late May I spent two days in Ischgl Austria. My dad, also an enthusiastic rider, pointed us in the direction of the Highbike Test Center Paznaun. For €75 per person including gear (off-season special) I rented a Ducati multistrada 1198 and he a BMW R1200R and we took off into the curvy mountain roads of the Alps. What an incredible experience, and I highly recommend it to anybody looking to do riding in Europe!!!! Here's a link to their website http://www.highbike-paznaun.com/

Upon our return I immediately began some light mods to bring that touring experience to my daily commuter that was otherwise, very naked and looked damn good. Make no mistake, I don't run the bags and windscreen all of the time, but for long rides, they're essential!

Current modifications:
-Sato Racing frame sliders
-CustomLED tail light
-MRA universal windscreen with adjustable splitter
-GIVI tank lock and flow formed tank bag (3D601)
-GIVI rear bag cage and soft bags (XS302)

Future modifications:
-+1 tooth drive shaft sprocket for optimized high speed cruising.
-Top Selerie seat
-Slip on exhaust (maybe, I'm not convinced I need this yet... the reduced noise is nice)
-Tune to accompany the exhaust, TBD. I haven't seen much information about the current solutions available, and working for an automotive engineering firm that specializes in engine tuning and performance modifications, I definitely need to do more digging before I pull the trigger on this one :)

To the mods:

The CustomLED tail light is super bright; I chose it mainly because the red LEDs turn off in the direction you indicate, and it flashes rapidly when you first get on the brakes. I think these options are available for the other popular taillight option, but when it came to purchase, this model was in stock and the other was backordered. Very happy with the CustomLED solution.

The MRA screen is great! Install was simple enough once I wrapped my head around how/where the supports would go. Tighten a few screws and I was off. I tested it with the diffuser down and up and it does make a difference--I'll mostly ride with the diffuser up to block wind and reduce ride fatigue. For reference, this windscreen directs the wind just above the collar bone and allows for a good breeze at highway speeds on the neck and head.

The GIVI bags hold up to their reputation. The saddlebag support frame required a bit of modifying under the tail, but overall it is a clean, sturdy fit and I'm pleased with it. I ended up with some of the larger, softer bags (XS302), though I prefer how simple the easy lock saddlebags (3D600) can be removed, but their smaller size and lack of availability put them out of the running. The tank bag is small, and simple. It's the perfect size for essentials and has a viewing window for a range of phones (it even fit my iphone5). Not much else to say really... it's a tank bag, lol!

Here are some photos to accompany. Looking forward to sharing info with you all.

View attachment 2490
View attachment 2491
View attachment 2492
View attachment 2493

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

I gotta say, for touring the most essential item you can ever have is a wind screen. It helps with fatigue a lot and helps block the bugs that are going to end up on your face shield. Riding through Pennsylvania and northern New York, had to clean of the bugs on my helmet and jacket while getting gas every time, which brings up another point. Don't wear a mesh jacket for touring, it's like a bug net and hard to clean off of bugs lol. The stock exhaust is so pleasing on a very long ride. You won't have that constant drone bothering you. The difference between stock and a slip on while touring is huge.

I need some saddle bags if I'm on a trip longer then three days. Right now I got a rapid transit 19 tank bag and a chase Harper cr2 tail bag. Those givi bags looks awesome.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
In the second pic I thought the tree was your bag. I was like, that's quite the bag... ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

TorontoAlex

Does the type of screen Evan has really make any difference? I can only imagine it throwing wind at my head and getting tossed around like a bobble head.

Evan

Of course it does! The breeze on your helmet is light and doesn't cause much turbulence yielding in the aptly named "bobble head" effect you're worried about ;)

I guess that wasn't clear in my initial write up?

rail

Does the type of screen Evan has really make any difference? I can only imagine it throwing wind at my head and getting tossed around like a bobble head.

It works. The only turbulence I get really is from other cars and trucks on the road.

Sweet setup Evan!

decooney

Evan,

Did you continue forward with your sport "touring" conversions?

I've started doing longer 250 mile plus all-day rides and overnight trips with a few friends on FZ8s and considering doing the +1 sprocket, windscreen, seat conversions. I'm wondering if it's worth it, or just moving up to a larger sport touring bike. I love the FZ8 for my less than 100 mile ride days. Over that, I'm looking at the same conversions you did. Do you still have your bike, still liking the conversions, or hankering for the bigger sport touring bike now?

Evan

Evan,

Did you continue forward with your sport "touring" conversions?

I've started doing longer 250 mile plus all-day rides and overnight trips with a few friends on FZ8s and considering doing the +1 sprocket, windscreen, seat conversions. I'm wondering if it's worth it, or just moving up to a larger sport touring bike. I love the FZ8 for my less than 100 mile ride days. Over that, I'm looking at the same conversions you did. Do you still have your bike, still liking the conversions, or hankering for the bigger sport touring bike now?

Hey decooney,

I still have the bike with all of the mods, though, for shorter trips around town I keep the bags and windscreen off. I've also purchased a +1 sprocket and a seat in the near future for longer rides, etc. etc... But I don't think I'll go the way of full touring bike, because I love how sporty/aggressive the bike can be with the touring gear off. It caters to my boy racer side AND my utilitarian side.

All-in-all I love the aesthetics and the smoothness of the ride the FZ-8 provides, and the accessories make it one hell of an all-around champ.

Ripemup

I have been debating what windscreen to pick up since even before I even purchased my bike and I still haven't decided..

I was looking at Twisted throttle for options and noticed they had several versions of the universal windscreen. Do you have the exact model so I can narrow it down? I'm a fairly tall guy so I need all the wind deflection I can get!!

Evan

I have been debating what windscreen to pick up since even before I even purchased my bike and I still haven't decided..

I was looking at Twisted throttle for options and noticed they had several versions of the universal windscreen. Do you have the exact model so I can narrow it down? I'm a fairly tall guy so I need all the wind deflection I can get!!

Hey Ripemup,

This is the one. MRA VarioTouringScreen (style "VTNB") universal windshield for naked sport bikes, cruisers, enduro, and dual sport motorcycles - TwistedThrottle.com

I just pulled the first link I found with the model--you may find it elsewhere for cheaper. FWIW I'm 6'1" and very pleased with the results. I think anything larger would look ridiculous on an FZ-8, but if deflection is your goal, I spotted these models on the same page:

MRA VarioScreen (style "VNB") universal windshield for naked sport bikes, cruisers, enduro, and dual sport motorcycles - TwistedThrottle.com

MRA Highwayshield (style "HI") universal windshield for naked sport bikes, cruisers, enduro, and dual sport motorcycles - TwistedThrottle.com

Last edited:

decooney

I wonder if the sprocket would get better fuel mileage.

I've been looking for old/new threads about "+1" front sprocket mods for more top end speed and lower rpms at cruising speed, etc. One forum member did try (+1 front) a few years ago and commented overall mileage gain and torque loss did not change noticeably. Seems most folks here on the FZ8 forum go the opposite direction looking for more torque instead so there are few threads on +1 front.

Stock is 16/46. I've been considering +1 front resulting in 17/46, or possibly going -3 rear for 16/43 to allow the rear wheel to set further back for a longer wheelbase length for higher speed handling - using the stock chain length. Not sure if I'm going to do either yet or not.

Evan

I've been looking for old/new threads about "+1" front sprocket mods for more top end speed and lower rpms at cruising speed, etc. One forum member did try (+1 front) a few years ago and commented overall mileage gain and torque loss did not change noticeably. Seems most folks here on the FZ8 forum go the opposite direction looking for more torque instead so there are few threads on +1 front.

Stock is 16/46. I've been considering +1 front resulting in 17/46, or possibly going -3 rear for 16/43 to allow the rear wheel to set further back for a longer wheelbase length for higher speed handling - using the stock chain length. Not sure if I'm going to do either yet or not.

Alright! I've put on the +1 front sprocket on the bike and I'm very pleased with the results. Here are the speeds I reached at their corresponding RPM in 6th gear:

4k: 59mph
5k: 71mph
6k: 84mph
7k: 97mph

I can't recall what speeds those RPM produced with the stock sprocket config. Would you guys mind posting up yours?

The bike is now very happy at 5500rpm: 78mph. Starting a 900mile ride tomorrow, so will post the fuel economy results that a few of you are interested in :)

Evan

Update: the speedometer now completely matches GPS tracked speed, and averaged 130-140 miles per tank on the highway cruising 85-90mph.

ebourn89

How is that windshield working for you? I've seen it online and often wonder if it how well it would work for a touring screen.

jmsandy77

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the forum, so I'm posting to introduce myself/my bike, and discuss the modifications I've added so far. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the specific parts listed below.

I come from a Ducati background (Monster 620 and 848), and I recently picked up a 2012 FZ8. Im a huge fan lf this bike--riding comfort (and power) was very important to me and this moto doesn't fail to impress in either regard.

In late May I spent two days in Ischgl Austria. My dad, also an enthusiastic rider, pointed us in the direction of the Highbike Test Center Paznaun. For €75 per person including gear (off-season special) I rented a Ducati multistrada 1198 and he a BMW R1200R and we took off into the curvy mountain roads of the Alps. What an incredible experience, and I highly recommend it to anybody looking to do riding in Europe!!!! Here's a link to their website Highbike Paznaun Motorrad Testcenter - highbike-paznaun.com - BMW

Upon our return I immediately began some light mods to bring that touring experience to my daily commuter that was otherwise, very naked and looked damn good. Make no mistake, I don't run the bags and windscreen all of the time, but for long rides, they're essential!

Current modifications:
-Sato Racing frame sliders
-CustomLED tail light
-MRA universal windscreen with adjustable splitter
-GIVI tank lock and flow formed tank bag (3D601)
-GIVI rear bag cage and soft bags (XS302)

Future modifications:
-+1 tooth drive shaft sprocket for optimized high speed cruising.
-Top Selerie seat
-Slip on exhaust (maybe, I'm not convinced I need this yet... the reduced noise is nice)
-Tune to accompany the exhaust, TBD. I haven't seen much information about the current solutions available, and working for an automotive engineering firm that specializes in engine tuning and performance modifications, I definitely need to do more digging before I pull the trigger on this one :)

To the mods:

The CustomLED tail light is super bright; I chose it mainly because the red LEDs turn off in the direction you indicate, and it flashes rapidly when you first get on the brakes. I think these options are available for the other popular taillight option, but when it came to purchase, this model was in stock and the other was backordered. Very happy with the CustomLED solution.

The MRA screen is great! Install was simple enough once I wrapped my head around how/where the supports would go. Tighten a few screws and I was off. I tested it with the diffuser down and up and it does make a difference--I'll mostly ride with the diffuser up to block wind and reduce ride fatigue. For reference, this windscreen directs the wind just above the collar bone and allows for a good breeze at highway speeds on the neck and head.

The GIVI bags hold up to their reputation. The saddlebag support frame required a bit of modifying under the tail, but overall it is a clean, sturdy fit and I'm pleased with it. I ended up with some of the larger, softer bags (XS302), though I prefer how simple the easy lock saddlebags (3D600) can be removed, but their smaller size and lack of availability put them out of the running. The tank bag is small, and simple. It's the perfect size for essentials and has a viewing window for a range of phones (it even fit my iphone5). Not much else to say really... it's a tank bag, lol!

Here are some photos to accompany. Looking forward to sharing info with you all.

View attachment 2490
View attachment 2491
View attachment 2492
View attachment 2493

What's the exact model # for the windscreen? What's the model number for the mounting bracket needed for the Givi Bags? I want them both LOL!