Tough to downshift

petemass

Hi all

I just picked up my FZ8 friday and I LOVE IT! I've owned all kinds of bikes but this one just makes me laugh and want to tear up the asphalt....

Anyway, I do have one issue

My bike is very tough to downshift. For example: I'm riding in top gear and approaching a stop, and I clutch and brake before downshifting. If i then try to rapidly downshift to 1st gear i get quite a bit of resistance as it drops into each gear. If I wait till I'm stopped before shifting I have to let the clutch out a bit to downshift or it won't shift at all

I only have 100 miles on it so far and figure I can put a few hundred more on to see if it gets easier but I'm wondering if this is a common issue

Any Ideas

H

Hoover

I dont have that problem, I always blip on down shifts, it makes for a much smoother transition when you let out the clutch.
Sounds like pehaps your clutch needs adjusting a little, it may not be engaging fully.

Hereward

New gearbox coupled with thick gloopy run in oil......should losen up with some miles on it. Be aware of the light crank in the FZ8, it's 30%+ lighter than that of the FZ1 and can cause some gear change weirdness till you get used to it.

hypo

I know that I leave my girl in gear overnight, and as I rock her backwards to get out of the garage its sticky and sometimes I need to slightly engage and release and engage the clutch while rolling (engine running or not) to let the clutch "see" that it can release and allow me to switch gears. when I come to a stop sign/red light I usually slow down with downshifts as well as brakes so its not a hobby horse show when I get to the line. :)

mano1192

also thwap the trottle upon downshift, you will match RPM's and not have a huge inirtia pull on your body. Also squeze your knees upon braking, helps keep your body in the right position. Agree with Hewerd, more mile and it smooths out.

Speedo007

I have over 12000km on the bike this season and I've had smoother transmissions (Honda, Triumph, Kawasaki). I think it's just how it is. I do feel it's much smoother then when it was new, but timing in giving throttle to match rpm of lower gear is maybe more critical on this bike then most Ive ridden..and I've ridden quite a few... Just like the clunk we've all been talking about when we go from neutral to 1st gear, it gets better with time, but is never butter smooth like Honda transmissions for example...

Hereward

1st gear "clunk" yeah thats fun LOL worst I've seen with that though is the 600 bandits, sonds and feels like you've hit the bike with a sledge hammer LOL That light crank is the culprit, especialy on down shifts, I allways blip the throtle on the downshift to smooth it out. The cranks inertia usualy smooths gear transitions out on bikes, but with a lightend crank you have to componsate with matching the rpms and smoother clutch, comes naturaly after a while. On the whole the gearbox is good, solid gear changes and no false neutrals hideing in there, just change it like you mean it LOL

hypo

yeah, nothing like having a teenager on the back wanting a joyride always clunking his helmet into yours because he can't anticipate the change of speed... :) I VERY QUICKLY learned how smooth I could get with the downshift and the rpm blip.

quick blip of the throttle is a must i didnt notice it nearly as much until my g.f got on the back

petemass

Update

After 350 miles of mostly back road driving my shifter has smoothed out quite a lot. Still a bit tougher than many bikes but definitely not a problem :)

Pete

G Chase

Pillion
Mine has the same hard down-shift thing going on. Almost feels like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way or enough. Dealer says is normal and all is ok but I feel it has to be rough on the shift forks, etc. If the revs are up and I'm really moving it seems ok. Another 'nature of the beast' and "get use to it" kind of thing.

Crazywb23

Hi all

I just picked up my FZ8 friday and I LOVE IT! I've owned all kinds of bikes but this one just makes me laugh and want to tear up the asphalt....

Anyway, I do have one issue

My bike is very tough to downshift. For example: I'm riding in top gear and approaching a stop, and I clutch and brake before downshifting. If i then try to rapidly downshift to 1st gear i get quite a bit of resistance as it drops into each gear. If I wait till I'm stopped before shifting I have to let the clutch out a bit to downshift or it won't shift at all

I only have 100 miles on it so far and figure I can put a few hundred more on to see if it gets easier but I'm wondering if this is a common issue

Any Ideas

The break in on our bike is about 250-500 miles, first service @ 600 miles. Until then go easy on it and that will go away.... Have fun out there and stay safe!!

Künstler

[lang=de]I had the same issue after a small..(..:)fall down to the left side.(A stupid taxi driver kick me from the right when I was waiting on red light..:(...
Foot clutch was a bit twisted.But I didnt have first that problem with the gear.I let to changed that part with the new,and of course they changed the setting.Now especially before stopping,I must two times or push the clutch more harder with my foot!.My friends told me it needs only udjust clutch wire.Hope so..:)

Wish you all a happy weekend..[/lang]

Künstler

[lang=de]I forgot to post...

Same time changing the clutch pedal,also motor oil changed!...Old oil was the one which was delivered with the brand new bike.Yamaha told me,that they used now this Yamalub...!..I dont know if it depends hard downshift with this new oil sort..?Before I didnt have till 1100 km...[/lang]

Crazywb23

[lang=de]I forgot to post...

Same time changing the clutch pedal,also motor oil changed!...Old oil was the one which was delivered with the brand new bike.Yamaha told me,that they used now this Yamalub...!..I dont know if it depends hard downshift with this new oil sort..?Before I didnt have till 1100 km...[/lang]

The clutch system in most all of I-4 motors is a wet clutch system. The clutch plates are lubricated by the same oil used to lube the engine components. The type of oil is very important, good viscosity, and for HI REVVING engines. Do not put the same oil you would put in your car. Yamalube is good. The oil they put in them for break in is a different type of oil, really goopy I think. I got yamalube in my bike now, it shifts good but not great I can live with it for now. Next service going to full synthetic, Royal Purple. Its expensive but will be worth it.

Last edited:

Künstler

[lang=de]Creazy,thank you for the information.:)
No ,I never used car or cheap oils also for my former bikes.I know that bikes needs really good oil.Another example,I have a second bike(R1150rt- BMW),and that one must be filled with Castrol power1 racing 10-50,or similars,because of the oil cooling.(I had still cooling problem in summer traffic in Istanbul,so I ride with it only long distance..)..And its expensive.My brother has an old zzr600,and we use again best oil.But now this new beauty FZ8 must be filled in service for the guaranty,and they use only yamalube..:(...

I wish you all a nice,sunny week...

Celal[/lang]

specops13

Mine downshifts hard too. only got 225 miles on it though. I rode an 05, FZ1, basically the same tranny and at 10,000 miles it felt very similar...

Dave

Cognitive CHAOS

Service manuals

The FZ8 is my very first motorcycle I've ever owned. It's already put me 9k in debt, so I gotta be tight with mah money. Does anyone know where I can find a cheap/free service manual for my bike? Because 80 bucks is a bit steep for me. :p

kbrink

The FZ8 is my very first motorcycle I've ever owned. It's already put me 9k in debt, so I gotta be tight with mah money. Does anyone know where I can find a cheap/free service manual for my bike? Because 80 bucks is a bit steep for me. :p

I don't know about free, but check out the link below, for a $6 CD copy on ebay. ;)
Yamaha FZ8 FZ-8 Service Manual CD | eBay