Touching up scratches!

Glovik

I have done the unthinkable. Last night (technically this morning lol) at 1am the weather was steady around 52 degrees and any chance of rain was gone for a while so I decided to go for a zip around town. I pull the bike out and I throw the kickstand down to go to my car to hit the garage button, and the kickstand wasn't fully locked out due to the small incline of the driveway! Excited to hit the road, I lean the bike and notice I'm screwed.

It was like laying down your dying bride. Slowly and oh so gently, screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Funny enough I have frame sliders ordered... Just not here yet.

Long story short, I my driveway gave it 2 baby scratches. One right under the yamaha symbol on the left side, just under the point that sticks out the farthest. You can't really see it unless you look hard for it. Second one is just a little on the side of the radiator.

My friend just said to head to the dealership on Monday and buy some touch up paint, but that I should be worried about rust.

Has anyone been unfortunate like myself and given their babies a scratch? Also, I'm clueless when it comes to rust so please fill me in if I can expect a rotting bike in a week :((((

lyric911

I have done the unthinkable. Last night (technically this morning lol) at 1am the weather was steady around 52 degrees and any chance of rain was gone for a while so I decided to go for a zip around town. I pull the bike out and I throw the kickstand down to go to my car to hit the garage button, and the kickstand wasn't fully locked out due to the small incline of the driveway! Excited to hit the road, I lean the bike and notice I'm screwed.

It was like laying down your dying bride. Slowly and oh so gently, screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!! WHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Funny enough I have frame sliders ordered... Just not here yet.

Long story short, I my driveway gave it 2 baby scratches. One right under the yamaha symbol on the left side, just under the point that sticks out the farthest. You can't really see it unless you look hard for it. Second one is just a little on the side of the radiator.

My friend just said to head to the dealership on Monday and buy some touch up paint, but that I should be worried about rust.

Has anyone been unfortunate like myself and given their babies a scratch? Also, I'm clueless when it comes to rust so please fill me in if I can expect a rotting bike in a week :((((

First off - sorry about the drop. That sucks.

As for rust - nearly nothing will happen in a week. Smear some Vaseline on the scratches to temporarily keep air and water off them them if you're really worried.

H

Hoover

Unless you have bare steel showing, you will not see any rusting.
Most of the exposed metal on the 8 is alluminium and a small scratch is not going to give you any issues.

I would not spend any extra on Yamaha touch up paint either.

Most auto parts stores will sell you a cheapo tube of touch up that you will never notice. Assuming that this ding is as small as you say it is.

If its a biggie, claim on your insurance :D

JRider

Pulled up to a gas pump last week [level ground] and had the same thing happen. Slowly she slid down the inside of my leg when the stand folded back up. Used a box-end wrench to slightly tweek the clutch and gear shifter and semi-gloss sprayed in the lid and applied with a brush on the bar end. Nice to see the bike somewhat protected in stock trim just trying to rebuild trust in kickstand.

Rgraphic

My stand went back up on me as well at a bike night last season and crushed my hand between the bike next to me and my bar end. Had to get x-rays and had bruising and swelling for weeks but no damage to the bikes :)