Tire Pressures

H

Hoover

Curious if anyone has experimented with tire pressures on the stock tires.
During the cooler months here, I always drop mine. The bike seems to slide around less on the cold concrete with lower pressures.
We have a lot of concrete roads in Wisconsin, and they seem to like the lower pressures. The blacktop sections don't seem to react too differently untill it gets warm for longer periods.
Right now, I am running 32 rear, 30 front and on the cooler morning rides to work, the bike feels much more planted than it does when I am up in the 38-40 range.

D

Deleted member 438

I've always heard a couple of psi lower gets you more traction.

Jordan

The recommended tyre pressure is always a compromise between grip, fuel economy, and the life of the tyre. I always thought a couple of PSI lower felt better, but it probably reduces the overall life of the tire and uses more fuel.

specops13

I run the front at the recommended pressure, the rear a couple pounds lower. This has seemed to extend the rear tire life as most of my riding is highway. I figure the front tire lasts long enough... My experience over 37 bikes..

Dave

mckshred

I have the stock front tire (7500 miles) and a Battlax bt-016 (7200 miles) on the rear. They've been okay tires, but I don't have anything to compare to. I don't do much rain riding due to the fact that it doesn't rain much.:D I am replacing them on Wednesday with the Pilot Power 3's....Can't wait!!

OEM is 36/42, which I will run on rides longer than 100 miles. Most of the time I run 32/35 based on what my Total Control Instructor advised.

At the track, most guys recommend 32/30 and I was advised to drop the rear to 28 on the Bridgestones. The front was a little washy, but I came home safely. Who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows?!