timing cover question

Ryandi2

hey guys!

last night i was messing around with the 8.. i was going to pull the timing cover off the bike and replace/sand and paint it due to my accedent in may.. this was the last piece i needed to repair before bike was 100 percent.. i pulled the cover out and was not expecting the (what i think is the flywheel) and gears for it to come out with the cover.. i did not remove the 3 small torx bolts from the cover.
so my question to you guys is this. is there any specal why everything is suppose to go back together? do i have to worry about timing? i think its just the altinatior under the flywheel but i want to be sure. and there are oil passage hole in the shaft and spacer (spacer is suppose to sit flush with the washer?) i am guessing they do not need to be lined up.. because they rotate. but i wantto be sure..

thanks guys

9 Lives

hey guys!

last night i was messing around with the 8.. i was going to pull the timing cover off the bike and replace/sand and paint it due to my accedent in may.. this was the last piece i needed to repair before bike was 100 percent.. i pulled the cover out and was not expecting the (what i think is the flywheel) and gears for it to come out with the cover.. i did not remove the 3 small torx bolts from the cover.
so my question to you guys is this. is there any specal why everything is suppose to go back together? do i have to worry about timing? i think its just the altinatior under the flywheel but i want to be sure. and there are oil passage hole in the shaft and spacer (spacer is suppose to sit flush with the washer?) i am guessing they do not need to be lined up.. because they rotate. but i wantto be sure..

thanks guys

Sounds like you took the alternator cover off. The stator is bolted to the cover. Use the shop manual to put it back together, you need to hold the rotor in place using a pin or screwdriver or the magnetic force will pull it out of place when installing the cover. If you buy a couple of long bolts the same size as the cover bolts and cut the heads off you can use them as guide pins which will make the job a bit easier. There is nothing to "time" under this cover.

Last edited:

Ryandi2

Sounds like you took the alternator cover off. The stator is bolted to the cover. Use the shop manual to put it back together, you need to hold the rotor in place using a pin or screwdriver or the magnetic force will pull it out of place when installing the cover. If you buy a couple of long bolts the same size as the cover bolts and cut the heads off you can use them as guide pins which will make the job a bit easier. There is nothing to "time" under this cover.

i got it all back together fine and covers back on but i just wanted to make sure everything was good.. i do not have a shop manual.. probably should get one..

thanks