Tidy Tail Installation - help with wiring

Vhutchinson

Hey guys,

I am not mechanical in the slightest and am having issues with the wiring portion of the install. I am installing a tail tidy with led signals. I have disconnected the stock signals and now am trying to figure out how exactly I connect the electrical on the bike to the new led lights. The first picture below is the piece that I disconnected the old light from and the picture below that is of the two metal ends on the new led signal light. how do I go about wiring the two together ? I am quite certain I must sound a bit "slow" to most of you based on how skilled many of you are and I have already learned alot from reading your posts so I appreciate your help greatly ! Thanks boys View attachment 3310View attachment 3311

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk

MotoZen

The first thing that you have to do is decide how you want to connect the wires. You have a few options:
1) cut the connector off of the stock harness and replace it with a pair of female bullet connectors.
2) cut the connector off of both the stock harness and your new signals and use butt connectors.
3) cut the bullet ends off of your new signals and use splice connectors.
4) cut the stock connector off of your oem signals and use butt connectors or female bullet connectors to join your stock harness to your new signals.
I suggest using bought connectors because I'm assuming that soldering isn't something that you would be comfortable doing?
If someone can look up the wiring diagram, they can tell you which wires to connect. One is + and one is -. The black is most likely - and the yellow + on the new signals. You can also do trial and error. Connect the two wires and turn on your turn signal. If nothing happens, swap them.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

MotoZen

I just looked it up, the rear right turn signal should be a green wire for positive, the rear left signal has a red (maybe Brown?) wire for positive. Both sides have black for ground. So basically, black to black, yellow to whatever the other wire is.

Vhutchinson

Thanks alot MotoZen . I had a feeling that I had to cut the connectors but was a little nervous and wanted to check with you first . Appreciate the help !

MotoZen

No problem. I also probably should have mentioned that if you really want to spend the money, you can order the stock signal connectors online with tails. It's sort of a waste of money in my opinion though. And you'd still have to buy some female bullet connectors.

thach1130

If you're afraid of cutting into the stock wiring you could buy the 'Y' wiring splitter from motodynamic. That way you can cut up the splitter harness. Also with the y harness you can run both motodynamic integrated signal and separate external turn signal

Vhutchinson

No problem. I also probably should have mentioned that if you really want to spend the money, you can order the stock signal connectors online with tails. It's sort of a waste of money in my opinion though. And you'd still have to buy some female bullet connectors.

Thanks again. I actually just bought a small solder kit and used the stock harnesses and it went really smoothly . I appreciate he help !