Thoughts issues on the 2012?

Wolf

I'm going to go look at a 2012 FZ8 next weekend, and was wondering if there's anything year/model specific I should be looking for?

I've read that the 2013 has a different exhaust and adjustable forks; are there any other changes?

Any known problems?

Woody146

Banned
It's budget semi adjustable suspension on the 13....rear arm link failure...well..no one knows what's causing that yet....could happen to all 3 years....if you can get the 12 for a steal...get it...then buy suspension and a slip on for the money you saved

Wolf

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-gene...-arm-failures-please-read.html?highlight=bent

This is the only one I know of, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to which bikes are affected and which ones are not. I have 12k miles on my 2011...lots of track days..lots of two-up rides, my links still look good!

excellent. Will check for bending.

Although, is this a serious issue if the bending is caught before failure? Seems it would be an easy thing to just replace the mounts.

Last edited:

randyka

yah, shouldn't be too difficult to replace and is easily caught before a total failure occurs; but something like this shouldn't happen at all in the first place.

Ryandi2

I love my 2012.. i have 6900 miles on it and never skips a beat... its battled a guard rail and still solid.. and my links are fine btw

Woody146

Banned
excellent. Will check for bending.

Although, is this a serious issue if the bending is caught before failure? Seems it would be an easy thing to just replace the mounts.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the verrrrrrrry few it's happened to if not the only one...

Wolf

Considering the only bike I've ridden in the past 8 years was a 125cc at the MSF course a couple weeks ago, this thing has SCARY power. :eek:

FZ8Panda

Considering the only bike I've ridden in the past 8 years was a 125cc at the MSF course a couple weeks ago, this thing has SCARY power. :eek:

Congrats on the new bike! That's exactly how I felt when I upgraded from a Ninja 250 to the FZ8. You will soon get used to the power though and may even yearn for moaarrrrrr later. lol. Love my FZ8, it's a fantastic bike. Mine has been trouble free thus far. Just shy of 6K miles on the odometer. :tup:

Wolf

Congrats on the new bike! That's exactly how I felt when I upgraded from a Ninja 250 to the FZ8. You will soon get used to the power though and may even yearn for moaarrrrrr later. lol. Love my FZ8, it's a fantastic bike. :tup:

Whew. Glad it's not just me. :cool:

MotoZen

It's not just you. I can from an old cb750 and thought, "how much faster can it really be? They both have almost the same size motor." I almost didn't buy mine because it scared the hell out of me when I test rode it. I went back later and did another test ride and am really glad I did. I love my bike and as long as you learn to respect it and don't ride above your skill level, you should be okay. It's a surprisingly easy bike to ride, imo.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Blindy2001

On my 2012 at about 6000 miles I had my shift linkage bust. Looks like a design flaw where it connects to the tranny, held in with two crappy spot welds. However Motorsports nation in Waterford ct fixed it under warranty with no questions asked.

lance2448

Congrats on the new bike!

10k miles of Phoenix summer and traffic, and mine has had no issues (that I didn't cause :rolleyes: ).

Wolf

After a couple jaunts around the area (don't want to go too far, as I don't have a license plate yet), it seems more manageable. Just had to get used to the clutch.

Also it seems to be screaming by 4k RPM, but shifting only drops the revs by about 500 or so.

Already ordered a fender eliminator. After I get plates (and pay sales tax :( ), it's time for a new helmet, shoes, and a Givi engine cage.

Last edited:

Tix

...it seems to be screaming by 4k RPM....

I found the 8 shifts a hell of a lot better above 4K RPM for every gear.
I've seen the RPMs dip, but never to 500 range. IMO, it seems like you might be shifting too fast while in a lower gear.

Also, if you thought she opens up at 4K, Just Wait till you go over 7k. ;)