The metric system

sinclap2

Lazy
This is a nerdy thread, but the question about the Fuel thread sparked this.

I was taught the metric system in school and really don't know anything else, unless your parents or grandparents would use the imperial measurements and then you picked stuff up along the way.

I was wondering do they teach the metric system in the US, UK, Canada, etc?

To me the metric system is very logical and has a base of 10, which also makes things very simple.
eg
1 kilometre = 1,000 metres = 100,000 centimetres = 1,000,000 millimetres

So: 45.87 km = 45,870m = 4,587,000cm = 45,870,000mm

where
1 mile = 1,760 yards = 5,280 feet = 63,360 inches

45.87 miles = 80,731.2 yards = 242,193.6 feet = 2,906,323.2 inches
That just seems too complicated to me!

The whole methodology is also applied to Volumes, Mass, etc. The cool thing too is that 1 litre of water (pure) = 1 kilogram!

Yeah, nerdy. I know.

Edit: It took Australia 18 years to fully convert to the metric system (1970-1988), so Wikipedia says!

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Atleast when I was in school(which wasn't too long ago) they had but, not primarily. It was almost a side-note, the states are predominantly imperial so why bother I guess? I do like the simplicity of the metric system though.

thach1130

I do not understand why the states do not adopt the metric system either. The imperial system is outdated and illogical. I hate it the most when working with wrenches, bolt, pipe, screws, etc. Jeeze, 3/8, 1/2, 1/4, 5/8, 9/16. It's so confusing. Makes it really hard to measure the above items too. It's easy with metric system since 1mm increment is very small so you can easily put a number on a measurement. When dealing with fraction it's hard to determine if i should cut it at 3/8, 1/2, or 5/8

W

WARPTH

The imperial system was put together by clowns as a laugh but the idiots took it on board and its stuck. Glad im in aus!!!!!

chodatus

In Canada we learn metric, only fractions we learn is in algebra:D Although it is to your advantage if you are familiar with imperial since we are neighboring those crazy Americans

F

Fazed

I lived in pommy land until 1990. When I was at school there I remember being taught both systems and thinking who was the crazy idiot who thought up the imperial system. Probably some drunk in a bar.

So Canadian vehicles are in km/h? For some reason I thought you guys were imperial.

Do they have square wheels? Sorry for that last one, I have been watching way too much South Park lately.

Last edited by a moderator:

rail

I read somewhere that an imperial gallon was originally based on the volume of 10 pounds of water... that almost makes sense. The US gallon is 0.83 imperial gallon. :bs2:

I drove into Canuckland a couple times in an old car that only displayed MPH on the analog speedo. Fun times :D

Guillaume

This is a nerdy thread, but the question about the Fuel thread sp....
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
.... Australia 18 years to fully convert to the metric system (1970-1988), so Wikipedia says!

V

Vapordan

I learned both not by choice but because I was in school when my home country began the switch. Later in America, this wise old math professor intimated that the reason why the US failed with their metric conversion was...wait...wait for it......the house wife. Stay at home moms absolutely refused to use it or learn it and the whole thing fell apart because of that push back. Take from that what you will. :D

F

Fazed

I learned both not by choice but because I was in school when my home country began the switch. Later in America, this wise old math professor intimated that the reason why the US failed with their metric conversion was...wait...wait for it......the house wife. Stay at home moms absolutely refused to use it or learn it and the whole thing fell apart because of that push back. Take from that what you will. :D

That the US president is powerless against the secret society of house wives? I sense a Michael Moore documentry coming.

sinclap2

Lazy

I had noticed that America has had a few false starts implementing the metric system.

This is all now reminding my of story my Dad told me when they implemented day light saving in our state. This is an example of a classic gem in protest "Our carpets and curtains will fade with the extra hour of daylight" :disapprove: "Stupid is as stupid does, sir."

Last edited:

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
What the hell is the imperial system?;)

I asked a friend of mine in China and he said it's a system where capitalist running dogs suppress the proletariat for greedy gain and power, by stealing the land of the peasants and invading the democratic people's republics.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
This is a nerdy thread, but the question about the Fuel thread sparked this.

I was taught the metric system in school and really don't know anything else, unless your parents or grandparents would use the imperial measurements and then you picked stuff up along the way.

I was wondering do they teach the metric system in the US, UK, Canada, etc?

Blah blah blah, didn't read the rest.

Easy metric system is for the weak. :usa: