The Infernal 5k-6k buzz.....solution!

Hereward

We all have it, you get the bike between 5,000rpm and 6,000rpm (about 75mph in 6th) and that buzz starts......all you know is it's coming from the dash headlight area and it's more anoying than rain clouds on a sunday morning! Well ok some haven't had this issue ...........yet! but you no doubt will as things start to losen up as the bike gets older. First up this isn't the rattle that some get around 3k......that one just requires a bit of a rubber gromet between the top of the display and the cowl above it.......that ones quite rare anyway.
So how to fix it? well, some have already posted how to do this but I thought I'd put a seperate thread in so it's easy to find. Take a look at the pic below......yeah, it's those 2 bits of plastic whic make all the din! simply rev and hold the revs to you here the buzz, then press on those bits of plastic......buzz gone! But unless you fancy riding whilst hanging over the front holding them may I sugest some sticky rubber pads under them :)

Jwood9

Advice

Who has fixed this successfully and what did you use? Im going to either lowes or the depot and I'm wandering what i should get.

Also the vibration is from in-between the two pieces of plastic right?

Thanks

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Who has fixed this successfully and what did you use? Im going to either lowes or the depot and I'm wandering what i should get.

Also the vibration is from in-between the two pieces of plastic right?

Thanks

On my bike there is more than one layer of plastic there. But I don't get any buzzing, so never mind!:tard:

Paralgin

Avid Rider
Hey, im just wondering if this buzzing sound can be compared to a "howling-sound" i get. Its hard to describe it.
Im not really sure on what rpm it starts and in what gear.

rajdR

I told it in the old thread.
Take away those to plastics on the side of the headlight and look for loose screws, all 4 of mine were loose, one even came off for itself!

Rgraphic

The rattle that drives me crazy if from that plastic piece above the air box, over the front part of the fuel tank. If i rest my hand on it when riding it goes away. As for the headlight rattle, i had that too but it was that i hadn't reinstalled it perfectly.

bauers007

Hey, im just wondering if this buzzing sound can be compared to a "howling-sound" i get. Its hard to describe it.
Im not really sure on what rpm it starts and in what gear.

I have this same "howl". It's not quite a howl but not quite a buzz either. It's almost random of when it happens but it happens every time I'm out. Anyone have luck in pinning down what this is? I'll post if I figure it out.

Larry P

The only buzzing I've had is from the top headlight cowl. Take off the 2 bolts and ride it around to see if you still hear it. If you don't, get some closed pore weather stripping ($4 from your local hardware store) and put it just on the thin strips of the cowl and it should clear it up.

bauers007

The only buzzing I've had is from the top headlight cowl. Take off the 2 bolts and ride it around to see if you still hear it. If you don't, get some closed pore weather stripping ($4 from your local hardware store) and put it just on the thin strips of the cowl and it should clear it up.

Thanks, I'll try this and do some troubleshooting this weekend.

Simikin

hi all,
all I did to get rid of the vibration/buzz was loosen the two screws and then push down on the top of the upper headlight fairing while retightening them. I haven't heard it since. And just to be clear, I am talking about the naked model.