That Throttle Tube/Switch Gap with the Washer Inside

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Can anyone help me confirm that their OEM right hand controls looks something like....[switches] [10mm gap][free hanging washer][grip] which mates perfectly with the bar end?

After you confirm that, can you tell me why it's such a big gap? I understand that they want to keep the grip from catching, binding or sticking to the switch housing but the backup washer that is just free floating there annoys the heck out of me. Anyone have any luck tightening all that jazz up? I assume you can't move the switches since they have a nipple that locks them into that position on the bar.

Other bikes have throttle tubes (or grips?) that sit up flush against the switch housing.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
definitely cannot confirm the 10mm gap. sorry. I can try to get you a pic today if it helps. also i assume that the fazers vary slightly potentially. and maybe they vary on a global scale. but here in california, no gap

David3

My 8 has the same gap (maybe more 5mm than 10mm but still too much). Asked the dealer why it's so wide apart, he said it's just that the grip doesn't catch, not more and not less. I asked him to reduce it a bit but he couldn't do much. Since it's for safety I just leave it alone as it is...

MikeC

Weekend Rider
definitely cannot confirm the 10mm gap. sorry. I can try to get you a pic today if it helps. also i assume that the fazers vary slightly potentially. and maybe they vary on a global scale. but here in california, no gap

Thanks for the responses guys!

That's funny because I'm in California too. Let's see if I can't close up that gap. ;)

MikeC

Weekend Rider
My 8 has the same gap (maybe more 5mm than 10mm but still too much). Asked the dealer why it's so wide apart, he said it's just that the grip doesn't catch, not more and not less. I asked him to reduce it a bit but he couldn't do much. Since it's for safety I just leave it alone as it is...

Definitely. But the other thing I was noticing was a bit of left right throttle tube play. I'm guessing that's fairly common as well.