Tank bag help

pajkrubi

I'm shopping for a nice tank bag for my bike. I don't need anything huge but enough to carry some stuff for an afternoon ride and my main concern is I need something that I can fit my spare shield in so if I'm riding into the night I can pop my clear shield on. I have an HJC CL-16 helmet so it's pretty much your standard size full face helmet shield.

From my searching I have kinda narrowed it down to three bags but I welcome any suggestions. I would have preferred to have found one with the clear faced cell phone holder but the ones that had that feature somehow had something else wrong that ruled them out. The three that I selected do however all have the clear map compartment so I guess I could throw it in there and it would be very nice to have a compartment for a map as I plan on getting out for much longer rides this year.

Anyways here's the three I have found that I like. I really like the cortechs but they're very pricey. They seem to be very high quality though and get rave reviews so it's a get what you pay for thing with them I'm guessing. The two cortechs are the same just different sizes. I'm not sure the 8 liter will be big enough but I also don't want a steamer trunk mounted on my tank. Does anybody have pics of an 8 or 12 liter bag on an 8? I think seeing it on OUR bike would make a world of difference. The Nelson-rigg seems like a nice bag too and gets very good reviews for a much lower price. The Neslon-rigg piece I have listed is an 11 liter bag.

Here they are.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Super-8-Liter-Magnetic-Mount/dp/B008RAATI8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391050711&sr=8-3&keywords=cortech+tank+bag"]Amazon.com: Cortech Super 2.0 8-Liter Magnetic Mount Tank Bag: Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Super-12-Liter-Magnetic-Mount/dp/B008RAASGG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1391050711&sr=8-6&keywords=cortech+tank+bag"]Cortech Super 2.0 12-Liter Magnetic Mount Tank Bag : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-CL-1025-MG-Black-Magnetic-Mount/dp/B00AC6Y8E6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391050816&sr=8-1&keywords=nelson-rigg+tank+bag"]Nelson-Rigg (CL-1025-MG) Black Magnetic Mount Sport Tank Bag : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Thank you for any advice you can give or any other suggestions. I have narrowed it down though to wanting a tank bag and a magnetic one at that.

Last edited:

pajkrubi

Yeah the price is hard to argue with unless it's just junk. It's got good reviews though. For the difference I could just about get my T-rex frame sliders too which would be really nice.

MotoZen

I have a Nelson-Rigg bag with the magnetic straps. I love the bag, but keep in mind that the piece on the front of the tank is plastic and the frame is aluminum. The magnets only work if you tighten them up all the way. Also, I've been told the the magnets can pick up small metal fragments that are hard to clean off and can scratch your tank.

I switched to the permanent straps and they work great one they break in and are a little easier to remove when filling up.

Only other minor complaint from me is that it has a separate cover for the rain. I'd love to not have to carry that.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

pajkrubi

Well after a bunch of people replied to my question I left on amazon it's definitely down to the two bigger bags. Everybody has come back with a definite no as far as if a full face shield will fit in the 8 liter bag. I REALLY like the cortech but it would be nice to have the little bit left over to go towards something else if I got the Nelson Rigg.

pajkrubi

I already have a nice soft pouch for the extra shield to go in to keep it from getting scratched or damaged. I was looking more for a tank bag to carry extras like warmer shirts during the spring and fall when the weather fluctuates a lot, a bottle of water and some other stuff along with my spare shield in it's pouch.

I decided on and ordered the 12L cortech. I know it was a lot more but after watching videos and looking at every picture I could find it just seemed to have more pockets and storage options and seemed like it was a lot higher quality. I guess I'll see. I also ordered my motodynamic tail light last night too!! I can't wait to get them in and put them on the bike and make a homemade fender eliminator.

Thank you everybody for your advice and help in this.

DSmith

I already have a nice soft pouch for the extra shield to go in to keep it from getting scratched or damaged. I was looking more for a tank bag to carry extras like warmer shirts during the spring and fall when the weather fluctuates a lot, a bottle of water and some other stuff along with my spare shield in it's pouch.

I decided on and ordered the 12L cortech. I know it was a lot more but after watching videos and looking at every picture I could find it just seemed to have more pockets and storage options and seemed like it was a lot higher quality. I guess I'll see. I also ordered my motodynamic tail light last night too!! I can't wait to get them in and put them on the bike and make a homemade fender eliminator.

Thank you everybody for your advice and help in this.

Youll love the cortech. I use it on my bike everyday.

pajkrubi

Yeah my bike is more of a work commuter than a play toy so I'll be using it every day myself. I haven't seen a bad review on a cortech product yet so I feel like I made the right call. They seem to be the cadillac of bags. I really like their tail and saddle bags for a weekend trip too. Those will be something a lot further down the road though.