taking care of your chain

cpatt

well my fz8 is the first bike ive owned with a chain. my last bike was a buell and there belt driven.

so im just wondering what every one does to there chain ive put 2500 miles on my bike and haven't done a thing and i assume i should.

Ronzo

well my fz8 is the first bike ive owned with a chain. my last bike was a buell and there belt driven.

so im just wondering what every one does to there chain ive put 2500 miles on my bike and haven't done a thing and i assume i should.

I've fitted an eSystem Scottoiler :D

Ronzo

I've fitted an eSystem Scottoiler :D

Oops sorry for the double up

Wieb27

Get some Maxima Chain Wax. Don't waste your time with oil. This stuff doesn't fling off like an oil would. Oil frequently. Maintain proper chain adjustment. To clean soak in Kerosene and scrub with a brush.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Get some Maxima Chain Wax. Don't waste your time with oil. This stuff doesn't fling off like an oil would. Oil frequently. Maintain proper chain adjustment. To clean soak in Kerosene and scrub with a brush.

Don't waste you time with oil..........oil frequently?

JRider

Used Dupont chain saver at least every 500 miles on original chain, had to replace it @10,000 because of so many NOISY very stiff links. Trusted bicycle mechanic suggested the solvent for the wax based lubes may wash the grease away. Trying MOTUL Road on this chain. Rollers should have something against the sprocket.

Paralgin

Avid Rider
I have learned that the rollers on the chain shouldnt be shiny or polish looking, so i lube/oil my chain when they are starting to shine.

DLSGAP

I do mine every 500 miles or when its ridden in the rain, whichever comes first.

I clean with simple green and a grudge brush, then hose off, then wd40 to get water out of the links. Once it dries, I go on a 5 minute ride to warm the chain up, then I spray the chain lube on. The heat helps it penetrate. Be sure to let it dry completely before riding.

As for which brand to use, I've used plenty over the past 24 years of chain driven bikes. Maxima chain wax, pj1 black label, belray super clean, and just plain ol wd40 have been my go to items.

Oh and I've used the Dupont Teflon spray successfully for 15k on a stock chain with plenty of track days on it. No issues with wear or stretching.

Last edited: