swingarm play??????

popeye

Howdo! Been looking at the bike after seeing the suspension issue. just wondering my swingarm has moved side to side up and down a little when up on the main stand from new
Anyone no how much play there should be?
Looking around there is ment to be some play but just cant find out how much
Its not like shot bearings it just moves flat side to side 2mm ish and lifts up around 2mm ish! So not loads just wanted to no the deal...

pae58

Manual says "105 Nm (10.5 m . kgf, 76 ft . lbf)" Whatever the things in () mean ...

Greets from Germany,
Axel

9 Lives

These bearings are not adjustable so if your going to change them at 2mm play and most likely the shaft also, it's going to be an expensive bike. Just my opinion, your bike, your money

popeye

Well there is 100s of r6 and r1 owners asking the same thing 2mm side play
F@$ k the swingarm I'll ride it like I rent it.
She go's round a corner with the foot peg well on the floor when I fall off ill replace the bearings! Thanks for ever ones help.
If I find out what it's all about ill let you know...... to be continued!

popeye

It had to come off the yamaha dealer was as much help as a chocolate tea pot.
They just told me that side to side play like I have is not meant to be there! and they passed on what was needed to fix it WOW very helpful!
So I looked at all the parts and come up with the bush inside the swingarm must be to big.
I have took the swingarm out and to my eye the bush is to long
letting the bearings and swingarm move side to side over the bush and between the frame 2 or 3mm.
the right hand side suspension links have wear from all the movement.
The plan is to go see my very helpful yamaha monkeys and get some discount on parts!
Then replace the bush and see if if its smaller than the one that was factory fitted and hope it stops the side play.
If not ill have to mount a shock sideways!!!!!!!!!!
Has Anyone Had this wonderful issue before?

Last edited:

popeye

Found and fixed the problem
Yamaha suggested the bike or swingarm was bent!!!
But no not my pritty thing!
More like the swingarms has no bearing seats only a install depth so my bearings had been pushed in to far from new. Pulled them out and no more suspension rubbing or silly side play. SWEEEEEEEEEEEET.

NoNine4me

These bearings are not adjustable so if your going to change them at 2mm play and most likely the shaft also, it's going to be an expensive bike. Just my opinion, your bike, your money
On the other hand if it's not right, it needs fixed. Not a big deal but you need the bike off the ground and knock those bushings (I think they are bushings) out, then reinstall everything with new ones.

If the bike was ridden hard or in a lot of rain, that might explain it. You really should not be able to fee any play at all in the swingarm. Should be rock-solid.

9 Lives

On the other hand if it's not right, it needs fixed. Not a big deal but you need the bike off the ground and knock those bushings (I think they are bushings) out, then reinstall everything with new ones.

If the bike was ridden hard or in a lot of rain, that might explain it. You really should not be able to fee any play at all in the swingarm. Should be rock-solid.

Agreed, but he had a whole different problem than just a bit of wear in the bearings. They are needle type bearings.