Suspension

vinal_22

Hello,

I started riding Fazer 800 a few months back and within no time realized that I would need to do something about the suspension setup to push the bike better around a corner.
Mine is a 2010 model which has clocked only 16K(<9K when I got it in Sep 16)
I had set the rear suspension preload to max -1 and I felt better, but still no where how want it to be.
Front feels soft as well, especially the dive while braking.
I assume that putting thicker oil will improve the front, but what about the rear.

I am 80plus kg. Is FZ1 rear suspension a good option for me?
Or should I rather go for R1 suspension with an adapter?
Also is there a way I can get preload adjustment at front forks?

I am on a budget, so after markets are out of question :(

vinal_22

Hello,

I started riding Fazer 800 a few months back and within no time realized that I would need to do something about the suspension setup to push the bike better around a corner.
Mine is a 2010 model which has clocked only 16K(<9K when I got it in Sep 16)
I had set the rear suspension preload to max -1 and I felt better, but still no where how want it to be.
Front feels soft as well, especially the dive while braking.
I assume that putting thicker oil will improve the front, but what about the rear.

I am 80plus kg. Is FZ1 rear suspension a good option for me?
Or should I rather go for R1 suspension with an adapter?
Also is there a way I can get preload adjustment at front forks?

I am on a budget, so after markets are out of question :(

No answers? :(

Keach

Sorry this forum has been pretty dead. A lot of the guys moved over to another more general motorcycle forum and probably don't check in here as often.

I'm a light guy, but I upgraded the rear to the r1 with the adapter and the bike felt a lot more solid. I haven't done anything with the front shock, but some have reported fork oil made a difference. Others have done oil and racetech fork springs and reported good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went the route of the satan666 adaptor and used r1 shock also - makes a HUGE difference. however, ive noticed that when i finally got new tires thats when the bike began to shine. try the FZ1 shock, i know 14interceptor on here is trying to sell one right now. give him a shout. probably cut you a deal.
as for front forks - i've been wanting to upgrade those also but have not found a way i feel comfortable - the whole shock puller tool people are building isnt exactly fancy but seems to work - i just dont want to botch up my front suspension. i've seen the kits with the springs but they're not cheap. unless you get the $100 pair. hope that helps a tad.

nosupes4u

I recently bought the adapter/r1 shock and have the race tech springs and 10 at fork oil that I need to install. I guess if ya want I can report back when I have finished the mods.

vinal_22

Sorry this forum has been pretty dead. A lot of the guys moved over to another more general motorcycle forum and probably don't check in here as often.

I'm a light guy, but I upgraded the rear to the r1 with the adapter and the bike felt a lot more solid. I haven't done anything with the front shock, but some have reported fork oil made a difference. Others have done oil and racetech fork springs and reported good results.

I went the route of the satan666 adaptor and used r1 shock also - makes a HUGE difference. however, ive noticed that when i finally got new tires thats when the bike began to shine. try the FZ1 shock, i know 14interceptor on here is trying to sell one right now. give him a shout. probably cut you a deal.
as for front forks - i've been wanting to upgrade those also but have not found a way i feel comfortable - the whole shock puller tool people are building isnt exactly fancy but seems to work - i just dont want to botch up my front suspension. i've seen the kits with the springs but they're not cheap. unless you get the $100 pair. hope that helps a tad.

I recently bought the adapter/r1 shock and have the race tech springs and 10 at fork oil that I need to install. I guess if ya want I can report back when I have finished the mods.

Thanks a lot for response guys.

I have heard a lot about R1 shock being solid on FZ1/FZ8, but now that Satan adapter's aren't available plus the need to cut the bracket makes me think again about going that way.
FZ1 is direct bolt on and hence more tempted towards it. But I want to know if it makes a real difference or not.

nosupes4u

I have heard a lot about R1 shock being solid on FZ1/FZ8, but now that Satan adapter's aren't available plus the need to cut the bracket makes me think again about going that way.
FZ1 is direct bolt on and hence more tempted towards it. But I want to know if it makes a real difference or not.

Keach gave me the heads up to contact Rick on the Fz1 forum where he is still active. So I pmed him and he still has some adapters available. Just look for Satan666 on there and he can hook you up. The adapter was 85 + shipping. Good luck or hit up interceptor for his fz1 shock which is practically brand new.

I'd love to hear about / see pics of how you do the race tech springs install. thats what i'm wanting to do but too "scared" to do so.
so please do share!

nosupes4u

I'd love to hear about / see pics of how you do the race tech springs install. thats what i'm wanting to do but too "scared" to do so.
so please do share!

I was going to do the fork oil too but I think I'll just see how it is with the spring change first. So I'll try and remember to get pictures and possibly record it with my go pro. I doubt the forks are all that complex and hard to deal with. Also, it's 20 degrees outside so I'll probably wait til it warms up haha.

Keach

So obviously the r1 shock is better than the fz1 shock (hence a lot of the fz1 guys buying the adapters), and the fz1 shock is better than the fz8 shock. Totally your call, but I'm not sure I even had to trim the tray (it was a long time ago). The install was actually very easy and straight forward.

Bagman

HyperPro Streetbox. Spend the money and do it right, if you're gonna dump cash into a motorcycle that's basically the equivalent of a Honda Civic.... or don't go so fast in the corners... or spend money on a better motorcycle.

vinal_22

So obviously the r1 shock is better than the fz1 shock (hence a lot of the fz1 guys buying the adapters), and the fz1 shock is better than the fz8 shock. Totally your call, but I'm not sure I even had to trim the tray (it was a long time ago). The install was actually very easy and straight forward.

Noted. Will check out the R1 shock and adapter as well.

I was going to do the fork oil too but I think I'll just see how it is with the spring change first. So I'll try and remember to get pictures and possibly record it with my go pro. I doubt the forks are all that complex and hard to deal with. Also, it's 20 degrees outside so I'll probably wait til it warms up haha.
Which spring did you put in? Does the FZ1 springs fit in as well.

Keach gave me the heads up to contact Rick on the Fz1 forum where he is still active. So I pmed him and he still has some adapters available. Just look for Satan666 on there and he can hook you up. The adapter was 85 + shipping. Good luck or hit up interceptor for his fz1 shock which is practically brand new.
Sure will check it out.

A general question was, if I can add preload adjustment for the fork. What should I look for?