Stock fz8 shock, and 03 R1 shock

subxero

Stock 2012 fz8 shock

FZ8 shock is 2012, it is mint and can come with complete linkage if wanted. Dogbone + triangle linkage.

FZ8 shock with linkage $55 shipped CONUS

let me know if interested or have questions.

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I have two shocks I am looking to get rid of. Purchased them for some tinkering along with some other shocks and decided to go with one of the other shocks I had so I now have these to get rid of.

FZ8 shock is 2012, it is mint and can come with complete linkage if wanted. Dogbone + triangle linkage.

03 R1 shock, same dimensions as FZ8 shock except ~3/4" shorter with same size eyelets ect... I have seen people use some of the R1 shocks here as a swap mod.

I wish I had a FZ8 to see how it all fit into place, I noticed one person made some mounting bracket to make it work, I wonder if there is another more simple way?

Either way, shorter R1 shock if it bolts up will drop the rear of the bike, but you can generally pick it back up by using a shorter dogbone. stock fz8 dogbone is right around 216mm eye to eye. I would probably find or make a dogbone around 200mm eye to eye and see if that brought me back up to stock or better yet, buy used adjustable dogbone and take the guess work out of it. something like this. If you are crafty you can make one pretty cheap.

2004 2005 2006 Yamaha YZF R1 YZFR1 0 4 Adjustable Steel lowering Links Link Kit | eBay

The gas reservoir on the 03 is vertical up and down not horizontal (pics to come) not sure how this affects fitment vs horizontal 04-06 model

FZ8 shock with linkage $75 shipped CONUS
with out linkage $55 shipped CONUS

R1 shock $55 shipped CONUS (no linkage) but as mentioned stock FZ8 linkage all bolts on.

let me know if interested or have questions.

Sweet, somebody is gonna be happy.

Also, instead of adjustable linkage, a member on here named SATAN666 has adapters to fix the eye to eye length for the different year r1 shocks.

Also DONT be scared of the very small mods needed to fit it, IE: voltage regulator tray.

I did this shock swap with NO cutting or modifying and would gladly explain and or take pics for anyone who needed it.

For all things r1 shock related if you are concerned PM satan666 he was awesome with the questions I had.

Good luck with your sale.

subxero

Thanks for the encouragement and support!

I figured this should be a pretty easy swap mod and worth it's weight in gold.

Shock swap mods are probably the most bang for your buck you will ever get on a motorcycle that comes stock with non adjustable shock.

After you do this mod it will make you realize how bad the stock was and also make you realize how bad the front is too :eek: but for $250 new springs and emulators your front can be just as good and your suspension will be the total package... you won't regret it and will wonder how you road with out it :tup:

MotoZen

I wish i wasn't out of mod money right now :(

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

subxero

sorry for delay in pics. I took the spring off the R1 shock the other day and painted it quick just to make it look a little nicer and finally just got the spring back on the shock. It's getting late here but ill definitely grab a pic or two tomorrow and post up.

till then

Steve007_red

I have just bought an FZ8 and I've been told that i can change the front forks for R1 forks.
Is this true? And which year fits? my bike is a 2011
Best wishes from a newbee in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody146

Banned
I have just bought an FZ8 and I've been told that i can change the front forks for R1 forks.
Is this true? And which year fits? my bike is a 2011
Best wishes from a newbee in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do that...you have to get the whole r1 front end(forks, brakes, wheel, master cylinder) fz1 internals go right in to the8 forks..or you can get new springs set up for you.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
the only one for SURE that i know of, (cause i did it) is the 2007, 2008 R1 front wheel, axle, brakes, rotors, forks........

you don't kneed the brake lines (stock works)
you don't need the triple trees (stock works)

this will lower your front end by about 3/4 of an inch..... it will make your turn in kind of excessive unless you get a 07, 08 rear shock.....which needs a satan adapter or a custom length linkage setup.

there was an auzzie on here i think that was offering custom geometry linkage setups.....