Steering Stabilizer

Giddens

First of all, new to the Forum and New to the FZ8.
Just bought my bike in April and have put 4000 kms on it since. I love it. Coming off of mainly sport bikes (R6 and ZX6), i find this has more torque and more comfort.

I am wondering if anyone has installed a ebay steering stabilizer on their FZ8 and what is involved. This is one i was looking at
CNC Steering Damper Stabilizer FOR Yamaha YZF 600R 1000R FZ1 FZ6 FZ8 XJ6 | eBay

When i bought my bike it was completely stock.. Since then ive added
- Coffmans Exhaust
- LED Front signals
- Integrated LED Tail Light
- Gold Short Levers
- Fender eliminator
- Bar End Mirrors

Im getting more comfortable carrying the front tire so now would like to add a stabilizer and a more comfortable seat.

Any info on Stabilizer would be help

alexk

Weekend Rider
Steering stabilizers are a contentious topic, and I'll let someone with more experience pipe up.

I've put 14,000 miles on my FZ8 over the past 15 months, and only once have I encountered a situation where it would have helped - I was doing 80mph (the speed limit) into a gusty 50mph headwind which was blowing through the pylons of a freeway interchange. The result? Tank slap. Rather than try to wrest control, I loosened up on the bars, feathered the throttle, and sat upright - around 70mph the tank slap stopped.

What is it that makes you want a stabilizer?

Woody146

Banned
A proper suspension setup SHOULD cure the tank slap..I've had this happen (not that bad) about 5-7 times..I asked the suspension guru about this when I purchased my hyperpro springs and shock b/c hyperpro makes an excellent dampener..he said the proper suspension set up for you will cure this..I'll let y'all know next week when I get my sus. Installed...I may have a hyperpro dampener made

As for the ebay one...I'm not sure..only 2 companies actually make em for our bikes (Toby and matris) so I'm guessing it is copied off one of those

NoNine4me

Woody's right. The FZ8 is a very stable platform but weight, loading, tire, and suspension issues can cause handling problems. Get it set up right and there is no reason at all to be experiencing tank-slappers.

A worn tire(s), too stiff or too soft springs (mostly rear), a rear tire that's flat in the center, a front that's worn unevenly...the list goes on.

After 8500 miles I've got my bike set up real nicely but it took four different sets of tires and a lot of little changes to get it there.

Start with the basics, good tires, sag set correctly, correct spring for your weight, and at least try to get a used FZ1 shock if you can't afford a basic Ohlins replacement.

As far as the cheap steering stabilizer, stay away from it. A badly-designed steering damper creates more problems than it solves and your bike doesn't need one anyway.

If you do want to add one go with a name-brand like Ohlins or some other reputable company.

Last edited:

reALIGNed

In my opinion, its a waste of money.........it might provide the bling factor. Your FZ8's suspension is "set up" just fine stock, (could it be improved, of course). Like alexk said, he has 14,000 miles on his and noticed the tank slap once. Enjoy the bike the way it is and keep the aftermarket crap off of it.

Woody146

Banned
In my opinion, its a waste of money.........it might provide the bling factor. Your FZ8's suspension is "set up" just fine stock, (could it be improved, of course). Like alexk said, he has 14,000 miles on his and noticed the tank slap once. Enjoy the bike the way it is and keep the aftermarket crap off of it.

LOL! You think the suspension on your 12 is good!? It is garbage. The 13 has ok suspension.

reALIGNed

Never said it was good, ( notice how I said it could be improved)...........but for me its fine stock, and I too have many miles to say it does the job. Its a street bike, not a track bike, so I don't expect it to be at its best to satisfy every rider.

RD GUY

First of all, new to the Forum and New to the FZ8.
Just bought my bike in April and have put 4000 kms on it since. I love it. Coming off of mainly sport bikes (R6 and ZX6), i find this has more torque and more comfort.

I am wondering if anyone has installed a ebay steering stabilizer on their FZ8 and what is involved. This is one i was looking at
CNC Steering Damper Stabilizer FOR Yamaha YZF 600R 1000R FZ1 FZ6 FZ8 XJ6 | eBay

When i bought my bike it was completely stock.. Since then ive added
- Coffmans Exhaust
- LED Front signals
- Integrated LED Tail Light
- Gold Short Levers
- Fender eliminator
- Bar End Mirrors

Im getting more comfortable carrying the front tire so now would like to add a stabilizer and a more comfortable seat.

Any info on Stabilizer would be help

I got a TOBY stabilizer,easy install.